Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I just want to here your thoughts on a mexican block compared to stock 87-93 standard block.I hear they have higher nickel content im not 100% sure about that tho and are beefier as in more metal in area's that the regular block doesn't have thats a fact because I saw a side by side comparison of the two.Also would you be able to use the stock crank,rods,and pistons from the standard h.o. block in the mexican block? So let me hear your opinions.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
they arent any better

·
Registered
552 Posts
They're not blocked already??? That would explain the no habla lawn guy! LOL!

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Okay all jokes aside.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Okay all jokes aside.

They arent much stronger the a stock block, if your going to be making power to break a stock block you will break the mexican block. Step up to a r block or a dart block. Something that will handle 1000+ hp. No reason to build a motor twice imo. I learnt this the hard and expensive way.

·
H&H Racing
10,919 Posts
There's a guy out here has been runnin a mexican block on a 306 with a novi 2000 and a wet nozzle street races it alot and hasnt broke it yet

·
Registered
557 Posts
There's a guy out here has been runnin a mexican block on a 306 with a novi 2000 and a wet nozzle street races it alot and hasnt broke it yet
If it's making power, it's running on borrowed time!!!!!

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Try a polish block, they require fewer head bolts. Less torquing don't you know.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Had a friend with one and he kept wearing out the rings in it....He said it was because the block having more nickel in it...If you run a stock block make sure you find one from 1970 to about 1978...A 302 block is good up to 500 hp & 351 block good to 600 hp tops...And thats with concrete & a girdle...anything else your flirting with rods in the pavement....:smt071

·
Registered
11,270 Posts
They are slightly stronger..... But in the end a good aftermarket block is a better investment.

And girdles aren't worth a shit. All they do is keep the pieces in a nice little pile. The blocks still break exactly the same way.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I had a 408 with 650 hp put 200 passes on it pulled motor down & the block looked great, it was a 1974 model..A friend built the same motor with a late model 5.0 block & split the block in 30 passes...Thats the differance......But R block or dart is the way to go for big HP.:rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts