Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Back to the front!
5,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Building an NA combo right now, possibly with KB hypers, thinking of stepping up to forged pistons though depending on the answers i get for this question

What kind of rings will i need to spray a 150 shot? I plan on gapping the rings for nitrous even though the motor will be ran N/A most of the time and will see ALOT of street miles (almost 4000)

I have read that moly rings will not work because the coating flakes off...I was planning on speed pro moly's for the build, but if they don't work what will? The car will only be sprayed at the track and nothing large either... I dont want rings that will break the bank, but not sure what ring material to go with if moly isnt an option

·
Back to the front!
5,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
is there another type of ring material out there that wont cost alot of money but will work ok in an N/A application with occasional nitrous use. I dont want to lift the moly off the rings, id rather go with something with no moly, but how well do they seal? and what are they like on the bores?

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
i sprayed 200hp on my 565BBC for a full yr. w/ moly (speed pro) top and a cast 2nd. about 75 passes. when it was taken apart everything was fine. still had perfect vacuum. i also would NOT do more than 200hp. IMO.............BUT remember, 150 turns into 200, then 200 into 250 an so on......................lol like a drug. I run hellfire top and napier 2nd but im 400+ now...enjoy

·
Back to the front!
5,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i sprayed 200hp on my 565BBC for a full yr. w/ moly (speed pro) top and a cast 2nd. about 75 passes. when it was taken apart everything was fine. still had perfect vacuum. i also would NOT do more than 200hp. IMO.............BUT remember, 150 turns into 200, then 200 into 250 an so on......................lol like a drug. I run hellfire top and napier 2nd but im 400+ now...enjoy
well im gonna run hyper pistons as well, plus i dont want to overtax my transmission, so hopefully thats enough to keep me in line and not get greedy:smt082 lol

thanks for the advice man!:p

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
I'd be more concerned about nitrous on the hyper pistons than running a 150hp shot on moly rings. Be careful on your tuneup, they don't take much detonation to crack them.
Have fun....................................................Blessings............Ron.

·
workin it
7,778 Posts
I agree with Ron, pistons are your weakest link, not moly rings. I can't give concrete evidence, but I have been spraying 350-450 for a whole lot of years on speed pro moly rings...consistently until I wanted to pull wheelies and made the car inconsistent(suspension change;))went from a mid 12 second car to a 10.0 car...jmo

·
Back to the front!
5,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey guys, I have been thinking about going with forged ones, gotta see. Thanks for the input! looks like for what im doing the moly shouldnt be a problem

quick1sr, how did you get away with spraying that much on moly rings and not lift the coating right off?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts