Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This weekend we went to Las Vegas for some free Test n Tune with our customer and friend. The PSCA was doing some promo for race attendance at an import drifting and drag racing event at LVMS and invited some PSCA cars to show for the cause

I could not believe it, the place was packed and worse, there was a mile of event sponsors on scene. Do you think we can even get in the door with these sponsors? NO! and where did all these people come from? Where are they for our events?

What has happened to the support of American Drag Racing at this level??????????? We need more people to attend our events! If you can, support your area street car racing association by showing up to watch :smt068No wonder we all have difficulty getting sponsors- they are at the import races :smt076

www.worldsfastestorganization.com
www.pscaracing.com

·
Chicken Leg?
17,838 Posts
most of them are only there for the bikini contest anyway. don't kid yourself. the whole import thing is still in it's "trendy fad" stage, so 90% of so-called "tuners" are just a bunch of damn "me-too" joiners. when the novelty wears off, we'll see who the real gearheads are among all those punk-ass little posers.

·
Registered
17,322 Posts
Even one of our local import promoters said the import scene has moved more to drifting vs drag racing and can be seen in their car counts.
No question about that. Go to a Nopi drift event then go to a Nopi drag event and tell me the car count and fan attendance difference.

·
Chicken Leg?
17,838 Posts
it'll sort itself out. the true import/sport compact gurus will find their place in motorsports, no matter what branch they settle on. right now, there are too many 'fast & furious' fans giving the entire genre a bad image(to be blunt, they look like a gaggle of stupid-ass thug wannabes). i would love to see the day when sport compacts are no longer a separate entity, but compete side-by-side with domestic V8 cars. the scca has been doing it for 50 years.

·
Registered
17,322 Posts
it'll sort itself out. the true import/sport compact gurus will find their place in motorsports, no matter what branch they settle on. right now, there are too many 'fast & furious' fans giving the entire genre a bad image(to be blunt, they look like a gaggle of stupid-ass thug wannabes). i would love to see the day when sport compacts are no longer a separate entity, but compete side-by-side with domestic V8 cars. the scca has been doing it for 50 years.
I agree with ya 110%.

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
OK So what can we do better here on the west coast to get fans in the gate?
There's something wrong out here on the West Coast..... Too many other things going on, maybe? Heck, you would think that people would be clamoring for drag racing, but it seems the opposite of that is happening. Heck, we went bicycling along the bike path in Manhattan Beach when the volleyball tournament was going on. Even they had more spectators than the Winternationals. Okay, maybe that's not fair comparing beach volleyball and bikini girls to drag racing, but still.....

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
I'll give my thoughts for whatever they are worth. I feel promoters and track owners have done a poor job of recruiting new fans and participants in the past so we have a small base today. If I promoted or owned a track I'd damn sure do things to get people in the gate. If they see something they like and have a good time they will pay to come back so let them in for free. Every senior in HS , every boy or girl scout, every kid in the Boys Club, evry Bible study class whatever, let them in for free. Then don't gouge them for a hotdog and coke. Do a car load admittance so a whole family gets in for 10 bucks. Young people have no idea what Drag Racing is about and no incentive to look. Pay a fast car or two to attend a T&T session and show the kids some real power that'll give them something to talk about at school or the local hangout. The origional fan base we use to have back in the day has gotten old and are dying and nobody has done a good job of replaceing and expanding them. Car movies with ricers have created a following and interest in real rear wheel cars haven't promoted that interest. Just my thoughts. RM

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Couldn't have said it better myself. All of us grow up at some point and something alot of guys overlook is that these same "young punks" get a bad taste when they get shit on by domestic guys and move on to other stuff. If collectively we want the sport to continue to thrive and keep attendance up (which makes sponsors happy obviously) harboring feelings of good will towards those new to the sport will insure that. Remember that just because a young person who can only afford a civic as his first car is at the track running 17's all day, doesn't mean he won't grow into something faster as his maturity and or financial position develops later in life. Encourage, don't discourage your local kids.

Far as the west coast goes, what you experienced is NOT typical of east coast import events. The sport is suffering greatly right now in both car counts and attendance. Take a look around and alot of the bigger import guys are turning to the domestic side and racing their cars where they can actually get good races.

·
Banned
23,371 Posts
Just my two cents.

Drag racing has an image problem, partly caused by the racers themselves, and partly by the media. Most of us got our start on the street, pissing off the locals with loud cars and squealing tires, and street racing. The media picks up on any street racing fatality and paints the whole sport as one full of irresponsible
hooligans.

The majority of the general public has no idea what's involved in building and running a successful racing operation. There is little to no contact between racers and prospective fans in an off-track setting, where people can be "educated". Most of the non racing public have a totally different attitude towards stock cars than they do drag cars, most likely because you don't see stock cars running around on the street.

NASCAR has build a following through promotion, and TV time, to change the image from moonshine runners to professional racers with extensive skill and courage ... most people know that they can't do the job, so in effect, hold the drivers in high regard. Drag racing looks easy ... the light turns green, you floor it, and the first one to the finish line wins. What's so hard about that?

To use an analogy, watching drag racing on TV is, for many people, like watching hockey. It's too fast. Had a friend (female) that used to watch baseball, but not hockey. I asked her why, and she said that hockey required her to constantly watch, whereas baseball allowed her to do other things. Same thing with racing, you can sit down for a 3-4 hour NASCAR race and only "tune in" when there's action. With drag racing, if you miss it, you miss it.

If you're not getting fans to races, it could be part promotion, part too many different organizations, and partly because, in general, it's every weekend. If you miss it this weekend, there's always next weekend, or the next. My old home town is part of a circuit race. They get one event a year, as do various other cities. The public knowns it's a one time per year event, and support it very well. If it was every weekend, I doubt it would be supported to the same extent. Another track has roughly one 3-day event per month ... from a spectators point of view, this only ties up one weekend per month (the family, wife, girlfriend will put up with this if you do other things on the other three weekends) Another offers a free shuttle service to the track, and have been doing this for a few years now (maybe this makes more sense than I would have though ... tracks are usually outside of town, so if fans have no way to get there, they won't go). If something is free, people will try it out.

Doesn't NASCAR have a contest where some lucky fan gets to ride in a stock car for so many laps? How about drag racing doing the same with some of the slower classes (i.e. not Pro Stock).

In any event, as fast food joints have figured out, you need to hook the kids first, not the adults. Hook the kids, and they'll nag the parents to take them to the races. Hate to say it, but generally drag racing promoters are preaching to the converted. If I'm already hooked, you're wasting much of your time and resources advertising to me.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Bluebaugh Racing

I think the stripper pole would definetly work! On a more serious note, free tickets or charge by carload might do well. I did notice the crowd was very young. Good suggestions to target this population and do some promo in this area. I am not sure about the negative effect of media. Street racing is an American sub-culture. When we out grew it, we came to the track or got out of it. Perhaps the comment is well founded that imports are more affordable to the young today.

www.worldsfastestorganization.com

1 - 17 of 17 Posts