Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been fighting this engine for a few years and have had limited time to run it, I have had zero data logging info and have been at it blind. I did have it on a chassis dyno and it made 652 peak rpm was 6500 and it started to fall off. I think I had some ignition problems with the car and possibly some battery voltage issues 3500 lb race weight I have been mid 5.70s. The Engine is a 14.2:1 10.2 deck 4.5x4.5 572 with shelf Brodix Head Hunter 383 MC Heads. Dart tunnel ram with 2 1050 Ultra Hp Dominators. 871/823 lift 283/304 dur 113 lobe sep installed @111 it had a msd 8570 small cap distributor and a 7al box. This Year I am using a Link Ecu to control the ignition and data log. I put a crank trigger on it and I'm running a coil near plug setup on a 16v system also running q16. I will know more in a few week when everything is up and going but I feel like it should have made power at high rpm than 6500 am I wrong? I'm hoping it was a ignition deal. What should this setup make for power? Sorry for my rambling at work and its nice out I should be in the garage!!!!

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Q16 is wasted on a 14.2 motor,probably make more power on c12. My 355 headed low deck 572 makes peak at 7500 with less cam....on engine Dyno it should make 980 to 1000....

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
I agree , Q16 is the wrong fuel for that engine. I think you are a 100HP low on the chassis dyno (650 versus 750+)where the engine should be at 1000HP (engine dyno). Obviously that combo should get to 7500rpm and that probably accounts for 50 or so HP of the loss, but there could be some of the ignition and fuel issues you speak of and we don't really have the real numbers on the cam. The head cfms on those Brodix heads are more than enough to get the engine to 7500 rpms and 1000HP if the cam is optimum and the tune is right.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I know I don't need Q16 for the compression but would it not make more power on it over a fuel like c12? The car is being ran in heads up stuff so i'm trying to go as fast as possible with out tearing into the engine this year.

·
Registered
21,523 Posts
I have been fighting this engine for a few years and have had limited time to run it, I have had zero data logging info and have been at it blind. I did have it on a chassis dyno and it made 652 peak rpm was 6500 and it started to fall off. I think I had some ignition problems with the car and possibly some battery voltage issues 3500 lb race weight I have been mid 5.70s. The Engine is a 14.2:1 10.2 deck 4.5x4.5 572 with shelf Brodix Head Hunter 383 MC Heads. Dart tunnel ram with 2 1050 Ultra Hp Dominators. 871/823 lift 283/304 dur 113 lobe sep installed @111 it had a msd 8570 small cap distributor and a 7al box. This Year I am using a Link Ecu to control the ignition and data log. I put a crank trigger on it and I'm running a coil near plug setup on a 16v system also running q16. I will know more in a few week when everything is up and going but I feel like it should have made power at high rpm than 6500 am I wrong? I'm hoping it was a ignition deal. What should this setup make for power? Sorry for my rambling at work and its nice out I should be in the garage!!!!
Are you asking what it should make for power on a engine dyno or RWHP since that is what you mentioned above?:confused:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm wondering about engine dyno. I only listed RWHP numbers because I felt the RPM was low and the number was a little low. Based on weight and ET I figured it makes about 900 at the flywheel.

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
Has the tunnel ram been heavily ported??. If not it's killing power and the runners are long for higher rpm. 2 - 1050 carbs is probably small. Check vacuum under the carbs in the plenum at RPM.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Has the tunnel ram been heavily ported??. If not it's killing power and the runners are long for higher rpm. 2 - 1050 carbs is probably small. Check vacuum under the carbs in the plenum at RPM.
Intake was port matched and it looks like it has had some work done. I picked it up used so I really don't know how much was done. I will check vacuum. I have really gone at this whole deal very blindly and hope to have a lot more data soon to help sort this out.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have a Brodix BM2027 I could put on but I'm limited to a 1050 carb at this point. It should still be faster with the tunnel ram shouldn't it? If I pulled a carb of and took pictures of the intake would you be able to tell how extreme the port work is? I haven't seen a factory intake so I really can't tell. Thanks for the help guys!

·
Registered
5,449 Posts
Get those little things ironed out first. They could be a major cause of some of your issues. Your Et/weight seems pretty respectable but there should be more there. What is your goals????

I agree with what other said about the intake needing work. Those heads pass some good air so your intake could be holding it back in the upper RPM's.

FYI this was local back 5 years ago:

577ci Conventional Head BBC - Complete Carb to Pan
Brodix Headhunter Heads w/T&D Rockers
Super Victor Intake
CFM/Cale Cubic 2.350" Dominator Carb setup for Q16 w/ Billet 2" spacer
Custom 55mm Camshaft
Dart Big M Block w/ Bushed Lifter Bores and 55mm Cam Tunnel
Ross Pistons
GRP Aluminum Rods
SCAT Lightweght 4.250" Crank
Titan Internal Wet Sump Oil Pump
Moroso Fabricated Aluminum PanStar Vacuum Pump
MSD Crank Trigger and Distributor
Comp Cams Belt Drive
ATI Balancer
CSR Water Pump

Motor made 1230hp @ 8000rpm on Q16 at Dyno'ed in April 2011.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Get those little things ironed out first. They could be a major cause of some of your issues. Your Et/weight seems pretty respectable but there should be more there. What is your goals????

I agree with what other said about the intake needing work. Those heads pass some good air so your intake could be holding it back in the upper RPM's.

FYI this was local back 5 years ago:

577ci Conventional Head BBC - Complete Carb to Pan
Brodix Headhunter Heads w/T&D Rockers
Super Victor Intake
CFM/Cale Cubic 2.350" Dominator Carb setup for Q16 w/ Billet 2" spacer
Custom 55mm Camshaft
Dart Big M Block w/ Bushed Lifter Bores and 55mm Cam Tunnel
Ross Pistons
GRP Aluminum Rods
SCAT Lightweght 4.250" Crank
Titan Internal Wet Sump Oil Pump
Moroso Fabricated Aluminum PanStar Vacuum Pump
MSD Crank Trigger and Distributor
Comp Cams Belt Drive
ATI Balancer
CSR Water Pump

Motor made 1230hp @ 8000rpm on Q16 at Dyno'ed in April 2011.
I would really like to see 40s this year (I did have a stars aligned night where I ran a 72 and a 69) but we will see several other changes have been made to the car. I went from a 32x16-15 tire to a 29.5x10.5, much better shock package and and a diet along with all the logging/engine management.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts