Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For all you LS guys out there that aren't on the LSX or aftermarket 6 bolt blocks/ heads....

What type of power have you been making?
How reliable is your combo at this level?
Do you think you have room to push it further without mass destruction?

Just curious how far the community has been pushing before jumping to a different head/ block.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
We ran 5.80s @ 121-122 in a 3680 lb race weight car. I was more worried about the rods/pistons than anything else. LQ iron block, eagle/JE reciprocating parts and crank, LS9 head with arp studs. Probably could've done a little more but we had chassis problems moving all that weight around.

·
Dyslexic Lord of the Sith
3,632 Posts
We ran 5.80s @ 121-122 in a 3680 lb race weight car. I was more worried about the rods/pistons than anything else. LQ iron block, eagle/JE reciprocating parts and crank, LS9 head with arp studs. Probably could've done a little more but we had chassis problems moving all that weight around.
What was the turbo/ hp on this combo?

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Turbo was a TV 8513 straight off of a Detroit diesel 8V92 (lol). That's a larger mid frame with an 88mm compressor. 23 psi, cheap liquid to air cooler packed with ice, C16 fuel.

Car was a 99 WS6, THM-400 rmvb/brake that had a flipped intermediate sprag and thus no 2nd gear, 3.25:1 gears, stock suspension, 275/60 m/t classic radial. I think it had a little more in it if we had 2nd gear, but it started spinning the wheel inside the tire from all the weight, and the low/reverse band was glazed over so the transbrake wouldn't hold. Car is nearly done at the chassis shop, so we're hoping to try again with an S480/glide and hopefully about 500 lbs less weight.

·
Registered
997 Posts
You can make a 4 bolt block hold quite a bit. But the way i see it a properly done 4 bolt set up costs just as much as doing a 6 bolt set up.

·
Registered
5,761 Posts
You can make a 4 bolt block hold quite a bit. But the way i see it a properly done 4 bolt set up costs just as much as doing a 6 bolt set up.
Please explain what the added costs are that bring the price to 6-bolt territory. I'll be generous and say everything $$$ is a wash except for the block. Lets say a 4-bolt block can be bought for $350, and a 6-bolt block can be had for $2000. What modifications can be made (that you wouldn't do to a 6-bolt set up) that cost around $1600 to make it a "properly set up" combo? In order for your statement to hold true, this would have to be money spent on the 4-bolt combo that does not get spent on the 6-bolt combo....and I think I am being generous with the numbers here.

I can't see it.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Please explain what the added costs are that bring the price to 6-bolt territory. I'll be generous and say everything $$$ is a wash except for the block. Lets say a 4-bolt block can be bought for $350, and a 6-bolt block can be had for $2000. What modifications can be made (that you wouldn't do to a 6-bolt set up) that cost around $1600 to make it a "properly set up" combo? In order for your statement to hold true, this would have to be money spent on the 4-bolt combo that does not get spent on the 6-bolt combo....and I think I am being generous with the numbers here.

I can't see it.
Guess you guys have never seen a Dry decked/1/2" head stud, Double O-ring'd 4 bolt block then huh?

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
Guess ubhave never seen a non filled iron block on stock heads with a single boring make a ton of power . Better check that link

·
Registered
997 Posts
Guess ubhave never seen a non filled iron block on stock heads with a single boring make a ton of power . Better check that link
I've seen plenty..... What i just listed would take over 1500hp with ease. And if you did the same to a LSx block it would take over 2500hp (we made 3000 but had 5/8 head studs...).

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Still beating a stock oem LS3 block from 2008. I got it from GM when they first came out $900. Tune your shit right! N20FTMFW!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts