Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i already have a 30-30, 243, 25-06, 30-06 an 270 an i want to go a little bigger(not over kill) i want it for bear ,elk,or moose but still want to use it on whitetail if need be.
i know the 30-06 or 270 will do it, but the kids are getting bigger so i was getting me something.i was thinking 338 mag but thought that was a little much for deer, what do you guys suggest?
ps i want a tikka. thanks.

·
Registered
4,700 Posts
Flip a coin. I was always a .300 guy.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i thought 338 was over kill but not sure ,but if so was thinking 300 win mag,i looked at a 300 weatherby mag but couldnt see paying 75.00 a box

·
Registered
363 Posts
where im from, the .300 win mag ammo is cheaper than the 338, 7-8mm mag by a bunch, plus it's easy to find too,, I understand there all harder to find in some other places in the country

·
Registered
4,490 Posts
I have used both 300 win for moose and killed a elk this year with 7mm. I prefer the 7mm less kick and still has some knockdown!

·
Registered
214 Posts
I have 2 tikka's not a better rifle if you dont plan on upgrades. I realy like 300win its capable medium-sized game and large sized game in North America.

·
Registered
8,823 Posts
7mm for me .. I have them both though.. I Like the 7mm over My 300win and my .300 WBY MAG.. But the 340 WBY and up is a different story

·
Registered
494 Posts
Love my savage 7mm rem mag. Talk about a long range flat shooting round with plenty of knock down power. Either way you go you cant go wrong so flip a coin.

·
Registered
4,490 Posts
Dropped this guy like a rock at 200 yards in October 2012 with my 7mm

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
You really can't go wrong either way. After thinking about it for a few minutes I couldn't give a good reason to pick one over the other, atleast not enough to be a deal breaker. You'll enjoy either one so just go with your gut.

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
A good way to gut a deer when hitting them in the front should is to use a 300 win mag at < 50 yards!....

I like both rounds, but after picking up pieces of deer with the 300 win mag, I began to get a little creative with the 7mm mag when reloading --now I have a round I like a lot for white tails.

I just could not find a happy loaded 300 win mag round or a accurate reloaded round that would not make a mess out of a white tail.

IMO...it would be the 7mm mag--flatter shooting round with great knock down power at long range.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts