Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Building sbc 383 for the track only, specs are in sign. below, what oil pump would you suggest ?
I hear horror stories about problems with high-volume, high pressure pumps when not actually needed...

I had in mind just to order a Melling M-55 std. volume/std. pressure pump, is that good enough for my build ???

This will be around a 600 h/p roller motor, track only build.

·
Butch
8,208 Posts
Standard volume or 10% more volume, IMO not a need for any more

·
Registered
68 Posts
10553 - std volume, high pressure.

Select version of the M-55A high pressure pump, we use either of these on all our small block builds - no reason for a high volume pump if you set up your oil clearances properly.

·
Registered
4,158 Posts
Nothing wrong with the pumps mentioned, but I would run a Titan Sportsman myself..........Call it a preference...........

·
Butch
8,208 Posts
10553 - std volume, high pressure.

Select version of the M-55A high pressure pump, we use either of these on all our small block builds - no reason for a high volume pump if you set up your oil clearances properly.
Even with .003" on mains, .0035" on rear main cap, .0025"-.0028" on 2" rod pin, I prefer std volume, or 10% more if a must

·
Registered
68 Posts
Even with .003" on mains, .0035" on rear main cap, .0025"-.0028" on 2" rod pin, I prefer std volume, or 10% more if a must

Yeah, there's really no reason for more than that.

Most of my SBC stuff is set up a little bit tighter though - generally .0025"- .0027" mains/.003"-.0031" thrust and .0021-.0023" on the rods.

·
Butch
8,208 Posts
Yeah, there's really no reason for more than that.

Most of my SBC stuff is set up a little bit tighter though - generally .0025"- .0027" mains/.003"-.0031" thrust and .0021-.0023" on the rods.
I always keep the mains in that area, as I drill the main feeds to 5/16" and sometimes groove the saddles and drill the bearing in the groove for more oiling

The rods I listed are what I run with aluminum rods and right at .002" to .0025" for "most" steel rods

·
Registered
68 Posts
Why not??? I want to supply the pump the best I can.... I always restrict some areas of oil flow in SBCs and I also enlarge some areas on stock blocks as well.
You'll never starve even a high volume pump with a 5/8" pickup.

I would never suggest a high Pressure pump.
Good for you, I will never restrict oil on a SBC, that's 80's tech and is bad for valve train component life.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts