Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Shut it off at the strip while still being wot or should you release to gas pedal to disengage the Nos then shut it off? I've been releasing the pedal then shutting the engine off. If the way that I'm doing it isn't right what would show up on the plug? I've searched but had no luck with the specifics.

·
RED ROCKET
8,630 Posts
it the whole process...warm motor up in the pits,then install new plugs,pull to line or close and the less idle time the better..make the hit...i always let off the gas then then turn the motor off.

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
BE CAREFUL....what trans do you have? Be cause t-400 can EXPLODE if neutraled too soon....

I have a T-400 and play it safe and i dont kill it at the stripe anymore....

·
RED ROCKET
8,630 Posts
BE CAREFUL....what trans do you have? Be cause t-400 can EXPLODE if neutraled too soon....

is shutting off while in gear the same as putting it in neatral with a t400?i have one in my 85...

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
is shutting off while in gear the same as putting it in neatral with a t400?i have one in my 85...
Im not sure, i used to go through the stripe, lift, coast a little , put it in neutral, shut if off and coast off the track...I noticed it was puking a few ounces of fluid each pass doing this, so i stopped. Also people had warned me about neutraling it at too high of a speed. If you search in the trans forum i think it has been discussed. I have a Racepak with AFR now so i look at that and as far as the plugs i get it shut off as soon as possible once im on the return road...better safe than blow up a Rossler t 400 :smt102
Also tune by the time slip MPH instead of just relying on plugs

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
dont have tons of experience, and yes would be better on trans section. but i have heard putting in neutral at high rpm is dangerous, people have known friends that have blown up trannies cause of this. if u wanna put in neutral at top rpm, u must buy a clean sweep trans where their is a neutral gear after your 3rd gear. so your shifter goes first, second, third gears, then next click is neutral. grinner has a clean sweep neutral trans brake valve body. other thing ive heard is its not good to shut off car under high rpm in third gear cause your trans keeps spinning when in high gear but the pump is off. im sure im not quite accurate, but my trans guy said if i need to shut car off at high rpm dont do more than i need to and keep it in 3rd gear. good luck wished i could better explain

·
Registered
6,825 Posts
We lift off the throttle, hit the chute, go to neutral, click off the ignition...never an issue...have a Glide. Our procedure in reading plugs is as Will stated.

·
Super Moderator
12,128 Posts
it the whole process...warm motor up in the pits,then install new plugs,pull to line or close and the less idle time the better..make the hit...i always let off the gas then then turn the motor off.

I agree with Will here as well.. Then tow back to the pits and pull ALL the plugs.. SJ

·
Registered
13,889 Posts

I have had no problems with my XHD 210 from rossler push it in neutral at 7000 (strip) or so for years , lucky I guess.....

·
Registered
344 Posts
I have always went to neutral at the stripe with my Coan built T-400 never had an issue trans. has atleast 400 passes

·
Registered
340 Posts
What I've done is warm up the car, swap plugs, pull to the lanes, make the hit, let off the gas pedal at the stripe, slow to about 15 mph without touching the gas pedal, throw it in neutral, kill the car, and coast around the corner. Pull back to pits and pull plugs. Not sure if slowing down with the engine still running affects plug reading or not but I do it the same every time.

·
First round fodder...
3,602 Posts
ask quain stott about the third pedal on the left when you run a auto........we lift then kill the motor, killing the swt before lifting will "lift" other things........

·
Registered
344 Posts
If you have a reverse pattern valve body TH400 and you lift in second, or push it back into second at the stripe, the planetary will overspeed.
possible explosion...not good... Usually cuts the case in half.

·
Registered
576 Posts
We lift off the throttle, hit the chute, go to neutral, click off the ignition...never an issue...have a Glide. Our procedure in reading plugs is as Will stated.
fofo...you should make a small adjustment......you should drive into your chute. Pull the chutes at the MPH cone then lift after the chute(s) hit.

·
Registered
290 Posts
fofo...you should make a small adjustment......you should drive into your chute. Pull the chutes at the MPH cone then lift after the chute(s) hit.

What I do is (Starting at the water box)

1. motor purge three times
  2. burn out in 1st and then rev
  3. stage
  4. pull chute
  5. motor purge twice
  6. hold the button deck the throttle
  7. wait for the other guy to stage
  8. when his pre stage comes on let go
  9. all three guns on by .0025
  10. drive into chute @ 60'
  11. lift four times
  12. hold it to the floor to the 1320'
  13. neutral
  14. lift
  15. ign off
  16. water pump on
  17. hand signal for turn off
  18. shut off bottle
  19. curse on the radio to my guys
  20. try to figure out why it wont run???????
RealCute:

ok back to your regular program

Sorry:drinkers:

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
What I do is (Starting at the water box)

1. motor purge three times
  2. burn out in 1st and then rev
  3. stage
  4. pull chute
  5. motor purge twice
  6. hold the button deck the throttle
  7. wait for the other guy to stage
  8. when his pre stage comes on let go
  9. all three guns on by .0025
  10. drive into chute @ 60'
  11. lift four times
  12. hold it to the floor to the 1320'
  13. neutral
  14. lift
  15. ign off
  16. water pump on
  17. hand signal for turn off
  18. shut off bottle
  19. curse on the radio to my guys
  20. try to figure out why it wont run???????
RealCute:

ok back to your regular program

Sorry:drinkers:
You must be off work already........................

·
Registered
677 Posts
Warm up on old plugs.
Put new plugs in.
Tow to the lanes.
Burn out
Bang button or not
Stage
Pull Chute at MPH
Lift and kill ignitionjust past E.T. traps.
Put My "GLIDE" into neutral and coast.
Pull Back to Pit.

"Ditto" on the reverse valve body 400 blow up

On a carbed Engine, If it is turning over it is pulling fuel into intake.

·
Registered
14,521 Posts
I am no trans man, so don't quizz me on specifics. But here is the general idea.

It all depends on how the trans is built. Most of the modern trans like the 210 etc will not have a problem with gear speed and on a glide the gears are so small that the RPM usually will not cause a grenade because the inertia is too low. However on many conventional 3 speeds when you cut off the engine in neutral and the pump hence pressure stops, the combination of clutchs/sprags etc. that are now engaged will cause the gears to rotate at a multiple (dependent on the gear ratio) of the driveshaft speed. So if you shut off at 9000 with a multiplication factor of 1.65 you would spin the planetaries at 14850...this is where the danger lies.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts