Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Read through an earlier thread on here and it seemed inconclusive. Last time I put together a motor (circa 2006) there had been a switch in thinking from smaller second ring gap to looser second ring gap. I went with looser second ring gap per my engine guy's recommendations. The two sheets below was the information from when I built that engine. The yellow sheet is from JE Pistons, and the other is from Total Seal. Currently putting together a street strip 351c, PBM rings. Their recommendations looks like a direct copy from Total Seals shown in the pic lol..

·
Registered
676 Posts
Same as been for years.Not enough is bad,extreme gaps bad.Just use what your ring and piston company reccomend. NO need to make it difficult and if you cut one a little big its gona work.

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Pic is the same because JE uses Total Seal rings, just like a few other piston companies do. It's been found that a larger second gap is worth some power due to improved top ring seal. I don't do anything now without a larger second gap...

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Actually, the two charts are.different in the pic. JE recommending wider than the total seal for the second ring gap.
They are reboxed total seal rings I assure you...My buddy that races back in Denver uses them....JE is just recommending different gaps....

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They are reboxed total seal rings I assure you...My buddy that races back in Denver uses them....JE is just recommending different gaps....
I guess I should have been clearer. At the time, the rings were ordered from Total Seal. The JE Pistons didn't come with the rings, but came with recommendations on gaps (yellow sheet). Regardless, sounds like you prefer the wider second gap, which is the direction I'm leaning towards.

·
Registered
676 Posts
It's not like you are going to find some big gain that made you wonder why you didnt do that years ago.Last time we tried it on dyno saw 3 hp average.And I would bet it was more to do with engine just getting broke in and sealing up.Smoke and mirrors

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
It's not like you are going to find some big gain that made you wonder why you didnt do that years ago.Last time we tried it on dyno saw 3 hp average.And I would bet it was more to do with engine just getting broke in and sealing up.Smoke and mirrors

What's smoke and mirrors about it? It's proven to make hp. It's proven to increase top ring seal. If it didn't work, top engine builders wouldn't be doing it....EVERY pro stock engine built does it, every pro mod does it....the majority of engine builders do it....if it wasn't worth the effort, they wouldn't....because you found very few gains on the dyno with whatever you tested doesn't mean it doesn't work.....is it going to give substantial extra hp? Likely not...but.....especially with power adder engines, there are gains to be made which is why it's done....

·
Registered
676 Posts
What's smoke and mirrors about it? It's proven to make hp. It's proven to increase top ring seal. If it didn't work, top engine builders wouldn't be doing it....EVERY pro stock engine built does it, every pro mod does it....the majority of engine builders do it....if it wasn't worth the effort, they wouldn't....because you found very few gains on the dyno with whatever you tested doesn't mean it doesn't work.....is it going to give substantial extra hp? Likely not...but.....especially with power adder engines, there are gains to be made which is why it's done....
Wow ,you took a whole page to say what I did.No real gains.It does work in power adders but this is a na discussion!

·
Registered
27,186 Posts
That’s probably why a 2 ring piston that I’ve ran against 3 ring pistons showed no power loss. The only compression ring doesn’t unload. Who knows? Not me.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Any compression that gets past the top ring is lost HP and you need to get rid of it. A wide gap 2nd ring accomplishes this. If you have a tighter ring gap you run the risk of traping the gases between the 1st and 2nd ring lifting the top ring and causing ring flutter and loss of seal. The job of the 2nd ring is an oil scrapper and nothing more. I ran .040 2nd ring gap on a 4.600 bore 565 with alky injection. With gas ported pistons I was able to pull 20 inches of vacuum

·
Registered
27,186 Posts
Any compression that gets past the top ring is lost HP and you need to get rid of it. A wide gap 2nd ring accomplishes this. If you have a tighter ring gap you run the risk of traping the gases between the 1st and 2nd ring lifting the top ring and causing ring flutter and loss of seal. The job of the 2nd ring is an oil scrapper and nothing more. I ran .040 2nd ring gap on a 4.600 bore 565 with alky injection. With gas ported pistons I was able to pull 20 inches of vacuum
I pulled 19.67” of vac with a 2 ring wet sump deal.

·
Registered
5,573 Posts
I've pulled 24"+ with a second ring gap .002 tighter than the top..........

1 - 20 of 95 Posts