Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I dont have alot of body work expeirence, but Im sure I am going to have to start over. I removed the paint off the roof of my 92 mustang beacause it was peeling. I was doing the body work anyway. It wasnt the flattest, so I did the filler work and ran out of time to get the Epoxy on. I was going to have a shop shoot it real quick to get it coated before winter. Ran out of time and money so car was in garage covered up, removed cover and found this.

Im pretty sure its surface rust. It sands off real easy, but its just around the edge of the filler. Its only on the roof, not the quarter panels that are bare. Any help would be appreciated. Do I sand it all off and reapply filler before it goes to shop. It will be another month before then. What do I have for options.Thanks.

·
Registered
706 Posts
just clean it up and put some epoxy on it..

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
You have got to make sure that rust isnt up under the bondo, even a little. Sand some spots of that rust out and if its under the plastic you are going to have to sand those areas back a little to remove all of the rust and redo the plastic work, then you prime and don't have to worry about rust creeping under all that nice work and ruining it and rerusting and your bad repairing it again. DR

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
the way i do it is, when i have the panel bare metal, i do my metal work, then Epoxy prime, flash off and urethane prime. Then i do my plastic work on top of the primer. Epoxy on metal gives you the max corrosipn protection because as you see, the body filler has NO corrosion protection.
As already mentioned, just sand the rust off and when you have nice bare metal, Epoxy prime it. Dont worry about re doing the feather edge on the filler, just get some primer on there and , then smoothe out your low spots with polyester

1 - 7 of 7 Posts