Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I went metal, there are places like whirlwindsteel.com that can design the building and provide all pre-cut materials and then either I can build it or pay a contractor to assembl. I'd most likely build it.

Or I can build with plain old wood and siding. I've helped my dad build apartments with wood/siding for years, so I know how to frame a building and all that good stuff. I could pretty much do everything but the slab myself.

I'm wanting a shop approximately 24' deep by 30' wide with 10' ceilings so I can install a 2 post lift in one of the bays. 24' is deep enough to back my car in on the open trailer and park it all in there. So I'm thinking 2 garage doors, then one small door entrance. I would kind of like extra attic space to store stuff, but that isn't a requirement. I guess one option could be only have the raised ceiling on the outside bay, then drop the ceiling and build a half second story area for additional storage.

I have enough room to build something this size in the back without having to cut down all my trees, only 1 or 2 have to come down.

Anyone built a small 2 car garage/shop in their back yard for working on their hotrods and storing the boat or something? Most shops I see pics of on here are large metal buildings. I kind of think a wood building with siding would go better with the home and neighborhood.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
We're looking at putting up more shops on our land. It looks like wood frame steel siding is the way to go. Make it as big as you can though, no matter what you are going to want 5' more each way someday

·
Gone Camping.
10,612 Posts
I just got quotes this week for metal and wood shops...30x30 with 8 foot ceiling... 9k for wood 16 for metal... That includes everything from doors, windows to shingles...

I'm going with wood...

·
Registered
5,655 Posts
I built a two story wood addition to my existing garage with a lift inside. If you ever come east towards Beaumont I am just south. Feel free to stop by and take a look.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Have fun building in Baytown. Baytown city code is a mother fucker, I hated working there...
Yeah, thats kind of the other thing. I emailed the permit office and got some info, got to have a blueprint made and submitted for approval to get a permit. I'd rather just build a slab, then build the shop later LOL.

·
Registered
4,442 Posts
my buddy just built a shop its been in process for years. he went with steel pole barn. i think he went a little nuts on it. he went extra tall wanted a bathroom and a room upstairs. i dont think it will ever get done he just wanted to much for what he can afford. he finally got a floor and can work in it but no lights yet ect... im sure someday it will be nice but all the years he wasted i think hed have been better off to go simple.

·
Read Only
4,122 Posts
Not sure on the wood, but I have been looking at metal buildings at these little places on the sides of the road that sell storage buildings for your yard. The have flyers and brochures that advertise a 24' x 30' for in the neighborhood $5000. That does not include wiring or concrete, just them coming out and putting up the actual metal building. I figure you would have about 8-10k in one of those by the time you have concrete poured and do the wiring and such yourself. The only problem I have seen with those is you might not get the ceiling height you want for lifts. Although some they have on display get up there in height around 12-14ft. But then, of course the cost goes up for the extra metal.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I live just outside of liberty right down the road from you. We built a 40x60x16 wood frame building. We got quotes from 3 or 4 diff metal company's. In the end wood came out at almost half the cost of the metal. Pm me and you can come by and see it if you like. On phone or post pic will post one later. We also built a second story for storage.

·
Registered
613 Posts
I built a 40' x 60' stick built 2''x6'' stud wall's and a 4 block high base on a 6in slab with 14' 3'' height from the floor to the bottom of the truss's, your going to want a 14' ft ceiling with a lift . I have a 10,000lb Over Head lift . The lift it's self is 12' 6'' tall. I built the garage myself with help from some friends here and there for a price of $26,000 for everything including the cement floor and the hoist.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I live just outside of liberty right down the road from you. We built a 40x60x16 wood frame building. We got quotes from 3 or 4 diff metal company's. In the end wood came out at almost half the cost of the metal. Pm me and you can come by and see it if you like. On phone or post pic will post one later. We also built a second story for storage.
Post up some pics if you don't mind, that would be great. Always looking for ideas.

As said framing a wood building would be easy for me and my dad as we've built 15 individual apartments with vinyl siding and I've helped with every part of doing that. I would like to have a restroom in it with a stand in shower and a big metal sink with drain for parts cleaning and stuff, but I'm not sure if the city of Baytown would go for all that.

We're kind of weighing our options here. My wife wants to move to a place with a little more land and out of the current school district. Aside from the schools I like my house and neighborhood. I'm afraid its going to take us forever to clean up and get our house into a saleable condition that would bring the money we need to get into the kind of house she wants. She's looking at $250k houses, together we only make a touch over 100k a year, so I keep telling her thats too much house, but she keeps on dreaming.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.