Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
9,983 Posts
Manley super 70 were the shit but they quit making them now its GRP for the win.

·
Registered
728 Posts
I've had good luck with GRP,MGP, and Bill Miller. I personally use GRP because I talked with one their reps at PRI one year and he really knew his shit, but if a customer insists on MGP or Bill Miller I have no problem using them either. I can call GRP on Monday and tell them what length I want, what it's intended use is so they can determine what rod bolts to use, and what piston I'm running so they machine the small end for clearance under the piston and have the rods on Friday. I think the longest I've ever had to wait for a set was 10 days. They also own Windberg cranks and can piece together some really nice rotating assemblies. MGP is owned by the guy who started GRP.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Yea, that stuff in the catalogs is just general use type stuff. Call them directly and tell them exactly what you need. If you want to move your piston up or down tell them what length you want it because it costs the same either way, they're all custom built. You can even specify a big end width so your rod side clearance will be to your liking, just give them as many details as you can and you won't be sorry.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Venoila for the win !!! I've used them for 30 years without a problem!!!
Frank
Not trying to sound like an asshole or even says Venoila is not a good rod, but when you buy a set today you're getting the same technology and manufacturing process you were paying for 30 years ago. I think Venoila and Bill Miller are a little behind their time. That doesn't mean they're junk, I just don't think they're as diverse in applications or do near as much R&D as some others. What types of engines have you used them in, and what kind of power were they making?

·
Registered
415 Posts
MGP, been using them for 10 years on my 632 with 3 units...
Awesome rod!!!

·
Registered
664 Posts
well, jwre1 I''ve run over 60 sets of rods and Pistons in my motors since '73 and the Quality and customer service that american company has given a hard working Canadian has been excellent !!!
Frank
and PS Their product KICKS Ass VENOILA 30 years over 9300rpm without a rod failure!!!!!!!

·
First round fodder...
3,602 Posts
788" with 4 sets of nozzles...... Grp....

·
Registered
728 Posts
well, jwre1 I''ve run over 60 sets of rods and Pistons in my motors since '73 and the Quality and customer service that american company has given a hard working Canadian has been excellent !!!
Frank
and PS Their product KICKS Ass VENOILA 30 years over 9300rpm without a rod failure!!!!!!!
That awesome Frank, I'm glad for you. But your math is a little off, been using since '73 means 40 years of KICK ASS rods, that's even better than you thought.:p

·
Registered
10,234 Posts
GRP is my first choice, then either BME or MGP rods

·
Registered
12,568 Posts
I wonder what the rods these days are made out of. I just put a set of MGP rods in mine and had to trim the small end just a little. Put them on my belt sander aluminum was flying off like butter. Ive messed with alot of aluminum and never seen this. Makes you wonder

1 - 20 of 43 Posts