Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to plan my off season upgrades, trying to get another 100HP.

Here's what I've got:

555 BBC
Brodix B2 heads with Jesel Pro shaft mount rockers
Cam speced from Reher Morrison 555 (but not real RH cam as far as I know)
Enderle individual throttle body mechanical alcohol injection
High compression pistons, but I can't recall exact compression at the moment - 14.5:1 or higher.

The heads look nicely ported, but I have no idea what they flow.

So here's the question:

Can I spend some $$ on these heads and get much more power, or should I sell the heads as is and start over?

Should I go get them flowed first and then decide?

I think my combo is only making about 750-775 HP in the summer heat. Based on what people like RHRE and Shafiroff are getting from 555 these days, it seems like I should make a lot more power.

I'd like to stick with 23 degree heads because otherwise I have to really mess with the mechanical fuel injection intake manifold.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I just made 807 horse at 6400 on a 9.8-1 Dart pro1 cnc headed 581 Dart intake ( ported ) and Quick Fuel custom 1150 dominator . I would love to see what i could have done with a set of Curtis's heads

·
Registered
435 Posts
1100 here on Curtis's conventional heads with only 14 to 1 and a 615.
I so so wish I would not have compromised the compression and cam for potentional N20 use and let him spend a little more time on the intake and we might have been lookin at 1200 + with conventional heads !! , pretty impressive either way in my opinion. The most important thing is the averaging 1060 hp. from 6300 to 7600.
Curtis says the extra intake porting would have been worth 30 more for not too much $$$, I will go back and do this soon.

·
Registered
20,822 Posts
DOTY thats the same thing with my small block heads ,the power goes up and just stays there, no big peak and drop off makes for a hard pull across gear changes. Curtis is the man even on my 18X heads

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
I'm trying to plan my off season upgrades, trying to get another 100HP.

Here's what I've got:

555 BBC
Brodix B2 heads with Jesel Pro shaft mount rockers
Cam speced from Reher Morrison 555 (but not real RH cam as far as I know)
Enderle individual throttle body mechanical alcohol injection
High compression pistons, but I can't recall exact compression at the moment - 14.5:1 or higher.

The heads look nicely ported, but I have no idea what they flow.

So here's the question:

Can I spend some $$ on these heads and get much more power, or should I sell the heads as is and start over?

Should I go get them flowed first and then decide?

I think my combo is only making about 750-775 HP in the summer heat. Based on what people like RHRE and Shafiroff are getting from 555 these days, it seems like I should make a lot more power.

I'd like to stick with 23 degree heads because otherwise I have to really mess with the mechanical fuel injection intake manifold.

Thoughts?

i went from the brodix heads like yours to a pair of rfd conventional heads-hope its worth the wait and $$$

i have been told i made a wise move and wont look back-:supz:

Thanks

Nick--

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
sounds like theres a lot of power to be had with the parts you have.i would have the heads flowed first then send out the heads and intake for porting and find out the cam specs and replace it if it doesnt match your new combo.maybe a belt drive when putting it back together if it dosnt have one already.

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
sounds like theres a lot of power to be had with the parts you have.i would have the heads flowed first then send out the heads and intake for porting and find out the cam specs and replace it if it doesnt match your new combo.maybe a belt drive when putting it back together if it dosnt have one already.

hows your engine going-got it sorted out yet?

Thanks

Nick--

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
First lesson Mr. Boggs will teach you is, its not about the flow #'s Grasshopper, its about the correct port, the flow of that port is what it is.

So i keep hearing

Thanks

Nick--

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
njc.corp I just kept most of the old parts gonna have the block sleeved and crank repaired and put somthing back together with the edelbrock heads later on.wanting to get to this car to the track and had a motor bulit at schmidt just dynoed it the other day.used my intake with fogger/carb and a few other parts crank trigger/dist ati balancer.had them build one of the 585 iron man nos motors and stroke it to a 598 with a lot of upgrades callies magnum/oliver rods/tit intake valves 7/16 ex pushrods its a bmf headed motor with there porting starts as a bmf 350 and ends up around 390cc.had the compression lowered just a little to 14.1 and the cam lowered a little to 822 lift.it made pretty good power for being set up for nos and a little street use [email protected] and [email protected] 1011hp from 6200 to 7500.no chassis dyno for me this time.the motors going in and right to the track.

·
Registered
435 Posts
i went from the brodix heads like yours to a pair of rfd conventional heads-hope its worth the wait and $$$

i have been told i made a wise move and wont look back-:supz:

Thanks

Nick--
Keep the faith in Curtis, it WILL DO WHAT HE SAID !!!.

I have to admit I got worried and down in the mouth at one time just before dyno day but on the way to watch it run the first time my engine builder called and said, and I quote " You are going to be mad but we have been warming the motor up a little already. The good thing is we accidently made 972 hp with out turning it up for a real pull " Followed with something like this dude is really goina rock, get up here.

He is the real deal...

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks everyone. I'm new around here though.

Who is Curtis, and what is RFD? He can rework my existing heads, eh? I'm interested.

Oh - and to answer one comment: I already have a Jesel belt drive as well.

Thanks again everyone.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.