Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
16,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I lived in Orlando, Fl. there were deer living around my neighborhood but they were flighty and skittish. If they heard a pin drop they would be gone so fast and far into the woods that any encounters were brief. My 60lb Australian Shepard bitch - Tally - used to chase them into the woods in Orlando regularly.

This area I'm living in here in Tennessee the deer are everywhere - they graze and stand by the side of the road and don't flinch as you drive by. I didn't realize how bold they were until this morning. I stepped outside with my dog and there was a small group of them in the back yard. Tally casually chased after them and they ran off into the woods a short distance but I noticed one doe didn't run off very far.

So Tally is sniffing the ground in the woods 50ft from the backyard and I see this doe slowly walking towards her. Next thing I know the doe is chasing Tally back towards the yard right towards me. I stepped out from behind the tree with my arms up, yelled and the deer turned away but eventually just stood there in the woods staring at me. So I grab my BB gun, pump it up and walk towards the deer who just stares at me. I put a BB in it's ass, it jumps and runs a short distance then stops and stares again. I repeated this a few times and basically the stupid deer barely reacts and just keeps hanging around and staring at us. :confused:

I know deer can be defensive, but I guess they figure this is their territory and are damn bold about it!!!!

·
Registered
16,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can i come to your house during deer season?
Yeah, really! I live outside the city limits in a residential area that the houses are scattered around on 1-3 acre lots in a heavily wooded area. I don't know what the laws are around here concerning discharging of firearms and when "deer season" is, but I guess I may need to find out.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Been living here my whole life and here in east Tn there are quite a few parks and they aren't scared much by people in most places even though it's a well hunted area. Always been like this from what I remember. What part are you in?

·
Registered
27,956 Posts
Go to Hollywood Park down by San Antonio. People will be out watering their yards, riding bicycles, walking their dog, doing all their day to day activities.....and the deer just stand there in peoples yards grazing away not paying them any attention at all.

People usually have to physically shoosh them away to get them to leave. Even then, they will just move to the neighbors yard.

·
Registered
27,956 Posts
Yeah, really! I live outside the city limits in a residential area that the houses are scattered around on 1-3 acre lots in a heavily wooded area. I don't know what the laws are around here concerning discharging of firearms and when "deer season" is, but I guess I may need to find out.

Get a crossbow.

·
Shrewd Negotiator
10,187 Posts
On the way to work one morning, I saw the same type of thing. A dog was chasing a deer through the front yard. All the sudden, the deer stopped, turned and started chasing the dog. Funniest shit I've ever seen.

·
Registered
16,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Been living here my whole life and here in east Tn there are quite a few parks and they aren't scared much by people in most places even though it's a well hunted area. Always been like this from what I remember. What part are you in?
Manchester area. I was very surprised that this one deer chased my dog. Now an Australian Shepard is not an real aggressive breed, but they defensive and usually capable of scaring off varmints and until now, deer. Being by herself, she's smart enough to realize she is vunerable without a pack and not that bold.

I now have a genuine fear that if these deer are going to be bold enough to chase/attack her, then she could be severly injured/killed by a deer's hoofs. I have nothing against the deer, but I'm not going to let them hang around and be aggressive. I will teach them fear or eat them if I have to. :mad:

·
Registered
16,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
On the way to work one morning, I saw the same type of thing. A dog was chasing a deer through the front yard. All the sudden, the deer stopped, turned and started chasing the dog. Funniest shit I've ever seen.
Yeah, I admit at first I thought it was funny since she had always had her way with deer. But she lost her "mojo" in Alamogordo NM with all of the F-22 sonic booms occuring daily and is used to at least having the male border collie as a "back-up". The border collie stayed with the ex-girlfriend and now she is alone with me. I'm trying to help her get her mojo back but being chased by deer is certainly not in the agenda - LOL. Not to mention the deer can do serious damage with their hoofs.

·
Registered
16,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Get a crossbow.
Good suggestion. I'd rather get at least a .22 scoped rifle as I am already capable and proficient with a rifle. If I have to go to the bow & arrow or crossbow route, I will have to practice until I'm proficient enough to deliver a good kill shot. I really don't want to have injured deer running around with an arrow I put in them.

·
The Warbird
6,478 Posts
If you remember I warned you about the deer in your "moved" thread. Dont worry the day before hunting season they will disappear! :p

·
Registered
16,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
She probley had a couple of babys laying close by that why she wouldn't leave an chased your dog away.just protecting her young.
And I respect that. But after the first encounter the dog and I both went inside for a while. 15 minutes later I came out and she was still in the same area acting bold.

I will tolerate the natural instinct of protecting young, but will not allow deer to think they should not be afraid around me and my property if I think they pose a danger to my dog.

·
The Bullet Killer
36,720 Posts
Deer in South Jersey are very very smart. Amazing actually. They know exactly where hunters can and cant get them. Example. 100-200 yards behind my house they can be killed. 100-200 yards in front of my house they cant.

I want to say 3-4 days a week I can wake up, wave to the deer, damn near pet them and go to work. Wont move an inch.

Now when I open my back door to cook on the grill they SPRINT as soon as they hear that door move

·
Registered
16,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If you remember I warned you about the deer in your "moved" thread. Dont worry the day before hunting season they will disappear! :p
LOL. I remember that but thought the only danger was while driving one of my vehicles and hitting one. I never thought anything less then a grown buck would be so aggressive. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
951 Posts
Next time try to put a rope around it's neck..

·
Registered
452 Posts
Randy watch what you say on here ,there alot of DNR people on these sights ,they fround on serten things,you know how the goverment an fed are........

1 - 20 of 53 Posts