Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
11,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm reading a lot of posts on different forums, seeing a lot of different opinions.

Factory spec calls for 5W-20 synthetic. Lot of folks go to 5W-30 synthetic. I'm confident both will work.

It's summer now, 75 degrees on average temps.

What oil and brand would you run in this motor?:confused:

·
Trump Voter NRA Member
6,500 Posts
I'd use what Ford says, 5/20. These engines with cam phasers need the right viscosity oil. Ford did issue a TSB about not using aftermarket oil filters. Ereryone I work on gets 5/20 and a Motorcraft oil filter and they don't have problems.

·
Registered
16,809 Posts
I'm reading a lot of posts on different forums, seeing a lot of different opinions.

Factory spec calls for 5W-20 synthetic. Lot of folks go to 5W-30 synthetic. I'm confident both will work.

Stick with 5w-20 full synthetic.......do not deviate.

·
Registered
6,055 Posts
5/20 syn. There is a guy in Detroit somewhere that makes $250,000 a year. He's a smart motherfucker. Otherwise use hotdog water. Lol
Zim

·
Registered
11,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hotdog water it is then.

IF dirty dog water isn't readily available, I told them to grab Pennzoil syn or Mobil 1 in 5-20

Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
8,967 Posts
A guy at work (very smart and anal about details) said they put 5/30 in a 5.4 in a fleet pickup at his previous job and they had to replace the engine shortly after. The engine showed no issues before, I don't know what failed. I thought 5/30 wouldn't hurt, but after hearing that I stick to factory spec.

·
Registered
7,182 Posts
I do know a few Ford techs that insist on running a 5/30 full synthetic after 100k miles. Apparently it helps prevent chain tensioner failure and phaser problems on higher mileage engines. I've run both 5/20 and 5/30 and have not noticed a difference honestly.

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
5w 30 all around.If you live in the south go 15w40

Fuck what ford says.
Some of there experts will tell you about the 5w 20 thing.

Go to Makuloco site and watch him for a while.In one video after doing a cam phaser swap he says " I will do my customer a favor and put 5w 30 in this from now on.

https://www.google.com/search?q=makuloco+5.4&rlz=1C1HLDY_enUS771US771&oq=Makuloco+&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j0l5.9016j1j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Its all bullshit. Run 5w 20 get 4 more miles per tankful.That is why,nothing else.
Its an EPA emission / mileage thing.

Here in Pa the state runs 15w 40 in EVERYTHING. They do NOT have engine oil related failures. The 5.4 they have run to about 160K then its off to the auction.

Cam phasers are leaky by design.Not to mention the cam bearing saddles. The passenger head usually starves for oil pressure.

Fact is , is that the SAME engine built for american use gets a 5w 20 cap. Send it to Canada they get a 5w 30 cap. Same fucking junk ass 3valve. They suck.

This topic on Furds has been discussed ad nauseam here .

To many fuckin purists thinking 5 w 20 is "good" for and engine

My newest junk says 5w 20 recommended. Well guess what? I recommend 5w 30. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
The biggest thing to watch for on a 5.4 is crappy filters.

All the oil going to the engine bearings,etc passes throught the filter.Period

The filters (cheap) can shed media (Paper) fibers.OK.

They will travel to the heads and block the oil passage restrictions for the tensioners , first ,usually, and can block other passageways also.THAT is a problem.

Other than that , cam saddle wear because of too thin oil is next.
Add in a oil pump that leaks like an old lawn sprinkler, and your engine is done man.

There are a few reman companies out there that machine the cam tunnels and fit them with babbit bearings , so they last and dont get chewed up on a dry start.

Do some research on the fixes for the 5.4

https://www.enginebuildermag.com/2013/09/powertrain-products-inc-reports-on-problems-with-ford-5-4l-truck-engines/

That guy also uses an upgraded MELLING pump insteadof the leaky ass lawn sprinkler pump ford uses.
Ratcheting type cam tensioners keep the chains in check

My 07 was shit. I worked on that fuckin junk from the day I bought it to the day I sold it.

I shoulda dumped a 7.5 in it and been done with it.

·
Registered
968 Posts

I run 5/20 till 80k then 5/30 winter and 10/30 summer in my fleet customers with no issues. They are mostly the 4 valve motors.

·
Registered
14,521 Posts
I am of the camp that believes that believes 5/30 works a better in hot weather and this is what I run.

I use Mobil 1 and change it out around 6-7500 miles depending on the weather and if its on sale at Vatozone.

To those who believe that either 5/20 or 5/30 will cause engine failure I got some beachfront property in Tennessee for sale you might be interested in.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts