Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
10,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I am selling something, and someone, usually a person who has never seen the item you're selling in person, or likely never talked to you on the phone about the item you have for sale, asks the age-old question by email or text, "What's the least you'll take?", I always answer with "What's the most you'll pay?" That usually rattles and identifies for me the the low-ballers, and I can weed them out and move on. I will admit, however, that although not common, some legit offers have been made this way, but not usually.

How do you respond to the question, "What's the least you'll take?" when asked by someone who has never seen in person the item you're selling, or probably never talked to you on the phone about it...?

·
Registered
15,149 Posts
My response is..I only negotiate in person, if you’re serious you will come and look. I came down on the phone for some parts one time and after getting them out of the attic. The guy showed up and hit me with another lower offer. I took it because I didn’t want to put the shit back up but won’t make that mistake again. It was 67 Impala sheet metal and heavy..

The last thing I sold the guy came over and took 5 hours to make a decision. I think he used psychological torture on me..he did leave with it though.

·
Registered
10,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My response is..I only negotiate in person, if you’re serious you will come and look. I came down on the phone for some parts one time and after getting them out of the attic. The guy showed up and hit me with another lower offer. I took it because I didn’t want to put the shit back up but won’t make that mistake again. It was 67 Impala sheet metal and heavy..

The last thing I sold the guy came over and took 5 hours to make a decision. I think he used psychological torture on me..he did leave with it though.
What if it is a piece of unimproved real estate? One doesn't necessarily have to be in person for that...

·
Registered
13,368 Posts
No problem giving a discount, since I'm starting with an inflated price anyway. They haggle and I get the amount I wanted in the first place. Negotiation 101.

Lower than that, I load up my shit and leave.

·
Registered
10,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No problem giving a discount, since I'm starting with an inflated price anyway. They haggle and I get the amount I wanted in the first place. Negotiation 101.

Lower than that, I load up my shit and leave.
You didn't answer the question. These people aren’t haggling, although in the strictest sense of the term, I suppose it’s still a negotiation. They see your price, and they, without calling, coming by, or asking for more information, send you a text and ask what the lowest you‘d take is. Maybe you have it priced high and have wiggle room. Maybe you have it price low and fair. Either way, they’ve never engaged you at all except to ask you what the least amount of money you’d take. What do you say to them…?

·
Registered
13,368 Posts
You didn't answer the question. These people aren’t haggling, although in the strictest sense of the term, I suppose it’s still a negotiation. They see your price, and they, without calling, coming by, or asking for more information, send you a text and ask what the lowest you‘d take is. Maybe you have it priced high and have wiggle room. Maybe you have it price low and fair. Either way, they’ve never engaged you at all except to ask you what the least amount of money you’d take. What do you say to them…?
First fallback (my "lowest") is generally around 50% between asking and what I originally wanted. Second fallback (if they ask for a lower price) is what I originally wanted. Third fallback is "Thanks anyway."

Worked with a lot of clients who handle customer complaints about rate increases the same way.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
I typically inflate the price to leave a little room for negotiation. When the question about least I'll take, I'll drop the price some and stick with it, and then maybe give a story, about why the price is very reasonable. People like to feel like they at least got a little better deal than the asking price.

·
Registered
15,149 Posts
What if it is a piece of unimproved real estate? One doesn't necessarily have to be in person for that...
True and I recently sold a lake lot I had. I did negotiate that via phone, counteroffer was less than I wanted so stuck to my price. Two weeks later the guy payed my price.

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
I had a sales manager that was pretty good at handling that question. He would say "If I give you my lowest price, will you buy it?" If the guy wouldn't commit, he wouldn't give them a price. About 1 in 4 would then offer a lower price, and Wayne would counter with a higher price. I tend to ask, when hit with the question, "How much are you prepared to pay?"

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
I had guy drive 4hrs pulling a trailer, When he gets to my place he offers me half what I was asking and I said thanks for the offer and walked away, He yells, It's cash money.... I just laughed and said is there another kind of money that nobody told me about? He then goes on a rant about how he drove all that way and I should at least give him some respect. I laughed and said that went out the door when you told me you drove 4 hours just to insult me lol

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
"What's the least you'll take?"
When looking to buy something, I never as that question. If anything, I'll ask how firm the price is.

If I think that it's a good deal to begin with, I don't even bother. Doing that, I've actually had people lower the price on their own, just because I didn't try to haggle.

I'll say this, I don't typically sell my stuff. If I do, its typically something that I bought cheap, with the intention of reselling it.

When I do sell things, its not because I need money. Its likely because it's in my way. But I'm more likely to give it to a friend (or one of the kids) than sell it cheap.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I have asked that as a buyer, but never the first time I talk to them about it or before determine I absolutely want it and am prepared to buy it. I also will never ask that question unless said item is far away from me, if its local I negotiate in person. At that point my word is my bond so I ask if there is any room to budge before I make the trip to them in that case.

As a seller I usually respond with "I gave you my price on the listing, usually its your turn to counter that, worst I can say is no". Usually thats followed with an extreme low ball offer I say no thanks to and walk away.

·
Registered
42,386 Posts
I get this on a daily basis. A vehicle priced $10,000 is exactly that - $10,000, and until you take the time to come and see what I'm selling and make a genuine counteroffer there will be no negotiations. Doesn't matter if you're 5 miles or 500 miles away. No negotiations until you offer. This is just like checkers - my turn, then your turn. Now it's your turn.

People hate car dealers who play pricing games with them - so I don't.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts