Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 15x7 with a 5.5" back space, and i want to go to a 15x10 what size back space would need to not move the tire at all just the wider wheel, i'm thinking it would be 15x10 with a 7.5" bs
i know i read somewhere what to add but i cant remember

·
Registered
107 Posts
Going from a 7" wide wheel to a 10" wide wheel is adding 3". That needs to go on the outside (so don't change the BS), the inside (BS goes from 5.5" to 8.5") or a combination (in the example you gave the 7.5"bs would add 2" to the inside and 1" to the outside.)

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah but adding it to the outside is going to push the wheel out lip out more than i have room for, i have a 295-65-15 on my nova now that is about a half inch away from the wheel well lip and i want to got to a 10" wheel to get more contact patch with out changing how the wheel sits in the well

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
I don't understand, where do you have room for the extra width if you only have a 1/2 inch at the lip. If you have room inside just add the extra width to the backspace you have now if you don't have any room you don't have any room. A wider wheel will make the whole sidewall wider. If you want to keep the wheel centered where it is not which will add 1 1/2 inches to each side then divide that 3 inches in half and add that to your current B/S.

·
Registered
107 Posts
If you want to add 3" overall and you are a 1/2" from the wheel lip then you better have room for 3" to the inside (which I doubt you have on a stock length rear end/standard wheel well Nova.) Either you are going to have to narrow the rear, add wheel tubs (or mini-tubs) or both. Take your wheel off, put a large straight edge across your wheel mounting face (probably the brake drum or disc monting hat) and start measuring back to the nearest thing you hit: leaf spring, wheel well inner,etc. Add a little for tire sidewall bulge and clearance to tire sidewall and that will tell you the biggest backspace you have room for (I doubt that it is 8.5").

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
it does have mini tubs and it is a ladder bar car, there is about an inch and a half on the back side, with using a 7"wide rim with a tire that is 11" wouldnt it not really start to get wider till the rim size excedes the tire width? right now the tire is all balooned out on the rim, i want it too look more squared

1 - 7 of 7 Posts