Yellow Bullet Forums banner

41 - 60 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
2,584 Posts

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
The hard rock sound started with the electric guitar and it doesn't really matter who started it. What's important is that its evolved over the years. Case in point. The Fender Stratocaster was introduced in 1957. This clean sounding guitar has been a favorite of many famous players. Jimi Hendrix, David Gilmore, Eric Clapton, and many others made their name with this guitar. But..... The Gibson Les Paul had the double humbucking pickups and that's when Rock & Roll got mean, nasty, and downright dirty sounding. Then, 20 years later (in the mid '70's) someone comes along like Eddie Van Halen and he loves the look of the Fender but loves the sound of the Gibson. What does he do? He removes a single coil pickup on the Fender looking body, installs a humbucker, and guess what? He's got the look of the Fender Strat with the sound of the Gibson Les Paul and his legendary "Brown" sound. Who would have thought that one out? Damn, both guitars made Rock & Roll and that's why they're legendary today.

·
Trolling the Trolls
14,163 Posts
The hard rock sound started with the electric guitar and it doesn't really matter who started it. What's important is that its evolved over the years. Case in point. The Fender Stratocaster was introduced in 1957. This clean sounding guitar has been a favorite of many famous players. Jimi Hendrix, David Gilmore, Eric Clapton, and many others made their name with this guitar. But..... The Gibson Les Paul had the double humbucking pickups and that's when Rock & Roll got mean, nasty, and downright dirty sounding. Then, 20 years later (in the mid '70's) someone comes along like Eddie Van Halen and he loves the look of the Fender but loves the sound of the Gibson. What does he do? He removes a single coil pickup on the Fender looking body, installs a humbucker, and guess what? He's got the look of the Fender Strat with the sound of the Gibson Les Paul and his legendary "Brown" sound. Who would have thought that one out? Damn, both guitars made Rock & Roll and that's why they're legendary today.
Might wanna give some credit to Marshall Amps as well, from the UK :)

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Might wanna give some credit to Marshall Amps as well, from the UK :)
Yup, I should have added them but my post was already a bit long.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
I think a lot of you guys are confusing 'rock' with 'hard rock', which is two very distinct different sounds. I wouldn't consider any of the 60's,70's era rock bands 'hard rock' with the exception Led Zeppelin, which is kind of a stretch, their sound was more of a hard bluesy rock, IMO 'hard rock' really didn't hit the scene till the British invasion with bands like Judas Priest, Iron Maiden and Motorhead.
I have to agree. The British Invasion, while hard rocking, was kind of tame compared to Black Sabbath and Led Zeppelin.

·
Message In Blood
1,996 Posts
That was the first band I thought of. I remember the first time I heard Summertime Blues. I had never heard anything remotely close to that before.

·
Message In Blood
1,996 Posts
That was the first band I thought of. I remember the first time I heard Summertime Blues. I had never heard anything remotely close to that before.
I quoted Jimmy's take of Blue Cheer.

·
T/S 368E
26,690 Posts

HARD rock is hard rock!!!
Deep Purple, Led Zep, Sabbath etc etc.
Chuck Berry was rock, not hard rock.
I would never consider anything from the 50's as hard rock.
Just like Tull is rock & only rock, no matter what they engrave on a trophy!!!!

41 - 60 of 74 Posts