Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Setting aside the obvious pros and cons of an electric car...how serious is GM about bringing a platform of electric vehicles to market? CNN says the Volt is slated for a 2010 release, so I'm wondering if of you GM folks have some insight into its reality.

Thanks...

·
Registered
26,607 Posts
$40k is too high for sure. At that point I would start considering the Tesla or Tango. But you should also look into local subsides as well. Like if you live in San Fran you get free parking downtown, and some places have free charge stations. But if you consider you are going to save $15 a day if you need to park downtown San Fran, any electric vehicle pretty much becomes free for people living there.
Lots of tax breaks in other places as well.

·
Registered
7,403 Posts
my sister in law told me it was going to be made at her plant in hamtramick. sounds like begining of next year.

as for a turbo charged 1.4L that gets 45mpg, you'll be putting premium fuel in it, there goes your savings.

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
my sister in law told me it was going to be made at her plant in hamtramick. sounds like begining of next year.

as for a turbo charged 1.4L that gets 45mpg, you'll be putting premium fuel in it, there goes your savings.
Running premium fuel in my daily driver(10:1 compression) equals about $1.00 extra vs midgrade. The tank is 10-11 gallons. Most new engines have between 9.5:1 and 10.5:1 compression, they are not designed to run on 87 octane, although they are made through programming(detuning) to run on 87 octane.:wink:

I would also like to add if your vehicle has a knock sensor that can add timing as well as subtract timing, premium fuel and can increase mileage.

·
The Enemy
22,068 Posts

Premium fuel is .20 more a gallon.

If you drive lets say, 15000 miles a year at $4.35 a gallon $1450.

If you have a car that gets 20mpg, and drive 15,000 miles, at $4.20 a gallon you are spending $3150 on fuel for the year.

·
Registered
27,956 Posts
Funny

$40k is too high for sure. At that point I would start considering the Tesla or Tango. But you should also look into local subsides as well. Like if you live in San Fran you get free parking downtown, and some places have free charge stations. But if you consider you are going to save $15 a day if you need to park downtown San Fran, any electric vehicle pretty much becomes free for people living there.
Lots of tax breaks in other places as well.

When I was working in Pinnole, right outside of San Fran, we went into San Fran to party one night. Let me tell you something, those douchebags just don't have any cars bigger than a Honda Civic I guess. We tried to find a place to park a four door, one ton diesel Dodge single tire. I even tried to get in a parking garage...it wouldn't even fit around the first turn. Phucking ridiculous!

·
Registered
26,607 Posts
When I was working in Pinnole, right outside of San Fran, we went into San Fran to party one night. Let me tell you something, those douchebags just don't have any cars bigger than a Honda Civic I guess. We tried to find a place to park a four door, one ton diesel Dodge single tire. I even tried to get in a parking garage...it wouldn't even fit around the first turn. Phucking ridiculous!
That will change now that electrics are allowed in. Little cars are signs of lack of manhood present, i.e. San Fran is known for what???
But if you look at an electric car gathering at a race track, it looks a lot like a biker convention. We are not the nerds you would expect to see, LOL.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts