Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
93,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I wanted to build a Car to go Fast/Not spend a ton of Money and get a lot of stuff right out of the BOX (I'm thinkin Mustang) but is that true?

·
Registered
5,221 Posts
Biggs, if you looking for "off the showroom floor" type of stuff, I would say Mustang as well. Might not be THE fastest like Monty's pointed out, but it does have killer looks and there will be a pile of parts shortly, like a turbo or supercharger kit. If I was going the newer car route, and since we can't get the GTO in Canada, that's what I would do.

·
Registered
7,293 Posts
If you wanna go stupid fast for next to nothing, get a Kawi or Suzuki, put a big bore kit on it, an air shifter & some wheelie bars. :shock: :shock: :shock: then learn how to park it on the bars & hit the shifter with your thumb. Youve NOT lived until youve gone down a drag strip on 1 wheel.

Oh you meant a car?? you talking about a cheap car or a Ghetto cheap car? Im the Ghetto cheap kinda guy (look @ my pile). Box Nova, wheelie bars, BBC, fogger, Glide. there is always someones old project out there thats got some good stuff in it, that you can use as a base.

Bob

·
Registered
5,221 Posts
Now Biggs, if you want to go and build a car, how fast do you want to go FIRST? For a Mid-9 sec. car I would go with a Fox body mustang and a BBc with a hit. Use this link for a guide. The motors were in the 5 g range.

http://www.nescaracing.com/polishsneakers.html

I would do a 468 on pump gas with the hit. John

·
First Ten Original Member
1,426 Posts
Jimmy if you really want to build something you should make up your mind about a brand first.
If you want to build a Ford then I would suggest a fox bodied Mustang from 79 to 04. Plenty of parts available and cars in the bone yards. Plus after market stuff is really cheap.
If you want to build a Chevy then you need to look at the 79 and up Camaro. Plenty of parts, good after market stuff, bone yards are full of them and the prices are very cheap.
Not quite sure what the Mopar camp has but I'm sure some of the early Dart's / Duster's or "A" bodied cars are faily cheap to build.

I would tend to think that a Grand National would be a cool car to have but the prices are too high. Plus if you fuck it up it's gone, Would like to have an "X" in the garage for resale in about 40 years. I think it's more of a collecter car than a car you would beat the snot out of. Plus Camaro's and Mustang's are disposable!

·
Registered
519 Posts
MUSTANG JIMMY YOU GET GET A BEATER CHEAP AND HAVE A DECENT AND FAST CAR FOR VERY REASONABLE OUT LAY OF CASH. :-D
A 80'S BU WOULD BE MY NEXT CHOICE FOR A CHEAP RACE CAR AND THE BU'S HAD A BIG VARIETY OF SMALL BLOCKS IN THEM.

·
Registered
519 Posts
CHRIS HAVE YOU PRICED A GN LATELY, THEY AINT CHEAP FROM WHAT I'VE SEEN BUT I AGREE THE TURBO WOULD BE A VERY GOOD WAY TO GO AND AGAIN THERE IS ENOUGH GOOD PARTS AROUND TO MAKE ONE RUN SOME GREAT NUMBERS AND STILL BE A VERY GOOD STREET CAR.

·
16,373 Posts
Depends on what you call fast. My son bought his 91 Mustang with no trans in it, no exhaust or headers. Nice 80k car. The previous owner stole the parts to put in another car. He gave us the trans. My son paid $2,000.00 for the car. Him and I put the trans in, got a used set of BBK shorty headers for $100.00, bought a used H-Pipe for $50.00, bought a couple Flowmasters and turn downs. Put 4:30 gears and a 2800 stall convertor in it. Bought a "T" trim blower from a guy that bought it brand new in the box and needed money. Bought it for $2500.00. Totally stock motor from throttle body to pan. Had the car dyno tune and chipped. Runs 11.74 at 116.

·
Administrator
136,618 Posts
Why does everyone keep sayinga GN is expensive.. But a new GTO, Mustang, Corvette $30,000-$50,000 stock. Then spend another $40,000 in parts to get it to run 9's!! Now get a GN for $15,000 and dump $10,000 into it and have a 9 second street car you can drive to Florida with air!!! << Tested and proven with a 9.50 pass after driving from Michigan to Florida and back home!!! Then hitting the Woodward cruise to boot!!!

·
Registered
7,293 Posts
BILL ERICKSON said:
CHRIS HAVE YOU PRICED A GN LATELY, THEY AINT CHEAP FROM WHAT I'VE SEEN BUT I AGREE THE TURBO WOULD BE A VERY GOOD WAY TO GO AND AGAIN THERE IS ENOUGH GOOD PARTS AROUND TO MAKE ONE RUN SOME GREAT NUMBERS AND STILL BE A VERY GOOD STREET CAR.
Ditto what Bill said. these cars are not as cheap or fast as folks make them out to be. to make them fast, takes some bucks & when you start making some poop, they tend to break & the good parts are more expensive than a good old fashioned stroker Big Block, that can take a TON of bottle.

Bob

·
Registered
7,293 Posts
Monty Mikho said:
How many GN's have you guys help built? Or is this second hand information :roll:
Ummmmmmmmmmm, 2. one I owned & one was a buddies. Is that enough, or am I making it up? besides, "expensive" is kind of relative right? you have more in your chassis than I have in my entire program & im eating cheerios & cup-O-Noodles.

Bob

1 - 20 of 50 Posts