Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know what kind of plant this is? Fucking things are growing like wild fire in my sideyard.

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content

·
Registered
6,278 Posts
Polk

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
Looks like small "polk-salad" - hehe. What they call it here in alabama. Does the stalks get much larger and have a purple hue to it with berries at the end of the year? 6'+ tall here

·
Gold Member
6,003 Posts
I hate those things! When I was a kid, they were everywhere, and my little sister would always pick some of those berries off and smear them on my clothes lol. I believe they're poisonous.

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
Just in case you guys get stranded in the woods or something and are hungry. (Pokeweed Plant) AKA Polk-Salad

NEVER EAT POKEWEED RAW. Before you pick pokeweed and cook it, make sure you know what you're doing. Go along with someone who is familiar with the plant.

Pokeweed shoots (greens) should only be picked early in the spring when the plant is short. Pokeweed is a nutritious plant and has 8,700 IU's of vitamin A per 100g serving. Pokeweed was important to early American settlers and farm families since it's one of the earliest greens to sprout in the spring. People were grateful to eat something fresh after a long winter.

Poke berries and dried roots are often used in herbal remedies. However, they can be poisonous if not used correctly.

Poke weed is spelled Poke or Polk. It's also known as Poke Salad (or Poke Sallet) Virginia Poke, Pokeberry, Scoke, Ombu, Pigeonberry, Ink berry, Cancer root, Pokebush, Pokeroot, Wild spinach, and American Nightshade.

Poke Plants are toxic to animals. Animals may feed on poke plants, especially in the spring or where grass is short.

Birds LOVE the berries on poke, which ripen in the fall. The berries attract birds such as bluebirds, cardinals, mockingbirds, and finches.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Looks like small "polk-salad" - hehe. What they call it here in alabama. Does the stalks get much larger and have a purple hue to it with berries at the end of the year? 6'+ tall here
Im not sure I've been pulling them out of the ground weekly.

Some of them have a huge root system.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts