Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a roots blower set on on a street car w/ AC, I want to buy the best cooling radiator I can get, Ive seen alot with the fan shroud that covers the hole back of radiator ,so it would pull air thru all of the fin area, Dewitts said ya only need 70% cover to cool it,They make a direct fit, claims of handling 1000hp.dual fan.

Is there any good and bad out there

Dewitts
CR racing
afco
ron davis
griffin
bcool

Thanks for any suggestions

Rob

·
Registered
3,071 Posts
I use a Griffin 31x19 for 159.00 bucks, and car always runs cool even in traffic. No way I'm paying 450+ dollars for a direct fit radiator, when I can fabricate a couple of brackets cheaply!

·
Registered
678 Posts
I use a Griffin 31x19 for 159.00 bucks, and car always runs cool even in traffic. No way I'm paying 450+ dollars for a direct fit radiator, when I can fabricate a couple of brackets cheaply!
great advice !!!!!!!! the griffin and summit radiators work great, personally i would spend the extra $100 and get the 2 row 1.25" thick core, the regular $159 range one is 2 row 1" well worth the $100 bucks for the 1.25" 2 row, you can NEVER have enough cooling in a blower street car !!!!!!

and also , i would not use a shroud at all, let the aluminium breathe !! flex a lite makes a cheap double fan set up that fits perfectly in a 31" wide chevelle radiator, we use that chevelle style in all our nova and camaro set ups, just cut open the core support slightly and have at it

also, use the cooling line from the rear area of the intake to the front thermostat housing area, use a -10 line and 1/2" pipe back there, the heads are already open for them !!! the water gets trapped back there and cant come up front , worth 20 degrees on a big block !!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
4,516 Posts
also, use the cooling line from the rear area of the intake to the front thermostat housing area, use a -10 line and 1/2" pipe back there, the heads are already open for them !!! the water gets trapped back there and cant come up front , worth 20 degrees on a big block !!!!!!!!!!!!!
I am going to have to check this out!

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is s sbc, Ive got the rear water pass looped from side to side.the front intake water is hooked to the heater.The blower shop said on a small block it want make any difference, so i just went side to side for the hell of it,

Yea on a big block blower boat motor we did a back to back test running them to the front,made 15 hp on the dyno

It has a ac condenser in front of the radiator,I could cut the opening some, once I get it running and bugs out I figure ill replace the 1970 condenser with a new style that is suppose to not restrict air flow as much,

I don't mind paying extra for a direct fit radiator and its going to be as big as it will fit anyway.

Some info ive found 12" or 13"
Dewitts two rows of 1 1/4" tubes,this increases capacity by 25%

some of the can make it w/ the bigger 12in or 13in fans , core radiator is 28.25" wide.

Dewitts can make a custom shroud to cover all of the fin area and ad blow off holes/flaps in the corners.

DeWitt's and Griifin are the only two companies that actually manufacture their own radiators complete.The other buy core and wld then together or like BeCool buys and sells radiators so they do not have the flexibility to go larger or thicker. BeCools radiators are two rows of 1" thick tubes, which is the industry standard . Griffin and DeWitt's can go thicker.

Dewitts rad is CAB brazed, Griffin uses an epoxy backfill to seal the tubes t

http://www.dewitts.com/collections/...-1977-chevelle-aluminum-radiator-manual-28-25

http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/01...num-Radiator-4139003M_grande.jpg?v=1390085162

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ron davis recommend just the one inch and the 1 1/4 would have to be custom made,his shround is set off the fins more and he put 2 16 inch spal fans on it, as the pick the fans over lap the tanks, but im sure it would pull more air as being bigger

They said the bigger core is .600 thicker,so there might be a clearance issue with the blower belt

They said they supply Nelson racing engines for all his turbo motors,1in tubes,,,,, My thinking is a turbo setup would build less heat than a roots blower when just riding around town, cruising?

Im thinking 90% of my driving would be around town, below 50mph,and very few highway speeds,at the track it would be a good bit more boost tune up.

i like the idea of the larger fans

thanks for all the sugestions

rob

http://www.rondavisradiators.com/68-77-CHEVELLE-RADIATOR.jpg

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Becool uses a plastic fan shroud like the sirocco fan kits on my race car, It doesn't look like full coverage and its uses cheesy brackets holding it on. more generic looking,

I don't mind the polished aluim ,but I don't like chrome plated plastic.

I wouldn't think it would have 100 coverage , also with the brackets not sure if the shroud even seals against the fins

http://becool.com/fans/extreme-fans

they say around 1500,
Rad 60008 4450.00
fan 75638 $361.00
braket kit
wire kit $111.00
Cap 34.00

to me this seem more like for show cars/ Or maybe just a different way of doing it.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I saw these guys a the last PRI show, new to me but they seem to be more into imports?

http://www.mishimoto.com/

Also Im thinking that if the fan company rates there flow/cfm, It would change in fin design and fin thickness and core thickness

Also if they rates there fan like BarryGrant fuel pumps at 14.5 volts:(

·
Registered
267 Posts
http://www.alumrad.com/

I am having these guys build my radiator. Shipped today and should have it by Friday.

Custom built to my specs with -20 AN fittings and a -6 steam fitting (LS engine). Also sent them my fan shroud so they could mount tabs to the end tanks for a custom factory looking fit. $525 total.

This will be going into my 73 Camaro Whipple powered street car.

Call and ask for Skip.

·
Registered
3,071 Posts
I use the cheap $159 griffin with the flexilite dual fan setup on my Procharged sbc (1027rwhp) and it cruises 185* no problem. Why spend more than you have to? Ran the same setup in a roots blown corvette which dosent have much airflow through the front end and always ran cool too. These radiator companies want you to think you gotta have a Mack truck radiator that's a $1000 setup and it's just not true. Spend your money on another speed part you need!

·
Registered
4,602 Posts
You can always split the radiator to the sides or move it forward. Mine, cleared a side mount f1r with, a belt, drive pump and mandrel. Remove the spacer?

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the suggestions,

Is there a disadvantage if they use epoxy when brazing the tubes? one person said something about the epoxy getting on the inside of the tube restricting flow?

Im leaning towards a RonDavis ,They have a 1 inch tube in stock,They said that would be plenty of cooling? They are 9 weeks out on a 1 1/4 tube. also they only have a 90 day warranty,I was told if a core goes bad you have to replace the hole radiator. Ron Davis uses 16 inch fans with custom made shroud 4000+cfm

Also on a 1 1/4 core with the heavy duty fans,they may hit the blower belt?

I can get a deal on the becool, but I don't like their fan shroud brackets, the fans are not sealing to the radiator.

Talked to a lady at Griffin,idiots

Dewitts has a life time warranty against defects, they also 4-6 weeks out on making one.

I really like the aluminum fan shroud made to fit the radiator.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I would suggest giving http://www.maradynehp.com/ a call for your fan needs I spoke with CJ he knows his fans....he was willing to spend the time to talk to me about them and not pushy. Worth a call. I was having a overheating issue with my car and ended up going with a C&R Radiator and Maradyne fans problem fixed.
b

·
Registered
135 Posts
Give Paul at C&R a call. I like mine really well. It costs a bit more, but if you watch indy car, nascar and other motorsports you will see a ton of their stuff in them. That says something about their stuff I think.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts