Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my DD 01 Camaro is getting a upgrade and wanted to see what y'all thought before pullin the trigger on it,

Gole is a 500whp all motor Camaro and clame it's stock

Im thinking a 11.5/12 to 1 383 ls1, fully done up stock 241 heads (flowing 315 cfm +) stock ls6 intake (to keep the under hood looking stock. Stock 5.7 block stock 242 head Exc)

Dont know what cam yet but I want a cam that would sound almost stock,

Does this sound realistic if so what cam, iv seen 500whp head cam ls1 Camaros with AFRs and huge cams, but with bigger CI and higher compression I think I can run a sleeper cam...

·
LSXTTFMF
927 Posts
Only way I see it happening is on a happy dyno. All the stiff you listed to keep it sleeper are going to severly choke it up.

·
Registered
258 Posts
come on guys 12's ain't hard at all with just a cam and no compression on a stock ls car with a little traction help and some headers

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
come on guys 12's ain't hard at all with just a cam and no compression on a stock ls car with a little traction help and some headers
12's?? Went went 11.70 on a small cam converter and a tire. Thats it.
The OP said he wanted 500RWHP . Doesn't mention anything about what ET he wants to run.
11.5/12to1 means compression ratio.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Use 243/799 heads instead of 241's, use a Fast 90/92/102 instead of a LS6, and use a cam that will make power, rather than one that sounds like stock. Even with AFR heads and a Fast intake, you see far more cars making 440-450 rwhp than 500 rwhp with a LS1. You need to realize a 383 will need a bigger set of heads, intake and cam than a LS1.

Way back in the day I had a guy do this, his peak rwhp numbers were barely better than the same parts on a LS1. It will make more torque down low though.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So even with the stock 241s all done up flowing over 300cfm its not going to be enough?
Any suggestions on a cam that would be a better fit?
I'd like to keep the ls6 intake for now Iv seen a good amount of people make power with them and got allot of mixed reviews on the fast intake.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
we made 500 with a 408 with ported 5.3's and a ls6 intake. the cam wasn't near stock sounding though.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
So even with the stock 241s all done up flowing over 300cfm its not going to be enough?
I'd like to keep the ls6 intake for now Iv seen a good amount of people make power with them and got allot of mixed reviews on the fast intake.

if you're hearing mixed reviews from the FAST intake, you're listening to the wrong people. Anybody that has any sense can make power with the FAST 102

Oh yeah, there's alot more to a head than the intake flow numbers

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
Near stock-sounding is hard to pull, but I recall hearing some 218/218//116 type of stuff back in the day that would stockish. I also remember hearing a 216/220/115 a while back too... Just some rambling.

·
Registered
715 Posts
You could try to make the 241's work if you already have them, otherwise at least try to get the 243/799 heads. If you get 241's to flow the same as a pair of 243's/799's the later will make 20 lb ft more tq and around 10 more hp because of the chamber. ECS made 600 rwhp with our LS6 heads on a hyd roller 440 with a Fast, so they have the capability to make a lot of power. Did you see the Hot Rod cathedral port test? http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/...te_chevrolet_ls_cylinder_head_test/index.html

For cam, since you have the LS6 intake, I think you have to delay IVO to 2 degrees btdc because you can't lose an ounce of air through that intake during overlap. Because of the restrictive intake I think you have to delay the IVC (to fill the cylinder) to 51-53 degrees abdc. So that puts you at a 234 intake lobe with a 115 icl.

Once again, you want to minimize the airflow loss during overlap, so I would close the exhaust by 2 degrees atdc. I would open the exhaust at 60 degrees bbdc (I know this sounds early, but it is the same opening point as a stock LS9 cam) So that puts you at a 242 exhaust lobe on a 119 lsa.

So the cam would be a 234/242 on a 117+2, I know this sounds half ignorant to most, but considering your parts, and your desire to make a lot of peak HP, it would be the way I would go. Your overlap would be 4 degrees with this cam.

I personally prefer the LSL lobes, in which case go 235/243 117+2 this wider LSA would also help your idle quality and your overlap would be 5 degrees.

Hope this helps.

·
LSXTTFMF
927 Posts
That's really close to a G5x3 only a slightly different LSA and ICL.

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
Does this sound realistic.
No, I think you fighting a losing battle. You have to many stock part restrictions for the hp you want. I used to build a lot of LS grudge cars so I can understand why you might want to build a sleeper but there are cheaper and easier ways to go faster and still look and sound fairly stock. There is a fine line though, you can't have a 100% stock looking and sounding car and 500rwhp something will have to give.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts