Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever seen an et difference with a lighter wheel/tire combination? Everyone says there should be but I am wondering if anyone has actually tested to see.

·
Registered
95 Posts
how light a wheel/tire combo and compared to what?

Also the weight of the race car and it's performance has a lot to do with potential gains.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I, like most racers, have seen and difference in size and width of front tires, the taller the front tire the faster the car will go. I know that you can see a difference in compound and choice of tire, pending radial or slick. It all truly depends on combination of your car and what it likes, will determine gain or loss of mph or ET. Without knowing the car or combo I would believe a good set of rims and tires should help close to 5 hundredths min. I know it did for my car.

·
ProStock Jackstand Winner
25,123 Posts
Depends on what you started with.

I went from a set of stockers(front and rear) with slicks to a set of Weld's(draglites) skinnies and 10's with slicks and it picked up 1.5 seconds

Then I went from Welds to a set of Holeshot's and picked up 5 hundredth's

Lighter reciprocating mass equals faster acceleration

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Right now I have 7" Centerline wheels with Goodyear Eagle street tires that are 245/60r15 on the front. Car has ran a best of [email protected] in the 1/8. I will be testing a set of 3.5" draglights with 28x4.5 on the front. Just wondering what kind of gain I might see.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
way back when my car was a 14 second f-body I picked up 2 tenths in the 1/4 going from
the stock fronts to weld draglites with 165 R-15 street tires..

with tires that wide it's not only the weight but also
the added friction..expecially if your alignment is out ..even a little..

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Here is an extreme instance for you. Nearly everyone know that the more power you have the less that wt matters, but in my case it involves drag racing a 3 banger Geo Metro with 55 hp in the United Manual Transmission Racers Series when my 12 second SRT4 Neon was sitting with a broken axle. The car was lightened up by 100 lbs and no mods on the drivetrain at all. The best et was 19.84 with the stock 13s. I put some much better looking 195x50x15s on it but were 32 lbs total heavier, so I took an extra 32 lbs out of the interior....best run made while launching the same and shifting the same was 20.7...ugh...since then I put on a new set of 13s that are 40 lbs lighter than the 15s and I have one pass in at 18.76. According to my hp calculator that pass is exaxtly what it should have run with the extra 40 lbs less wt compared to when it originally had 13s.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts