Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bill,

My wheelie bars are solid, and 55” long. I originally built them to conform to the NSCA Super Street rules. There was really no rule on the length. It was more of a “look” they wanted.

Well, I think my car would work better with a longer set of bars. Let’s throw out the rule book. My car is 3,100lb, runs on 33X10.5 W’s, 101” wheel base, auto trans. How long do you think the wheelie bars should be?

Also, if the bars are real long can I pin them to the axle (vs. bolt on) to make them easier to take off the car. I don’t think I can get the car in the trailer with a super long set of wheelie bars.

·
Registered
3,772 Posts
i have had alot of luck w/bars from 72-84" depending on the distance between the mounts on the housing(measure and call me).i would not pin them unless you spin up some bushings and weld them to the tabs to increase the surface area on the pin so you don't beat the holes out.eventually your tabs WILL fail

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Jim, just curious how long you ended up with. We're in the same boat with Chip Havemann's outlaw car. When K&B originally built it, they built it with 64" bars to conform to some class that Greathouse was going to run it in. Petty/Lynch have 95" bars on their ride. I'm just wondering what others are doing. I'm thinking we need a minimum of 85". Take care.

·
Super Moderator
9,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm still tire kicking but it seems that 80"+ is the way to go. Here's a couple of sets that Bill Gilsbach has done recently.

·
Registered
485 Posts
PRICE

NICE LOOKING BARS-
IM GONNA NEED A SET FOR MY TURBOCHARGED OUTLAW 10.5RIDE-

20" FOURLINK CENTERS-
85" LONG......
WHAT'S THE PRICE WITH THE KNURLED TOPS( LEFT LONG AT THE HOUSING TO FIT MY CAR) COMPLETE W/ ROD ENDS ETC...
SLIDERS, BRACING ETC...LIKE IN THE PICTURE POSTED-----

PROBABLY USE WHEEL-EZ WHEELS?

DAVE
843-250-0163

·
Bring on the Metal!!
9,483 Posts
We run our 82" Wheelie bars pinned and have for over a year now with no issues as long as you run high strength pins.. We actually broke the rod ends last weekend on a launch but the pins are still holding strong and still fit nice and snug. We run 7.30s with 1.13 60fts on 10.5s so it's not a slug either.. :-D

·
Super Moderator
9,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the info Dan. I know the bars will have to come off to fit the car in the trailer. Pinning them on would make life easier but I don't want to degrade performance or safety.

·
Super Moderator
9,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Bill, this is probably the easiest place to send you this info. Here's what I have now for bars. I have also included a couple of pics of the bumper to give you an idea of the clearance.

·
Registered
4,950 Posts
steve hurt said:
That is a sweet lookin car....
It really is....You should see it run, it's like it's on a turn table!! You see every side of the car when standing in one place!!! :lol:

·
Super Moderator
9,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I thought those foam blocks in the middle of the track were set up for a slalom course? :smt017

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
The longer the bar the softer the hit on the tires as they make contact. We have two Outlaw/Super Street 10.5 type cars going 1.11-1.12 with 60" bars, and have build 84" bars for teams that felt they needed them. It's an interesting topic, and one that has as much to do with knowledge of shocks and bar wall thicknesses of the bars as anything. There is no magic length, just a magic combination for any given car. Look at B GLiddens car, short bars, very very quick- granted it is very light, but it makes the long bar theory look goofy in the staging lanes.

It also should be mentioned that after a certain length the bars need to be 'strapped' or given the wraparound treatment to avoid the upper bar having uncontrolled movement, or flexing in the wrong direction. That adds to stiffness and negates some of the advantage of the long bar as far as absorption goes. We ran through four sets of bars on our 1.02-1.04 car last year figuring that out... Your chassis builder should be abkle to help.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts