Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had to put "quiet" mufflers on my car to run at a certain track, now in the heat the car is about .10 to .15 slower, what should i do??
Im leaving on a plate and putting a direct port on top of that,

Up the plate jetting? Easy to do, only one jet
Up the Direct Port? A little harder, 16 jets
Add timing?? Im pulling out prob too much anyway i pull 20* for a "total area" jet of .113. Plugs all look good for timing, except get very little specs sometimes on just one plug
Lean out the carb?? because of the mufflers??
Up the Brake chip for the brake?? I have upped the chip from 3100 to 3300 so far and its helped a little (the car has a 295 drag radial on it)

Of course....i can just try another muffler, which i already plan on doing

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
IT has .032 in the fogger now.....its been going 8.70's like a bracket car, just isnt fast enough...

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
funny thing is, until i changed the mufflers, i couldnt bring it in any sooner than .72 or .79, now i have it coming in at .58, and yea i keep bringing it in sooner ......these mufflers (Hooker Aerochambers) seem to have killed the front half of the track, the car still picks up 30mph on the back half, and lost about 2 mph overall....seems to have lost the "hit" it once had off the transbrake

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
I'd probably leave the jetting as it is and sneak a degree of timing in it and see if it picks up.I put a degree in mine last Sat and it picked up a tenth.
only do that if it's humid. it was very humid here last sat. your best bet is leave timing and jetting alone and take a little fuel pressure out of it. when its hot there is less oxygen in the air to burn so you need less fuel. try a 1/4lb check plugs and mph. depending on how hot it is probably take a 1/2lb away.

·
Registered
412 Posts
only do that if it's humid. it was very humid here last sat. your best bet is leave timing and jetting alone and take a little fuel pressure out of it. when its hot there is less oxygen in the air to burn so you need less fuel. try a 1/4lb check plugs and mph. depending on how hot it is probably take a 1/2lb away.

Fuel is the power, I wouldn`t take it away to clean it up.Just add more to the spread, ie: you run a 4 spread make it a 5 spread to clean it up.When there is less o2 in the air, put your own o2 in the engine.My .02.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Should`ve put a HookerMaxflow on there,any "chamber muffler" will hurt power a little.Tested aerchamber against maxflow`s years ago and they were quicker, and not to loud.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Fuel is the power, I wouldn`t take it away to clean it up.Just add more to the spread, ie: you run a 4 spread make it a 5 spread to clean it up.When there is less o2 in the air, put your own o2 in the engine.My .02.
yes fuel is power. ive done it both ways and found the same results. last fri at mir we were down 4 mph. car usually runs 178mph on 1 system. last fri it went 174 i took 1/2lb away and next pass 177.9mph and plug was back to perfect. either way will give you the same results but taking some fuel psi away takes alot less time than changing jets. plus i like keeping my tuneups consistent and tuning with fuel pressure. it's all in personal preference.

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Should`ve put a HookerMaxflow on there,any "chamber muffler" will hurt power a little.Tested aerchamber against maxflow`s years ago and they were quicker, and not to loud.
What mufflers have you been using currently??? Maxflows are a LOT cheaper than the Magnaflow 4" Im cheap LOL

·
Registered
412 Posts
Bullets been on there for the last few years,wentfrom maxflows to bullets and got nothing in et,more noise and a little less weight.

·
Registered
271 Posts
buy you 1 dynomax 24217 bullet for $ 40 and cut it in half. still quitens the 665 down alot and have never had any complaints. have also never noticed any power loss at all from doing this versus open headers.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts