Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking for the cheapest option here on a driveway I won't be staying here that much longer ,mayb 3-4 years tops .Were gonna be down sizing . I need some type of driveway to get my car out of the shop soon .I have that red clay right now and it is a muddy mess when it rains. . I just got a price to do concrete just for shits and giggles .cheapest price I got was $9500 to do a driveway. 48' long by 32' wide on one end and 16' wide on the other end .Ive seen this milled asphalt driveway on a few sites . My first option was just to do gravel.Which is the better option.
Thanks in advance .

·
Registered
13,268 Posts
Louie, someone near me just did the milled asphalt. It looked nice for a few weeks but the heavy rain we've been getting has washed a bunch away. It looks like shit.

I used a crush and run where I park my trailer and that stuff packed down super hard, even with little use.

I would recommend the crush and run.

BTW, I need a crew chief this Saturday. Are you available?

·
Banned
9,365 Posts
Did you check normal asphalt price? The other 2 options you have really wont be worth a shit by the time you get ready to move and possibly even lower the value when the buyer sees they will have to redo it.

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Louie, someone near me just did the milled asphalt. It looked nice for a few weeks but the heavy rain we've been getting has washed a bunch away. It looks like shit.

I used a crush and run where I park my trailer and that stuff packed down super hard, even with little use.

I would recommend the crush and run.

BTW, I need a crew chief this Saturday. Are you available?
Sorry , I'm out for Sat buddy ,made dinner reservations for the family at 6:00 for,Mother's Day .I'm good to go week after .

·
Registered
190 Posts
I went from recycled concrete to milled asphalt on my shop driveway. The milled asphalt is way better. No dust and packs well. Would recommend.

·
Registered
284 Posts
See how much #57 gravel is. My driveway is crusher run and it packs down but even still, the little pieces get in your shoes. If you have a hill, rain will make cuts in it to where you will be grading it a lot.

I have seen a neighbor with the milled asphalt. It is on a long hill, and it stays together pretty well. It doesn’t take constant grading like crusher run would on that hill.

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Did you check normal asphalt price? The other 2 options you have really wont be worth a shit by the time you get ready to move and possibly even lower the value when the buyer sees they will have to redo it.
I'm gonna get a few asphalt guys numbers and see what they say . I hear ya on redoing stuff . That was in back of my mind .

·
Registered
14,521 Posts
Crusher Run for the win,

I did the pad for my trailer about 16 years ago and it looked great (smooth top with fully bound surface) for over 8 yrs and is still completely usable.

The size of the aggregate and the ratio of fines present in properly milled Crusher Run (I chose CR75) means that either rolled or hand packed on small jobs will give you a very tight water shedding surface.

·
Señor Member
31,675 Posts
Just get some Gyppos to spray coat your existing driveway. :smt115

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
If the ground is solid, get limestone screenings. Water it down good after leveling it out. It seta up good, isn't too dusty. We put asphalt millings on roads to stop dust problems when there is high traffic around houses. It holds up good to oil field traffic, which is terrible on dirt roads. The millings go on top of gravel to stop the dust problems.

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
Asphalt millings and lay it on a hot day. With the heat it will reactivate the road oil and tack oil in the millings. Key is to get a steel drum roller and roll the piss out of it. Do it on a hot day and when you think you are done rolling then go grab a beer and roll it for another couple hours. You can never roll and pack millings too much. This is what we do for the county highway dept I work for.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts