Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
I like rage gold.
You might want to epoxy prime your bare metal first. Then scratch it up and use your filler?
I am assuming by filler meaning bondo type filler?

·
Super Moderator
46,529 Posts
Anything you would also use on the outside of a car to do bodywork.

Suggestions,....Rage Gold body filler (by Evercoat),....followed by Icing polyester finishing putty (by USC).

·
hauling 3650lbs of mail
1,149 Posts
rage gold or rage ultra are both easy to sand and very good products.

·
Super Moderator
46,529 Posts
Shrinkage usually isn't a body filler problem,....both the plastic, (Rage), and the finishing putty, (Icing), have hardeners or catalysts, which cause them to chemically dry, not "air" dry,......and they won't shrink.

The shrinking is usually cause by the primers you use over the fillers, (even though these have catalysts, too). The wrong stuff, or the wrong application, is what causes improper drying and hardening,....which results in shrinking later on after paint,....because what's under the topcoat is still drying.

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
The rage gold is what I was thinking also.how is the shrinkage?
I've done about 10 firewalls.I never had a problem.Time consuming cause its mostly by hand.I use Rage filler and Evercoat polyester glaze.Southern Polyurethane 2K primer over the bodywork and their epoxy primer over that.Any imperfections are fixed with the glaze.I used the Scott Rod Panels on the front of the inner fender well.They work great ,great fit.They save lots of work.

·
FUCKING ASSHOLE SINCE '61
7,342 Posts
Shrinkage usually isn't a body filler problem,....both the plastic, (Rage), and the finishing putty, (Icing), have hardeners or catalysts, which cause them to chemically dry, not "air" dry,......and they won't shrink.

The shrinking is usually cause by the primers you use over the fillers, (even though these have catalysts, too). The wrong stuff, or the wrong application, is what causes improper drying and hardening,....which results in shrinking later on after paint,....because what's under the topcoat is still drying.
EXACTLY right on the money!!!
Shrinkage WAS a problem with the old squeeze tubes of stuff.
(Do you remember the yellow tubes of red stuff? :rolleyes:)
I can't remember the name off hand...
Shrank like a MOFO!!!

Your Pal, Gary

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
EXACTLY right on the money!!!
Shrinkage WAS a problem with the old squeeze tubes of stuff.
(Do you remember the yellow tubes of red stuff? :rolleyes:)
I can't remember the name off hand...
Shrank like a MOFO!!!

Your Pal, Gary
if you were and good you did not need any of that crap in the tube :) or that iceing bull shit if you could not finish any thing with out it you did not work in may of the shops i work at boss would fire your ass . the old spot putty was just very thick lacquer primer many made it 3m acme .i been at for some time when we used lead to fix dents

·
Registered
13,298 Posts

·
www.ULTRA-CARBON.com
12,739 Posts
How do you guys feel about Dolphin Glaze? The local place swears by it and stocks it, so we tried it and it's worked well for glazing and small touch ups on molds. It's reasonably priced and we don't use a whole lot of it. Skimming small dips that are less than paper thin or filling little gel coat blistering on plugs is usually what we use it for. It seems to bond to un-scuffed gel coat and sheet metal parts pretty well. Opinions? Funny side note, in the shop, we all call it "Dolphin Jizz".

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
maybe a little eaiser......

instead of using polyester putty.

Finish off your body filler with 100 grit, then use a good spray polyester primer over that,

Sand with 120, 180, 220 and prime

ready for final sand and paint

·
hauling 3650lbs of mail
1,149 Posts
I use polyester primer on all my resto work and projects with lots of bodywork. Like n20 said, step sand and hit it with urethane primer. You'll end up with a really straight job without getting nuts with body filler

·
Registered
315 Posts
How do you guys feel about Dolphin Glaze? The local place swears by it and stocks it, so we tried it and it's worked well for glazing and small touch ups on molds. It's reasonably priced and we don't use a whole lot of it. Skimming small dips that are less than paper thin or filling little gel coat blistering on plugs is usually what we use it for. It seems to bond to un-scuffed gel coat and sheet metal parts pretty well. Opinions? Funny side note, in the shop, we all call it "Dolphin Jizz".
Great product,also try u-pol's Fantastic filler,you'll never buy rage again.

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
Anybody ever use Standox polyester primer ? I wa watching V8 TV on YouTube and they were using it.I may try it on my next project .

1 - 18 of 18 Posts