Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What type of switch do I need to run in line between my alternator and battery, so I can just hit the switch and not have to disconnect the alt. to battery wire before I take my car to the track. Who sells the switch or what rating (amp/voltage) am I looking for when buying a switch. I have a powermaster 140amp alternator.

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
I would use a high amp relay not a switch. Let the switch engage the relay. RM

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
I thought he wanted to save the HP it requires to turn it. With a constant duty solonoid like many folks use on high amp draw fuel pumps he could do it with a toggle switch inside the car. RM

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Correct trying to save the power it takes to turn it. Did some testing and gained an avg. of .05 in the 1/4mi. by taking off the alt. belt and disconnecting the alt. wire at the kill switch in the trunk. I want to put in a switch in the drivers compartment, so I can dissconnect the alt. before a pass and turn it on the return road...

·
Registered
527 Posts
If the alternator is connected to the battery it is always powered (obviously) this could be catastrophic in a crash, or even if the alternator wires gets cut or chaffed there is no way to kill it without opening the trunk and disconnecting the cable. Ever see how fast a wire burns from a short?

·
Registered
2,921 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts