Yellow Bullet Forums banner

Whats the life of diesel fuel stored in above ground fuel tank?

2K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  Halemach1 
#1 · (Edited)
A customer of mine has a small ranch that has over 900 gallons of #2 diesel that I can have. Only catch, the fuel has been in a above ground refueling fuel tank 3-4yrs.

I looked inside the steel fuel tank for contamination and it's clean (like new). I picked up a tube of Gasoila AP02 water finding paste.....no sign of moisture. On the discharge side there's a water trap and paper element filter in the line. I filled a one gallon glass jar and it came out clean as can be...no particles or visible sign of contamination.

I thought about taking a sample and try it in a small tractor of sort to see what happens.....lol

Does diesel have a shelf life/ chemical breakdown after a few years? I googled for the information but have mixed info......anyone have experience in this area?

#2 · (Edited)
I have used diesel that sat for 8-10 years in above grounds Was treated with Anti-Algae. If it is still clean and the walls of the tank have no slime/Black Etc, i would treat it with this as a shock treatment..

http://www.powerservice.com/bk/

Also make sure the tank filter is in place and clean..on the above ground..

There are other Anti Algae products also. Just Power Service came to mind..

#5 ·
I did a fuel tax audit years ago of a truck stop chain. They had gotten a contract where the air force paid them to remove algaed diesel fuel from old tanks. I don't remember the exact amount but it was a lot of fuel. They went and blended it into their tanks at one of their truck stops. Sold the stuff not only tax free but actually were paid to haul it away. Most of that fuel was way older than the OP's

#6 · (Edited)
She wasn't sure how to dispose of the diesel so she called a local card lock (CFN) station for information. They told her they would come and get it for $1.88 a gallon disposal fee.....yeah, I'lL bet they would do her that big favor.

#8 ·
I wouldnt put it in the new Tier 4 or even interim tier 4 engines that utilize a high pressure common rail and DPF. Just not worth it if you trash an injection pump or set of injectors. Fuel requirements have changed in the last few years.

Its not junk though, I would run it in pre emissions equipment.

#10 ·
I bought a wrecked vehicle that sat for almost 8 years because it was tied up in a legal case. It had 40 gallons of diesel, so I fill up my truck and tractors, a week later my fuel filter restricted light comes on. I look at the fuel left over in the jugs and see algae floating around. I stopped at a Cummins and buy some Stanadyne product to treat the fuel for algae and it worked.
So I would use that fuel but I would use something to treat it for algae.

#11 ·
As mentioned, the tank or fuel didn't have any signs of algae/ black in the tank but as a precaution I picked up some Lucas Bio Medic and mixed it in the fuel tank.

Truck is running fine with no issues............. this is about a min. of $3,200.00 savings and I won't have to buy fuel for roughly 15K mi. In addition there's about 350 gal of red diesel too.......shhhhhhh

Thanks for the help/ info.

#12 ·
I move 1000k gallons + a week, if it's a metal tank and you don't see algae run it. Even if there's water it'll be settled at the bottom. I use a pump and suck the bottom till the waters gone and call it good. Diesel is resilient

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.