Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
T/S 368E
25,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I've heard you guys post it was junk before and I saw there was some kind of settlement??

I found a perfect bus to make into a tow vehicle/motorhome but it has a maxforce and I figured I better ask before bidding!!

Is it as bad as the ford 6.4, can it be bulletproofed, or just run, run away fast??

Thanks Guys.

·
T/S 368E
25,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
2013 with 220 HP IS ALL THEY LIST????

·
T/S 368E
25,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

They went for insane money, didn't even consider risking it.

They had 2 buses and a handful of cab chassis with maxforce all too expensive for my project.

Thanks for the quick reply G!!!!

·
Registered
703 Posts
The Navistar Maxxforce 7 EPA 07 isn't bad but the EPA 10 has a lot of issues burning up DPFs.

Now when Ford got their hands on the Navistar engine, the first thing they do is reprogram the ECM for more power and the consumers suffer with multiple engine issues.

·
Trump Voter NRA Member
5,328 Posts
The 6.0 was rated at 325HP, the 6.4 was rated at 350HP IIRC, not much of a jump, Ford would never replace an engine with one that has less horse power, 350HP had to be the designed HP level for that engine. Ford always uses their own electronics.

One of the biggest of problems with the 6.4 is Navistar went with Siemens for the fuel system which is a POS. It was the Siemens fuel system on any diesel that I know of. If it's not a Bosch fuel system I don't want it. Ford stepped up to the plate for the 6.7 and went with Bosch.

I'd say the 6.4 biggest problems are the fuel system, cavatation in the front cover, weak pistons and lack of oiling for the valve train.

I've worked on plenty of these engines and they have put a lot of food on the table.

·
T/S 368E
25,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Too much, too far and to be honest after talking to Gdog several times, I'm going to wait for a 6.7 unit to convert.

So it's all yours, and I'm scared of buying a salvage vehicle after all the horror stories from hurricanes.

·
T/S 368E
25,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Well I didn't get a bucket truck at the auction again today :(
So that still MUST come 1st before an ambulance!!

I need a new tow vehicle, I'm running for points next season and I'm too old for a tent or sleeping in trailer.
So I have had zero luck getting a small RV with a big diesel, so I'll build one myself!!!

·
time to go racing yet ?
30,042 Posts
Get a Cummins
exactly why i posted what i did .... 8.3 cummins is a damn good engine, and it has liners. ever decide to rebuild it you can just inframe the pig...no need to pull it to do a rebore .... almost anyone with basic skill's can inframe this engine.....and the rest, well its a frieghtliner... parts are everywhere

·
T/S 368E
25,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

I can't use a RV, I only have 25' of space left in the shop, so I need something strong enough to pull a heavy ass mini stacker,
but still has room for a shower, kitchen space and sleeps 4.
That's why I thought an ambulance would be better than a dually???

Someone told me they don't put diesels in the little 24' RV???

·
time to go racing yet ?
30,042 Posts
i think an ambulance is a great idea, buy one cheap, build it out yourself for around 5-8k on the high end.... id get the one with a cummins. so easy to work on them compared to others....plus with the frieghtliner it should have bigger frame rails compared to a ford/chevy ambulance bigger rails would handle a bigger hitch

im serious i would buy that one i linked to on ebay, but last year i went the truck camper route.....but i always think 5 yrs down the road and still think an ambulance would be awesome with more room than a truck camper setup.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts