Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a generac 7500 and was wondering what was the best way to quite it down,i was think of building a wood wall around it with some sound deadner with some hinges so i can fold it up when packing up,someone suggested using a motorcycle exhaust .any ideals just trying to be courteous to the neighbors at the track.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
A buddy of mine had one a few yrs back, and he put a stk muffler off a import car. After that all you heard was the motor about to come apart. Lol

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
.....Remember to put it where others cant hear it you bought the dam thing you listen to it.....Should of bought a Honda !!!!!

·
Registered
13,484 Posts
people used to bring them cheap ass noisy pos in all the time with the same wishes to be quiet..

that model is noiseY....

no matter what muffler is put on it, the piston slap / cam / lifter noise is going to still going to be there.....

the best way is to sell it to someone else and by a new late model quiet unit...

·
~TweakeD~
9,107 Posts
your turn it the fuck off and you get your old lady to get on the power bike and you tell her to peddle away!!!!!

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Most of the cheap generators have a 2 pole generator, thats why they run at roughly 3600 rpm. Both the gas motor and the generator motor are loud. Better units are 4 pole, so they run at 1/2 the engine speed. Affordable= loud, unfortunately. A few can actually be idled down, just a little, but most will not produce power at 60 cycles, so your junk burns up sooner....

·
Aviation Section
26,385 Posts
The exhaust pipe is coupled to the cylinder head with pipe thread, build your own exhaust using an import car or small engine muffler and relocate it away from the generator, say up the side of the trailer, then as others have said all you will have is engine noise but it will be a lot quieter. Dave

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
We used to put water in the gas tank of the real noisy ones that ran all night. Would quite them right on down .......:-Shower

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
Parkk next to someone with a motorhome and ask if u can plug into him!!

·
Registered
212 Posts
dont put an inclosure around it , i had an engine cover off a boat , open on one end ,it was alot quieter , then it started to run bad , i went to check it and the gas was boiling , i turned it off and ran !!!!!!!!! , luky it didnt catch fire.

·
ROLL TIDE!!!!
20,992 Posts
+1 for not putting that thing near me. ;)

Buy a used Honda off craigslist. IIRC, Lowe's sells a generator that has a Honda engine but is a different brand. Cheaper than Honda brand.

·
Registered
7,174 Posts
Subscribing.

I'm sure somebody will say "Buy a Honda", but $2k for a generator isn't in the budget.

To the OP, Dont have time to get into it right now but theres a reason people will say the phrase above about the Honda. Theres a reason they cost what they do, same as theres a reason you can get a megawatt gen at costco as long as you're willing to wear muffs and know that everyone within earshot will hate you.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts