Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
currently buying a trans am and was woundering how far someone has takin a stock ls1. put rods and pistons in it and saw how far it could go. and how far do you think one could be taken 800-900 maybe 1000whp threw a six speed that is????

·
Chupa Cabra
9,824 Posts
I'd also like to know, as I am in the process of buying my forged rotating assembly, and I plan on throwing 20+psi at this thing. I've heard at high hp levels 1000+ that the bores start to distort and that I'll be buying rings every season at the least leaving me with one option and that's to sleeve it, but if the block has downfalls I don't want to polish a turd.

I was planning on pinning my mains, having the block o-ringed, modified for 1/2" studs, using jy p&p & vj'd 317's, comp 921's, and my current chromoly pushrods and 227/224 114lsa cam as a starting point and go from there.

I have also thrown the idea around of selling my ls1 while it is still running and in good shape and buying a JY iron or alum. 5.3 and doing the same thing to it like pinning mains, o-rings, and 1/2" head studs as I know those blocks have plenty of meat around the pistons in the cylinder liners/wall. I also like the idea of spinng the 5.3 higher to say 7200rpm since I will be class limited to a 76mm compressor and putting a vic. jr. and elbow for an intake instead of using my ls6 intake.

Sorry for the hijack op.

·
Registered
724 Posts
I know you asked about ls1, but I took the stronger LS2 block + stock mains to ~1700 hp. went 7.99 @ 177 before the liners failed. highest mph was 181.

·
Registered
49,841 Posts
currently buying a trans am and was woundering how far someone has takin a stock ls1. put rods and pistons in it and saw how far it could go. and how far do you think one could be taken 800-900 maybe 1000whp threw a six speed that is????
You'll be playing with fire out there. Its been done, with mixed results.

·
Chupa Cabra
9,824 Posts
I know you asked about ls1, but I took the stronger LS2 block + stock mains to ~1700 hp. went 7.99 @ 177 before the liners failed. highest mph was 181.

So your ls2 block didn't have the mains pinned, when you guys tore it down did you see any crank walk at all?

Block wise, if the ls1, ls2 and 5.3 had the same mods, pinned mains, o-rings etc. etc. which one is stronger at the end of the day? Alum vs alum, and then take into account a iron 5.3 for shits and giggles, which one would you pick?

This can probaly help the OP with his question also.

·
Registered
5,292 Posts
WTF would you need to pin a LS block main cap for? If it's going to move the outer bolts thru the side of the block you are in trouble. I'd worry more about the bores than the mains in these things unless you drive the crank thru it's unhappy RPM's over 9K

·
Chupa Cabra
9,824 Posts
WTF would you need to pin a LS block main cap for? If it's going to move the outer bolts thru the side of the block you are in trouble. I'd worry more about the bores than the mains in these things unless you drive the crank thru it's unhappy RPM's over 9K

I had always heard that pinning the mains was good insurance at anything over 900-1000rwhp.

I don't plan on spinning it more than 7k, maybe 7200rpm at the most.

·
Registered
724 Posts
cause the shit moves...thats why. we pulled mine apart w/o pins and the caps were zebra'ed bad

·
Registered
724 Posts
So your ls2 block didn't have the mains pinned, when you guys tore it down did you see any crank walk at all?

Block wise, if the ls1, ls2 and 5.3 had the same mods, pinned mains, o-rings etc. etc. which one is stronger at the end of the day? Alum vs alum, and then take into account a iron 5.3 for shits and giggles, which one would you pick?

This can probaly help the OP with his question also.
we pinned it after the first teardown. it was moving.

ls2 has siamese bores...makes them stronger.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
so typically when does shit hit the fan on a ls1 800-900?

·
Chupa Cabra
9,824 Posts
we pinned it after the first teardown. it was moving.

ls2 has siamese bores...makes them stronger.

Ok, can you tell me if you would still pick the ls2 over a iron or alum. 5.3? I am not trying to spend big bucks on a ls2 block, but I know they are really strong and are a great foundation, but 5.3's are so plentiful have more journal overlap, and since I will be class limited to a 76mm compressor, the lesser the c.i. I am working with, the more it will like and want to spin rpm's. Also the smaller bore, and smaller chamber on 5.3 will help with tuning, and sealing.

I am thining about selling my ls1 while it still runs or the block if it does go kapooey, and buying a 5.3, putting the same forged internals in it I was planning on putting in my ls1, pinning the mains, o ring the heads, have the heads cleand up and a valve job done on them, and re-use my 227/224 cam. My cam should also like to rev more in the 5.3 than the 5.7 being a little smaller in c.i. Spinning it to 7200-7500rpm will probably be my best bet in making big power. I just need to get a good set of valve springs, and valves.

I think the 5.3 is a great platform for boost. It has the bore, and stroke similar to a sbf 331 or 5.4 motor and we all know how those motor's like to spin and make crazy power throughout the rpm range especially up high, and can take enormous amounts of boost without the ring sealing problems a lot of bigger bore motors can encounter.

·
Registered
49,841 Posts
5.3 with concrete good fasteners and that turbo should be very durable with some upgraded internals for safety.

·
Registered
49,841 Posts

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Alright I know we are now switch to alum or iron this and that. But all I wanna know is how far has an alum ls1 block gone and when does it usually start coming apart and what usually breaks first.

Cause I've been looking at getting this tt trans am and its an ls1 with rods and piston. ported 6.0 heads and making 720/720 wheel. I wanna know how far I can take it before something breaks

·
Registered
84 Posts
Matt Harlan went 8.1 @ 170 ls6 348 with head and main studs not pinned stock diameters, lq9 heads with some work, solid cam, twin t66's, (might have been bigger turbos when he ran that time) 3500ish lbs, pretty sure he pulled the engine running and put it in a truck later.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts