Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is happening here? Damage from the valve spring compressor? Chrome coming off?

There are no marks on the inner spring or the retainer.
It's .880 down from the valve tip.
and .670 up from the guide
.635 cam lift

·
Registered
9,367 Posts
What is happening here? Damage from the valve spring compressor? Chrome coming off?

.635 cam lift
That is damage from your spring compressor more then likely....
It's not the chrome peeling....
Get a better compressor or be more careful with the one you got.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That is damage from your spring compressor more then likely....
It's not the chrome peeling....
Get a better compressor or be more careful with the one you got.
Ok thanks. That's what I was afraid of. I just thought the edges of the gash would be more straight, I've been using a stud mounted compressor .... but I cant imagine anything else that would do that. More careful......more, more careful. I am dumb! ;-)
thx

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
840 Posts
I just bought that LSM and you can turn it with one finger and a normal length 7/16” wrench on 270lb to 700lb compressed springs. Just did it.

Curtis

·
Shrewd Negotiator
9,882 Posts
I just bought that LSM and you can turn it with one finger and a normal length 7/16” wrench on 270lb to 700lb compressed springs. Just did it.

Curtis
I think I'd go for the speed handle. Either way, it looks no harder to turn than any bolt on the engine itself.

·
DamCoonass
14,883 Posts
I’m having trouble trying to visualize how a compressor can do damage that far down.

You don’t compress the springs that far.

·
Registered
840 Posts
I think I'd go for the speed handle. Either way, it looks no harder to turn than any bolt on the engine itself.

Yep, that speed handle is nice. Not $50 nice over my Gearwrench 7/16" but that's just me. LOL I'm fortunate that I can make that speed handle if I really wanted one though.

Curtis

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
I use my LSM tool even when the heads are on the bench. Its super easy to use and does not take any major effort to turn the stud, its all on a bearing so there is no friction. Great tool.

·
DamCoonass
14,883 Posts
The retainer cocks and galls the stem if the compressor isn’t lined up perfectly.
Yep.

That’s where his remark of “no marks on the retainer” was throwing me off & I was reading that the compressor was making the mark, which I couldn’t fathom happening.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yep.

That’s where his remark of “no marks on the retainer” was throwing me off & I was reading that the compressor was making the mark, which I couldn’t fathom happening.
Thanks for your input, I'll have to try and simulate this again. I was thinking it might have happened when the spring was not in place and the compressor somehow contacted the valve.

I'll report back, but it will be a couple of days.

thx

·
Registered
68,416 Posts

.635 cam lift
Looks like galling --- don't see any of the chrome peeling. From your spring compressor most likely.

·
Registered
68,416 Posts
Just curious --- is that the only valve stem that looks like that?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts