Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took allergy shots from ‘10-14 and had surgery in ‘10 and both helped. Over the last 2-3 years it’s slowly begun to get worse with the last 6 months being intolerable. I had testing a week and a half ago and I’m now allergic to mold which I wasn’t in ‘10 which is great because it rains all the damned time here now and mold is off the charts constantly. I’m starting back on shots soon but it’ll be a while until those are effective.

I’ve been on Allegra D 12 for a few years and it doesn’t seem to have any effect anymore; I’ve recently added Flonase which doesn’t seem to do much. I’d had taken Nasal Azelastine for a few years but recently stopped it before allergy testing and haven’t gone back on it. I do the washes which don’t seem to help much and I use Afrin sparingly when the symptoms get totally out of hand. I’m just looked for anecdotal evidence of what works well for other people and what gives you weird side effects.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
I used to take an allergy pill every day for like 30 years. two years ago I did acupuncture every week for a few months, since then I do a nasal spray maybe once a week if I feel something coming on. Not sure if it was the acupuncture or not, but I'll go start it once a month again as I think it did help me

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
I too have had very bad allergies all my life. As I've aged, they have changed.
Now it seems some years are better / worse than others. And like you, when I
was younger, I had years of allergy shots.

I think you're doing the right thing by trying & testing different treatments / meds
to try to figure out what is best for you.

It seemed that when I finally found something that worked for me, they get rid of it!
Seldane was great, then the government decided to remove it from the market!

The med I found last year that worked great for me was Flonase nose spray, and how
wonderful it is now available without a prescription, its not cheap, but to me, worth
every penny.

I hope you find some kind of relief, it's horrible, I know.

·
Registered
7,538 Posts
Been through the ringer here too, nasal sprays as a kid, polyp surgery, more sprays, shots, pills.

I find nasal sprays to be shit, and always have. Over prescribed like crazy because every doctor thinks they are magic. Long term use of any corticosteroid spray is fucking retarded, with a host of side effects, and you will fuck your hormone levels eventually.

For my money, the best thing I ever did was immunotherapy shots, helped a lot.

Currently I'm doing the immunotherapy sublingual pills. First time for them, not as effective as the shots for me.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
I'd be in the ER twice a year until I started shots. Even though I'm "ok" to stop them, I still go monthly. Once I get around that 30 day mark, I notice my breathing start to go to shit.

·
Banned
3,512 Posts
yep, i never tried the netty pot, but i feel for this gizmo and like using it. it makes a big difference for me.
How does it work and what do you do when it's working? I'm asking this because I've seen the commercials and think it might actually help me,but I cannot stand water in or around my nostrils and I'm not entirely sure I could stand having water flowing through my sinuses.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
My brother told me you must really be suffering if you are water-boarding yourself. Nasal rinse does nothing for me but I wanted to give it a try. One of the guys at work now just uses a rinse and no allergy meds. Give a try maybe it will work for you.

·
Registered
948 Posts
are you guys talking sinus allergies or skin allergies? i've got some really messed up skin thing with exposure to salt (sweat or salt water) that I have never been able to find anything to help it. fucking sucks

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
I live in SA and am also allergic to mold. We are screwed.
Not a fan of allergy shots so I hit flonase twice a day and while I think the neti pot deals would probably benefit me I just can't run that much water thru my nose without thinking I am drowning. So I use a saline spray and blow my nose real good then swab the inside with a q-tip and neosporin at night. It helps, but some days I think there is a golf ball stuffed behind my eye.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.