Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
IN a pro charged drag race engine with a dry sump oil system, what weight oil should be used in an 1800 hp or so engine? Being as the dry sump system keeps the oil cooler and if your sitting for a while on the ropes of a drag boat race, your oil is steadily cooling off and the oil pressure is a lot higher the cooler the oil is. This is with using a 20-50 oil. should the higher viscocity oil be used for the shear strength of the thicker oil with a boosted engine or should a lower viscocity be used to keep the oil pressure in reasonable range? Is it true the thicker oil provides better safety margin with boosted engines for a short drag race. Its just hard to keep any oil temp in a motor waiting for a run.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I read a lot on this as there has been many threads. I think the consensus is use what the engine builder recommends. Mine recommended vr1 20-50 mine is a "low" horsepower 496

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
Do you run an oil heater?? If you don't you should.

Heat of the oil and bearing clearances are important to answer your question.

But in general with your application, I'd think a good straight weight oil like Red Line Racing Synthetic 30w would work. I ran that weight and oil in my 632 nitrous gas engine with very good results. That was in the 1500-1600hp range. My current engine I run 40w Red Line Racing Synthetic. Never any bearing issues. But I do have an oil heater and keep it plugged between rounds.

Blessings........Ron

1 - 5 of 5 Posts