Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is a good ring set to use in my 383 n/a 14:1 build ?
I'm gathering parts, and have not ordered rings yet, it's a track only build, it may see a small 150-200 plate shot in the future.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Hellfires are pretty hard on the bore arn't they, I need some longevety, but performance too, I'm not gonna spray 3 or 400 or the likes...

·
Registered
11,591 Posts
Not sure about the nitrous (nitrous use is considered gay in Australia, no joke!) but I am extremely happy with the Total Seal Gapless rings in my SBC. I run alcohol, no milking whatsoever since switching over.

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
What ring sizes are the pistons designed for? These sizes are important in trying to pick out the right ring for the application. Atleast i think of it that way.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not sure about the nitrous (nitrous use is considered gay in Australia, no joke!) but I am extremely happy with the Total Seal Gapless rings in my SBC. I run alcohol, no milking whatsoever since switching over.
yea, I been running n/a alky sand drag 4-wheelers for 15 yrs, tune the egt temps right, and milking is not an issue for sure, but newbie to building the sbc, just asking around what would be best, is the majority going gapless, top only or both ?

·
Butch
8,208 Posts
We never had any milking on alcohol with standard rings, but the important thing is making sure that second gap is large enough to let out what gets trapped between the rings hurting ring seal (Or run a Gapless top in your case), this way it allows the top ring to remain seated and most importantly SEALING. We ran well over .035"+ on the second ring, .020" on the top. Oil just as clean as can be.

·
Butch
8,208 Posts
1/16 1/16 3/16
4.030" bore , Icon #IC794 piston
I would call Total Seal and get a set of the Gold Finish rings. They are a ductile iron ring with a face coating. This ring is very nice

·
Butch
8,208 Posts
yea, I been running n/a alky sand drag 4-wheelers for 15 yrs, tune the egt temps right, and milking is not an issue for sure, but newbie to building the sbc, just asking around what would be best, is the majority going gapless, top only or both ?
IMO Gapless is not needed. The ring gap closes up to almost nothing when hot anyways, think about if you set the ring gap a little tight with a high ring location and it butt's. How did it close up over .010" to butt?????

Run the correct ring, at the correct gap and you will have no issues. Plate honing is also a very important deal to aid in sealing the rings!!!!!!!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts