Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Let the Clutch Out
17,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wifes 02 WS6 is got 36,000 miles on it and currently runs (best) 13.07 107 1.99 60' on BFG KD. The car is a auto pure stock other than a KN and Synthetic Oil. Like the fact we can Drive this thing down South and Would hate to lose that Nice Feature. Like to get into the Mid to low Twelves And Not lose driveability.

·
Registered
811 Posts
It depends on what your price line is more than anything. Headers make a difference and can net you some high 12's pretty easy but don't expect to run bottom 12's or anything like that. Maybe only a tenth or two gain, but it's a good starting point. Headers with a nice cat back muffler setup can sound pretty nice on the street too.

I have quite a few videos of my car when I had a head and cam swap as well as headers and a Corsa exhaust. http://www.derty.org/photogallery/categories.php?cat_id=5. I only had a few when it was just the headers and exhaust.

Cam swaps are pretty cheap to do and can easily get you in the 12's. There are a few auto's that with a cam swap and converter swap that run consistent mid to high 11's with a cam shaft that is not going to rattle your teeth out. You can graduate from there to a set of heads as well. Obviously if you are thinking about a nice set of heads you would get a cam that is more appropriate for the new head versus your stock heads. But that again depends on what you want to spend.

On the other hand doing something forced induction whether it be blower or turbo adds a pretty nice wow factor to the car as well.

As far as price points go. A converter is between 500 and 1500 depending on what you prefer. Camshafts are around $400 or so plus new pushrods. Depending on the size you may want to upgrade the springs as well. Heads start at around 1500 and can top out around 8000 for full on race heads (which you don't need). There are a few places that offer really good head and cam packages at pretty affordable price points.

You do not need a converter for a cam swap, but it can make a big difference just by itself. The install for a camshaft is pretty straight forward and can be done in the better part of a day or so. I did my own back when I first got mine and it included a head swap. Spent two days on it and got it tuned. It was a riot!

So, there are a few options. Do you know what sort of direction you want to try? I hope this helps.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts