Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Super Moderator
47,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Ford Hemi thread had me thinking of unique auto parts that were developed back in the day, and was wondering if any of you guys still run anything "different" from back then,...or something unique from today's technology.

I think the most unique part I have on a car is the Edelbrock XC-8 intake that I have on my LT1 350 in my 33 Chevy Coupe.

Cross ram dual carb set ups that set the carbs diagonal from each other were a more common design, along with front to back dual carb set ups, (and of course tunnel rams),...but the side by side like this intake was much less common.

20170905_202041.jpeg

20170905_202024.jpeg

·
Registered
31,273 Posts
I don’t have a picture of it, but the two Kool Cans made I think in Japan, with the beautiful construction, and tightly wound 1/2” aluminum coils, that fit a 16” ounce aluminum frozen drink can of you’re choice, add water, and a rubber sealed screw on cap, and you have the best fuel line cooler I’ve ever seen. How unique? Who knows? I’ve only seen mine on one of my cars. They’re a bit spendy, but far better then what’s commercially available today.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Not that the concept is that unique but I’m not sure how many are really out there. Roush tvs1900 supercharger for cathedral port LS truck engine. Roush tooled up to build Silverados and pulled the plug.

·
Registered
26,272 Posts
Had to think long and hard on that one...have what most here have or had by the dozens to my single.

Then I remembered the replacement front facia -

shown @ link here=> Grand Am Facias replacing the weak OEM on our '73 GA ;)

OEM shown below vvvv

Edit: Here's what one looks like wo it below :p

·
Super Moderator
47,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Had to think long and hard on that one...have what most here have or had by the dozens to my single.

Then I remembered the replacement front facia -

shown @ link here=> Grand Am Facias replacing the weak OEM on our '73 GA ;)

OEM shown below vvvv

Edit: Here's what one looks like wo it below :p

That's great,...at least someone made the replacements, and a better one at that.

Reactions: AllRev

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Just look at my avatar. I hand made everything. Only farmed out work was engine machine work, and milling true intake plenum flat. It was a fun project.
I also built a 3 2/2" oval stainless down pipe on a 1989 Turbo TA for a friend. Took me over 40 hours to make it fit. $2K in just material, excluding waiste gate. The 3.5" intake pipe and the Precision intercooler (they said it would NOT fit the TTA). Canned up 3.25" oval inlet/outlets to get it to work. NO!......I won't do it again!

·
Super Moderator
47,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just look at my avatar. I hand made everything. Only farmed out work was engine machine work, and milling true intake plenum flat. It was a fun project.
I also built a 3 2/2" oval stainless down pipe on a 1989 Turbo TA for a friend. Took me over 40 hours to make it fit. $2K in just material, excluding waiste gate. The 3.5" intake pipe and the Precision intercooler (they said it would NOT fit the TTA). Canned up 3.25" oval inlet/outlets to get it to work. NO!......I won't do it again!
A larger pic? That looks like a ton of work.

Reactions: 2PO2WATCH

·
Registered
26,272 Posts
That's great,...at least someone made the replacements, and a better one at that.
Yes and although a great product - each piece is hand made - requires Paint & Body Expertise (such as yourself ;)) for a long lasting presentable finished blend in installation...

·
Registered
920 Posts
Not that the concept is that unique but I’m not sure how many are really out there. Roush tvs1900 supercharger for cathedral port LS truck engine. Roush tooled up to build Silverados and pulled the plug.
I have seen these and would like to get my hands on one for my 99.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
This is the story that was told to me but I never tried to prove or disprove it. I have a 454 in the truck in my avatar that I built in the late 90's when I was in my early 20's and thought I knew everything. I had been looking for big block to rebuild for some time and found one through a friend of a friend type deal. It was sitting in the corner of a barn and you could tell it had been there for some time. Older gentleman told me it was knocking is the reason he pulled it out and I didn't ask anymore questions. I bought it, took it home, disassembled it and sent the parts off to the machine shop. Couple weeks later I get a phone call asking about the heads as they said something was off on them. I had ran the numbers before I dropped everything off and they were oval port 781's (didn't mean anything to me back then). They kept saying something was off about the valves and needed more information before they could finish. A friend was working at a Chevy dealership next town over so I stopped in to see him and ask his opinion. As we were talking an older gentleman there overheard our conversation and said for me to go talk to so and so and he gave me a number to call. I called the guy (don't remember his name) and we talked and once I gave him a few details he remembered those heads and said they were used in Factory Can Am or trans am racing years prior. Something about GM cast several sets of heads with the 781 part number to get around some rules back then.

As I said I never tried proving or disproving it but this engine isn't anything fancy but it has tremendous mid range torque.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts

If you were into car audio in the mid 80's you will know what these are lol...... I kept them for some reason and it's a pretty cool piece of car audio history... XS880's for those who have never seen them. 8" 3 way.

JW

1 - 20 of 102 Posts