Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few years ago me and a few buds were driving to Texas for the Supra meet. There were 3 of us exactly and we leave Vegas and go straight through to Houston. Long story short my buddy Dana did the 1st leg and tried to go as far as he could. I'm sitting shotgun and fall asleep.....were about 13-14 hrs in and it's night and i hear a weird sound and wake up. I notice we're drifting over to the emergency lane:smt103 Uh oh!! So i look over and see him driving with his head back SNORING!!!! I quickly weigh my options and decide to tap him on his shoulder lightly and say "hey bud". He looks over at me and asks "what's up". I calmly say "you're driving" and point forward. His eyes go WIDE and he pulls the rig back over and rolls the window down breathing quite heavy:rolleyes: Mind you this is a Chevy crewcab diesel pickup with a 32' bumper pull loaded to the hilt!!

I can hardly even type without snickering...but it wasn't really all that funny at the time. It's HILARIOUS now though!!!

·
Registered
681 Posts
I was towing a 26 tag with a 4door chevy heading to the michigan nmca race years ago and in the middle of the night a car came off a car carrier in front of us and it was like a bomb went off in that car, pieces everywhere and were doin 80. Had it in the grass median to avoid it and I still dont know how we didnt crash ourselves. it was crazy!

·
spoolin...
4,394 Posts
we were pulling a 48' ft gooseneck with a F350 with all bullydog stuff in it and a top sportsman/quick 8 corvette in the trailer. guy driving i consider my uncle was, at the time, a shelby county, tn sheriff. headed to Memphis on 385 and we were kinda late so we were not exactly slugging along. anyways, a definitely not stock duramax pulling about the same size trailer comes up pretty quick behind us and kinda evens up with us. its about 3 miles to the exit for the track. they both look at each other, and then they're off. craziest shit i've ever seen. two 60+ ft., who knows how heavy, rigs doing 90-95 down an interstate. lol black smoke everywhere, wind noice is crazy as hell. it was pretty fucking cool when you're like 12 years old.

·
Registered
887 Posts
I saw Jack Barefield pull a u turn in the ' naner @ shadyside dragway ....in the parking lot.

I "think" it was like 70-80' long toter and trailer......it looked 100 +

·
Registered
8,019 Posts
heading back from vegas after turkey shoot in 2007, we are on the high desert headed to ely. Im clicking @ 80 in my toter with a stacker. soon in the side mirror i see truck lights and coming fast. another toter and stacker rail by me. i stuff it to the wood and start drafting him.

well
after about 10 minutes of a 100 mph or more because my speedo goes 95 and it was pegged past. i came to a reality if we get pulled over. i am going to jail, DIRECTLY TO JAIL.
so i backed the hell off. he kept going... good thing i have 3.55's in that truck..

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
I watched a car roll off a trailer at 60mph and pass us in the left lane one night. Followed it down an embankment and through a field too. :smt081
So I am reading this on my phone and can only see the writing in the posts and have to scroll over to see the avatar and person who posted. While reading, I thought, "that sounds like d's incident". Then i scrolled over and busted out laughing. Lol

·
Registered
248 Posts
We were headed to the county fair towing a 32ft gooseneck with a 11,000lb Super-Farm tractor on the back. Chipped duramax was hauling that thing down the back country roads at 60-65mph like it wasn't even attached. After about 5 minutes of sliding off the edge of the road, hitting apexes like the second coming of Parnelli Jones, my buddy's wife says "uhh....the trailer's back there". Buddy says "uuuh, yeah" and continues hauling ass.

We get to the stop sign probably ten miles down the road and he looks in the mirror and says "damn, the trailer IS back there". We went a little slower the rest of the way.

My brother went with my buddy when they went to BFE West Virgina to pick up a crew cab dually. 70mph uphill and 80mph downhill had old brother-man shitting his pants. Cost a fortune in fuel too at 8mpg!

My dad always told good one. It's March, 1989 and they are hauling my uncle's Land Rover to the new owner in PA. Driving dad's new 6.2 diesel Suburban, hauling an old tow dolly with surge brakes...my uncle is running 85-90mph, giving that poor 6.2 hell (the LandRover wieghed a good 5000lbs), and they get passed like they're standing still by some dude in an RX7.

A few miles down the road, they are on an entrance ramp running about 65mph when it starts pouring ice and sleet. Whole rig starts sliding straight sideways onto the highway, then the trailer starts fishtailing. My uncle is pounding on the brakes the whole time, trying to get the surge brakes to grab, but not shit happens. He finally looks over and says "like it or not, we're gonna merge" and they slide onto the freeway. I have no idea how it happened, but they got there and back in one piece....LOL.

·
Registered
6,315 Posts
I'm towing back from gainesville one foggy night, ahead in my lane are 2 deer, I drag the brake and swap lanes and 3 more come out of the woods in front of me. Missed the last one by 2 feet.

·
I am The Dentist
50,953 Posts
I was driving to Bonneville in '07 with my boy... we're in Kansas, where you can see the horizon. Coming in east-bound lanes, I see something that doesn't look quit right. As we're getting close, I can't figure out what the hell this 4-dr diesel dually is pulling behind it. About 1/2 mile away I realize it's an enclosed trailer, and as he gets closer I can see that both tires on the driver's side are blown and riding on the rims, the fender is shredded and slowly flapping, the whole frame of the trailer is torqued from riding on two blown tires with the wheels getting smaller in diameter, and the barn doors in the back have sprung open and are swinging in the breeze.
That truck passed us doing at least 80mph.
I can't imagine how long he must have been towing it like that.

-Brad

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Damn and i thought i had a good story!!! Keep em coming guys!!

I'll add another....on the way back from that race we had a caravan going with about 4 other rigs. We get some news outside of San Antonio that there is a BAD storm coming. We all take a vote on whether to head on or get a room and wait it out. Needless to say it was a smart decision!!! Turns out a tornado crossed our would be path out of town. And it was a really really bad storm!!! We were all in the hotel partying and kinda freakin out at the storm. I've been in some bad desert storms and even hurricanes in Florida...but this things was violent and nasty!

On the way home the next day we were driving next to our buddy Cody and had our walkies on....we said "hey why don't you".....and he slammed on the brakes on the freeway ready for a rig race!!! We laughed so hard cause we didn't even get the words out and he was hittin brakes!!

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was driving to Bonneville in '07 with my boy... we're in Kansas, where you can see the horizon. Coming in east-bound lanes, I see something that doesn't look quit right. As we're getting close, I can't figure out what the hell this 4-dr diesel dually is pulling behind it. About 1/2 mile away I realize it's an enclosed trailer, and as he gets closer I can see that both tires on the driver's side are blown and riding on the rims, the fender is shredded and slowly flapping, the whole frame of the trailer is torqued from riding on two blown tires with the wheels getting smaller in diameter, and the barn doors in the back have sprung open and are swinging in the breeze.
That truck passed us doing at least 80mph.
I can't imagine how long he must have been towing it like that.

-Brad
:smt103:rolleyes:

·
Beer me!!
22,507 Posts
My bro and I pulled his 30 ft. enclosed through Chicago durring rush hour. That's crazy enough right there I thought!! Oh yeah, and we didn't have a license plate on the trailer the whole way from Indiana to Montana. That's all I got. :p

·
King of all Assclowns
11,308 Posts
Damn I aint got nothing on most of you guys, probably the best i got is about a year ago I was pulling my buddys drift car to a race down on the coast from Houston on a dual axle lowboy. First, on the highway a guy he knows that i dont know pulls up beside us in a dodge dually pulling an enclosed 28' foot with another drift car in it and starts fucking with me. We slow to about 40 on I45 at 6am, 3 honks and we both stomp it, finally got up to about 95 before he let off cause he started to fishtail.

Same trip on the way back hit some railroad tracks going ENTIRELY too fast, looked in the rear view mirror in time to see 3 out of the 4 wheels of the 240 off the trailer, when i turned back around traffic was at a stand still in front of us. This was about the point where i had to stab the brakes and pray to Jesus we didn't hit anything.

Nothing TOO crazy thats about all i got though

·
I am The Dentist
50,953 Posts
I crewed for a Targe Newfoundland race car a few years ago: open-deck trailer, Shelby Mustang clone towed with his Chevy Suburban.
He kept it just off the rev limiter from Virginia all the way to the dock in New Brunswick, and then across the island. The rev limiter hit at 105 or 115, I don't remember.
The Canadians would always warn us that we couldn't use our radar detector up there. To which one of us would always reply "Oh, it's okay... they can't give us a ticket because we don't have a Canadian driver's license."
The look on their faces was worth the trip!

-Brad

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Here's another.....this one was just NOT SMART! Back in 01 we were heading to Cali to tune my buddy Dana's car (same dude) in my 00 Denali SUV. This thing was NOT equipped to tow and we had a flatbed w/o trailer brakes on it. The Supra had to be loaded nose heavy and thus the rearend of my rig was DUMPED! Then load up 5 guys that have been up too long.....45 mph crosswinds....construction barricades along our left side and cars on our right. Oh and did i mention i was doing 75-80?!!! There was a few times that we could read the stickers on the side of the car!!! I was white knuckled the ENTIRE way!! Oh the chances we take when we're young and STUPID!!!!

·
Registered
247 Posts

took this rig from phoenix to kansas city. straight through no stopping except for gas. after 12 hours of driving i let my wife drive (figured straight down the highway would be fine) except for the wet off ramp in oklahoma. i'm out cold and am violently awaken to an f350 sliding up an offramp with the tires screeching and a trailer with locked up brakes and bouncing behind the truck. if i was older i might have had a heart attack! i made the drive the rest of the way in.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

took this rig from phoenix to kansas city. straight through no stopping except for gas. after 12 hours of driving i let my wife drive (figured straight down the highway would be fine) except for the wet off ramp in oklahoma. i'm out cold and am violently awaken to an f350 sliding up an offramp with the tires screeching and a trailer with locked up brakes and bouncing behind the truck. if i was older i might have had a heart attack! i made the drive the rest of the way in.
So the trailer brakes saved the day you're sayin? It was your rig pictured yeah? That's not a light setup but at least its a longbed for stability :)

·
Registered
247 Posts
So the trailer brakes saved the day you're sayin? It was your rig pictured yeah? That's not a light setup but at least its a longbed for stability :)
yeah pretty much, it would have just slid through the stop sign and back onto the on ramp lol. the wife has a mazda 3 a little different than that set-up

·
Ask me about my Weiner!..
7,810 Posts
I've got more than a few lol...

15 yrs old, just got my learners permit.. I'm pullin a 35ft GN in a 94 F-250 with a 351W and a 5 speed, coming back hauling hay I rolled across the scales at 28K LBS, and my dad is passed out in the passenger seat the entire 250 miles back home... I had hauled trailers since I was little bitty, but first time on the highway with that much weight..

Going to Colorado in my '00 F-250 pulling a 6 horse w/ tack room GN trailer loaded down with camping supplies. It was heavy, not horrible, but it was all there. We were headed up going Elk hunting for 2 weeks.. I'm rollin through the mountains ( around 1-2am, dark as fuck ), get on a very steep downhill run, I'm droppin gears, riding those brakes trying to keep things reasonable.. A hundred yards in front of me a Cow Elk steps out, I start gettin HARD on the brakes. I dont know if I said it out loud or not, but the only thing that came to mind was " oh fuck ".. She moves on over to the other lane, I relax a little, but still slowing fast.. Another Cow Elk comes out, and just stands there... I literally came within 5ft of hitting this thing. While stopping in the back of my head I could picture the ball snapping off in the bed, and the nose of that trailer going right through the cab, I was stopping that hard. I get it stopped, fuckin brakes are fried, my hands are stuck to the steering wheel, there is a imprint of a brake petal in the floor board.. She just stood there, looked back, and here comes a calf.. Calf gets to the other side of the road, both Cows got of the road, all while I'm wipin my ass with the foam my butt pinched out of the seat..

Same thing happened the next yr in my 97 Dodge Ram, except I wasnt pulling a trailer, but was loaded down with firewood, and that bitch was A LOT closer.. I actually got out of the truck for a breather over that one..

Most recently, I'm hauling round bales on a round bale trailer.. When loaded they are wider than the road, if you've seen one you know what I'm talking about... I'm slowing down getting ready to turn into the driveway, got my blinker on, slightly get into the shoulder to swing.. I start turnin, look in my mirror and there is a fuckin car, UNDER these round bales, maybe 3 inchs from actually hitting the trailer frame ( which about as wide as a pickup truck frame ).. Headed straight for the truck ( broad side ). I slam on the brakes, lay on the horn, left arm out the window with my finger in the air.... Fuckin bastard was trying to pass me on the left, as I'm turning left. Does he stop or slow down? Nope, he hits the ditch, swerves back on the road and drives away.. Happens about 3 times out of 10 when turning into my fuckin driveway with a trailer, fuckin moron's... I've never seen what a 1500 LBS round bale does to the roof of a car, but I have a feeling that someday, I'll find out. I have however seen some looks of utter fear in my mirrors lookin at some of these folks..

Hell just today, I'm going home from work, taking my Mustang home in the enclosed.. Get off the highway getting ready to hit the loop.. I'm cruisin 70 mph, I let off the gas and coasted to the off ramp no different than anyone would do, it's a fairly short off ramp, you have to slow quickly, but nothing crazy by any means.. Right where the ramp merges into the service road is the outlet for a truck stop.. There was a truck sitting there, figured he'd be smart enough to wait for me to get off..... Naaa, he pulls on out there... He must have kept this thing in 1st gear, cuz he was barely movin.. Once again, I'm on the fuckin brakes.. I almost ate his bumper.. The whole time standing still type thing, I counted all the LED's in his tail lights...... I was sure to give him the finger after the stop light, not sure he could see it through all the black smoke or not, but I sure felt a little better.. I might have even jumped out in front of him and brake checked him, I dont recall ;)

I've got a ton more, but it always seems to end up with me trashin a set of brakes.. I dont drive crazy with a trailer, dont drive aggressive, just normal.. People always bitch when stuck behind a trailer thats moving slowly, what they dont realize is there is probably a reason why. Those of us that tow a lot tend to take it slow cuz we've had the shit scared out of us too many times.. A long time ago it seems like people actually respected a vehicle pulling a trailer ( for the most part ), now days I swear they have a death wish.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts