Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Back to the front!
5,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

its gotten down to about 0 degrees fahrenheit here the past week or so (-16 in degrees celcius and probably colder with the windchill) and my stupid neighbors behind me leave their husky/malamute (not sure which one for sure it is) outside all night. The thing whines all the time, and i think it has a house as well (can't see it for sure)...but im wondering, is it too cold for it to be out there? I know its got a thick coat and all but i just cant help but worry for the poor thing...was thinking of calling animal control, but not sure

·
Put Custom Title HERE!...
56,427 Posts
I've got an America Eskimo and I wouldn't think of leaving him out in that kind of temps!...
I doubt that your neighbors dog is acclaimated to that kind of weather!... :smt102

I'd call your local humane society and pose the question to them!... :cool:

·
RIP Dave - YB will miss you
25,442 Posts
I have 4 Siberian Huskies that stay outside year round.According to the research I've done they're good outside to about -80 Farenheit before it will hurt them.My dogs hate it in the house and they stand at the door and pant if I bring them in.I suspect the dog you mentioned isnt being fed or giving water.

Remember these dogs are from Siberia where the record high in the Summer is 57 degrees and winter temps are routinely in the 50 below range for 8 months.

I'm sure some uninformed will apply humans standards to an animal but it doesn't change facts.My dogs would rather sleep in a snowdrift then come in the house.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
I had a Husky/Chesapeake Retriever mix that would rather lay out in the yard than sleep in his heated dog house. I would look outside and he would be sound asleep with snow & frost on his back.

I suspect he is lacking food and LIQUID water. They need that to keep their metabolism going.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
we have a lab/husky mix and he's got a heated doghouse (think tuffshed) but he sleeps in the house at night but he really doesn't mind the cold much.,.

·
cynic/realist
15,961 Posts
It would depend on the acclimation of the dogs. I wouldn't leave my 4 Huskies out when it's that cold. Mine are in-out dogs, though.

·
Registered
9,402 Posts
Again if the dog is feed and watered properly and has a house with some protection and hay in it He is fine.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I have three siberian huskies and I'm in western NY where it can get pretty cold! My dogs love the cold but we as humans are supposed to be careful for them!! I would never leave my dogs outside in extreme temperatures because they weren't born in Siberia!! My dogs are acclimated to moderate climates! If that dog is out all night call animal protective service in your area, you will be doing him a favor!

·
The nitrous guy
7,189 Posts
I have had Malamutes and Husky's both. Here in Alabama, we hardly ever get in single digit temps, but even when it did, those dogs did NOT WANT to come inside. They loved the cold. As long as the dog has food, water and a place to get in, if he wants to, those temps will not bother him. Summer temps, leaving the dog outside and not giving him a summer trim, is much more cruel than leaving him out in the winter.

Monte

·
25,442 Posts
Summer temps, leaving the dog outside and not giving him a summer trim, is much more cruel than leaving him out in the winter.
I clipper mine in the spring and mid summer.Most don't get these dogs are made for extreme cold and it doesnt faze them.My dogs lay around outside till it hits 30 or below and then they come to life.

We got 5" of snow today and all 4 of mine are sleeping in the snow right now instead of their doghouses that are packed with straw.

·
Back to the front!
5,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey guys, thanks for the info...like i said, i wasnt sure...the thing wimpers all night long, so i cant help but wonder...not to mention the people that own the thing are complete retards who i wouldnt trust with a pet rock...thats besides the point though

its funny because a few weeks ago when it was this cold i was at the restaurant and outside tied up with water were 3 gorgeous huskies, weather didnt seem to bother them, and they looked smaller and less furry than my neighbors backyard dweller..

·
25,442 Posts
It's probably a malamute.I have two male and two female huskies and they weigh between 45 and 65 lbs.A malamute is a much bigger dog.

·
Registered
205 Posts
i had a full blood malamute & he would be a total pain the ass until you put him outside in the cold.he would make himself a bed in the snow & go to sleep.they do need liquid water though to keep going.

·
Back to the front!
5,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
so if its a malamute, same thing? it can stand the cold? The thing is barking and whining like crazy out there right now...

1 - 20 of 42 Posts