Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
22,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I always hear some crazy numbers on what it takes to race per year and I was wondering what some of the other teams spend per year. I try to keep my costs around 20K but usually end up closer to 40K per year. I consider myself a low budget racer but I guess I'm just trying to figure out what others spend to race and I'm not talking what you tell your wife you spend either lol.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Thanks for posting Bill. Budget discussion brings out crickets.

7 yrs ago we ran a 2900lb roots BBC car about 6 races per year and spent about 12k per season after winnings. The car ran 4 teens but most of the time we ran local tracks in the mid 4's . The combo was low maint. and won quite a bit.

That was the good old days...
Id say our chevy with a screw was still a very solid setup going high 3s @2660lbs with 40 runs before needing work.
The cost per season got blurry because we had a couple crashes and never shut down for winter. Even with two hits it was less than 20k per season but only 4 races.

Our hemi has been a total bad luck moneypit. It cost a lot to buy it and it broke a crank before it even produced a decent number.With a cheap ass chevy you can afford to risk pushing parts longer but the bae is so expensive we cant afford an issue so its showered in fresh stuff.
Last season the hemi ran low 380s in the spring and beat us into the ground with ignition problems for 26 runs. Won a couple thousand and spent a little over 25k.
We've only run once this season and won so its off to a good start but I figure 3 races max.

·
Drunk and Disorderly
2,251 Posts
Are you guys including travel, feeding the crew, hotels if necessary, maintenance costs for race car and towing equipment?? With our Canadian $$ what it is it will be a big number. I won't include booze because then the $$ just gets stupid big lol

·
Registered
22,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Are you guys including travel, feeding the crew, hotels if necessary, maintenance costs for race car and towing equipment?? With our Canadian $$ what it is it will be a big number. I won't include booze because then the $$ just gets stupid big lol
Yes I include everything in that number but Canadian and booze probably would be my whole budget lol.

·
T/S 368E
32,423 Posts

I include everything, breakage, engine refresh, tow vehicle, trailer, new equipment/tools, race & diesel fuel, food, gatorade etc.

Back when I raced full time, and still worked full time, I set aside $1,000 a week.
That covered racing 3-4 days a week.
I also admit, I didn't build anything, so engines, trans, gear changes etc were sent out.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Thanks for posting Bill. Budget discussion brings out crickets.

7 yrs ago we ran a 2900lb roots BBC car about 6 races per year and spent about 12k per season after winnings. The car ran 4 teens but most of the time we ran local tracks in the mid 4's . The combo was low maint. and won quite a bit.

That was the good old days...
Id say our chevy with a screw was still a very solid setup going high 3s @2660lbs with 40 runs before needing work.
The cost per season got blurry because we had a couple crashes and never shut down for winter. Even with two hits it was less than 20k per season but only 4 races.

Our hemi has been a total bad luck moneypit. It cost a lot to buy it and it broke a crank before it even produced a decent number.With a cheap ass chevy you can afford to risk pushing parts longer but the bae is so expensive we cant afford an issue so its showered in fresh stuff.
Last season the hemi ran low 380s in the spring and beat us into the ground with ignition problems for 26 runs. Won a couple thousand and spent a little over 25k.
We've only run once this season and won so its off to a good start but I figure 3 races max.
you running witchita on the 25-26? if so may see you there, then they will have 2 poor guy promods lol

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
I think we'll be there. Used to be a good track for the little guy but the prep is so good now you have to bring some hp.
lol back in the day running 6.90's in the 1/4 4.50 in the 1/8 you were going to win one of the 5000.00 races now running 4 flat is not going to get it done

·
Registered
777 Posts
We spent $86K running 5.0 in ORSCA in 2008. That included new motor and transmission ($27K) and all of the travel and testing that we did. I don't see how you do it on $20K per year. Tires, gas, diesel fuel, food per weekend would be at least $2K per weekend I would think. That doesn't count motor/trans freshen ups and other misc. parts that have to be replaced throughout the year. How many races are you guys running?

·
T/S 368E
32,423 Posts
We spent $86K running 5.0 in ORSCA in 2008.
That included new motor and transmission ($27K) and all of the travel and testing that we did.
I don't see how you do it on $20K per year. Tires, gas, diesel fuel, food per weekend would be at least $2K per weekend I would think.
That doesn't count motor/trans freshen ups and other misc. parts that have to be replaced throughout the year.
How many races are you guys running?

Agree, how in the heck are guys running so fast, doing it so cheap????
I thought $50,000 a year for my slow junk was doing good.
Like I said, that should include everything.

·
Registered
22,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
We put rods in our motor after 50 1/4 mile passes. We've ran tires as many as 30 passes but once they drop off more than .02 to the 60ft then we switch them out. Valve springs last most of the season because we don't crank our car over 9600.

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
Shit i spend 15k before leavin driveway on support equipment , then fuel , etc.... Let alone parts, tires, fuel, nitrous

·
Registered
19,128 Posts
All of this is somewhat silly when the cost of the car isn't even mentioned. Some people have spent over $200K for a new roller and get a new one every year. Some buy 2 new engines every year. I'd personally hate to boil all that down on a per race basis!

·
Drunk and Disorderly
2,251 Posts
All of this is somewhat silly when the cost of the car isn't even mentioned. Some people have spent over $200K for a new roller and get a new one every year. Some buy 2 new engines every year. I'd personally hate to boil all that down on a per race basis!
I ain't one of those guys lol, I can barely afford to buy more than 2 new sets of slicks a season. About 20 grand with diesel and maintenance on toter home, race fuel, misc race car parts, food for crew, race entry fee's and an engine freshen up every season. This is a top sportsman car and 6 or 7 races a year. Of course this is Canadian dollars for me, short season and all racing in Canada for now, 6 to 12 hrs each way per race. 25+ grand a year if I count crew booze. Didn't race this year, oil prices suck and my racing is directly connected to the price of oil (I am a contractor, no work no racing)

·
Registered
314 Posts
This I can't wait to finish the car and race it
Running the car will feel so cheap vs building it the last 2 years

·
Registered
19,128 Posts
This I can't wait to finish the car and race it
Running the car will feel so cheap vs building it the last 2 years
I hear that. Seems like you can never buy enough parts & pieces to get them finished. And you're right, once they're done it seems a lot cheaper to just go race!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts