Yellow Bullet Forums banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3,911 Posts
We parked next to a truck ambulance pulling a enclosed trailer with a Nostalgia Super Stock class A body Mopar at the NMCA finals at Indy last weekend. Looked like a good combo. Husband, wife, 3 dogs.

·
T/S 368E
25,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #22

Shop is a rental, I'm not a rich Michigan guy like you, Illinois steals it as quick as I earn it :(
So no 10 acres with a 50 x 100 shop like I want!!

·
Registered
98 Posts
What about a short bus school bus with a cummins or even a 7.3L?

·
T/S 368E
25,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #25

I'm thinking those short transit buses might be worth looking at also, but now I know the ambulances are on bad ass chassis's.
I dod not want a little yellow school bus, that will NEVER happen.
I don't know why, but every time I see those converted I say that is frigging ugly!!!
Definitely no 7.3's, way to under powered. My back up truck is a 7.3, and after towing a few years with a 6.7, I'm spoiled & admit it!!!

·
T/S 368E
25,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #26

·
Registered
6,378 Posts

Shop is a rental, I'm not a rich Michigan guy like you, Illinois steals it as quick as I earn it :(
So no 10 acres with a 50 x 100 shop like I want!!

Move straight west. 24 acres here still in Illinois. The state sucks. But it sucks worst the closer you are to Chi Town.

·
T/S 368E
25,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #28

My next move is Dyer, IN. Already looking for a sugar mama that wants a sex toy to play with.
She must own at least 5 acres, and zoned for a 50x100 out building!!!!

·
Registered
394 Posts
Not trying to hijack this thread (guess I am really).
Dogg, when you say the 6.4 has oiling, fuel and water issues. Do you know of a way to fix these issues? Is there a certain company making parts to correct these issues??

Here is my take on the 6.4, which means absolutely nothing. The trucks that they put these in simply don't have the real estate to keep them cool. They need bigger radiators and intercooler and more air flow over them.

My plan is to put a better radiator, Intercooler and a cowl hood on mine after rebuilding it. Keep an eye on egt's, change the oil religiously and don't idle the truck extended amount of time.

Please save me the headache of doing this if it is just a waste of time. I know the general consensus is these engines are junk. I think if the same amount of effort was put into these as the 6.0 it would be superior to the 6.0. Again, I am far from a diesel mechanic. I am just stating my opinion here based on research I have done on the 6.4. Please correct me if I am way off base.

·
T/S 368E
25,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #30

G knows his stuff, when I was looking at buying a F550 with a 6.4 he told me the fuel system was crap, run away.
I went to look at the truck, and it was gone, in the shop.
The fuel system took a crap and the engine blew up!!!

·
Registered
460 Posts
Junk it sell it or put a Cummins in it but do not wast money on that 6.4.. unless its a perfect truck except the 6.4 cut and run....

·
Registered
394 Posts
Junk it sell it or put a Cummins in it but do not wast money on that 6.4.. unless its a perfect truck except the 6.4 cut and run....

That's the thing....this truck is super nice! It's a TX truck so it has no rust. It is a Lariat so it has nice interior that has been well taken care of and never been wrecked.
If this was some old dog with a box or a flat bed on it, I wouldn't have bought it. It is a really nice f450.

If I knew how to post pics I would.

·
Trump Voter NRA Member
5,333 Posts
Not trying to hijack this thread (guess I am really).
Dogg, when you say the 6.4 has oiling, fuel and water issues. Do you know of a way to fix these issues? Is there a certain company making parts to correct these issues??

Here is my take on the 6.4, which means absolutely nothing. The trucks that they put these in simply don't have the real estate to keep them cool. They need bigger radiators and intercooler and more air flow over them.

My plan is to put a better radiator, Intercooler and a cowl hood on mine after rebuilding it. Keep an eye on egt's, change the oil religiously and don't idle the truck extended amount of time.

Please save me the headache of doing this if it is just a waste of time. I know the general consensus is these engines are junk. I think if the same amount of effort was put into these as the 6.0 it would be superior to the 6.0. Again, I am far from a diesel mechanic. I am just stating my opinion here based on research I have done on the 6.4. Please correct me if I am way off base.
Your looking at future nightmare.
A better radiator isn't going to solve the issues these engines have. The fuel system was done by Siemens, I never even knew Siemens did fuel systems, it's a POS. If it's not Bosch it's not a fuel system.

The 6.4 is based off the 6.0, the injectors on the 6.0 work on high pressure oil pressure, has the oil exhausts from the injectors and sprays the valve train. The 6.4 injectors don't work off oil pressure so now the valve train doesn't get much oil and that's why they have problems.

The 6.4 is a POS, expensive to fix, will continue to need repair after it's fixed. It's basically a grenade with the pin out.
Your better off stepping up to a 6.7 truck, this engine is light years ahead of the 6.4

There's better ways to be miserable in life than owning a 6.4

·
T/S 368E
25,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #34

I told you G is the frigging man!!!!

21 - 34 of 34 Posts