Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m trying to help my brother find a decent used lawn mower without buying total junk, and also without spending $2k.
I don’t mind to fix anything I might find, but 90% of what I find is just cheap disposable MTD junk. I’m obviously aware of commercial brands, but we aren’t trying to spend that kind of money.
Other than John Deere, and even they have cheap models, can anyone make a recommendation?

·
#Tittipicsmatter !
5,952 Posts
Probably not any decent ones. Most of them are MTD or AYP. For a mower less than 2k you might as well get the Walmart special every year and just deal with it. Not much quality to be found in a mower for less than 2k.

·
Registered
637 Posts
I bought a new Troy Bilt mower a while back. Turned out it was an MTD in disguise. I had 2 happy days with that mower- the day it rolled off the trailer for the first time, and the day I loaded that POS up on the trailer and it disappeared into the distance. With that being said, after dumping the MTD, I got a well used Kubota that has been great.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Commercial mowers are gonna be ready for the gallows, if you find a used one. I bought a commercial Cub Cadet ZTR, from an estate sale and still paid $3500 for it. I was willing to spend it for the speed it offers(9mph), over a good old fashioned 4mph rider. A bud has my old Lesco walk behind 52" for sale, if you are near Dayton, Ohio.

·
Registered
5,770 Posts
I’m trying to help my brother find a decent used lawn mower without buying total junk, and also without spending $2k.
I don’t mind to fix anything I might find, but 90% of what I find is just cheap disposable MTD junk. I’m obviously aware of commercial brands, but we aren’t trying to spend that kind of money.
Other than John Deere, and even they have cheap models, can anyone make a recommendation?
I think you may get more bang for the buck if you buy a good used lawn tractor for the cost bracket you are looking at. You can get a newer John Deere X300 series that is five to ten years old for 2K to 2.5K in good shape with a 48" deck. You should be able to cut an acre in about 40 minutes with that.

·
Registered
867 Posts
For 2k any new zero turn you buy is gonna be an absolute piece of shit. Bite the bullet buy a Kubota. I did and I am very happy with it. Kubota nearly always offers 0% financing for 36mos as well.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Find a 2003 to 2008 craftsman gt 5000 or poulan pro garden tractor. They have a excellent Heavy hydro gear rear end very strong! The craftsman will have a kohler command pro. The poulan will most of the time have a 26hp briggs. I have a Xmark Laser Z . But I’ve had the tractor since 2003. I use it to plow snow, haul rock, haul wood. A 1000 lbs is np for it. Over size lug tires, full of fluid, with rim weights. Makes a useful machine.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Cub cadet commercial grade ztr. Can be had for around 2500$. With a nice Koehler motor. Just look out for where the deck pins mount. Where the deck hangs on the pins is 1/4” tabs welded to 1/8” plate that all the pulleys are mounted too. If they have been smacked into trees a lot they like to rip right out of that 1/8” plate.

·
Former RJ instigator
39,939 Posts
Check craigslist and facebook marketplace daily for used commercial mowers.

I bought my 48 inch zero turn Ex-mark for $2200 ( over $10,000 new ), it now has well over 500 hours on it and I've never done anything to it other than routine maintenance and I use almost daily as my wife and I cut grass for extra money.

With that said, I've had extremely good luck with my 46 inch Cub Cadet ZTL ( wife's mower, non commercial ) I think I paid right around $1500 for it brand new @ Lowe's, again, nothing but routine maint, it's been a damn good mower and I beat on it daily.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I think Simplicity still makes their own equipment.
Mike D.

·
Registered
139 Posts
My old 42" White was made in 2000 by MTD and never been garaged. Bought it used 5 years ago for 125 and other than the steering bushing and two idler pulleys it runs and cuts great. One little rust spot on the deck and the parts are dirt cheap online.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I bought a 2005 Snapper Pro 48" zero turn in 2011 with 175 hours on it for $1800. It has 800 hours now, been great. Find a used commercial grade for $2K instead of the big box store residential trash.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks guys for your input.
I did find a Craftsman GT5000 for $500, it looks like a great machine, I’m gonna try to go check it out.

there were some years/modea of Craftsman’s Garden Tractors that were manufactured by Deere, I’m not sure which ones though.

Isn’t it crazy how shitty mowers have gotten? I don’t give a rats ass if it’s 24hp, if they rest of it is made out of coke cans.

·
Registered
4,889 Posts
Don’t forget about Toro wheelhorse. Should be able to find one in your price range. Other than Toro I’d be looking at a Deere that maybe needs a little tinkering. Older Cub stuff was good, look at the GT line, they had the Kohler Command and nice heavy duty gear box.

·
Registered
16,505 Posts
I've read this thread a couple of times and still don't see where you brought anything positive into it.
I didn’t give my opinion or advice because I would suggest a used zero turn from a lawn service, especially a small one man operation. Those guys tend to do proper service on them since it’s their money maker. But the OP said he didn’t want a zero turn, so I didn’t offer my opinion. I did however make an observation. Maybe my observation did contribute something. After reading what I said, maybe people might re-read the title and OP, and not suggest the very thing he said he didn’t want. But, carry on...

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Thanks guys for your input.
I did find a Craftsman GT5000 for $500, it looks like a great machine, I’m gonna try to go check it out.

there were some years/modea of Craftsman’s Garden Tractors that were manufactured by Deere, I’m not sure which ones though.

Isn’t it crazy how shitty mowers have gotten? I don’t give a rats ass if it’s 24hp, if they rest of it is made out of coke cans.
it’s unreal the volume of work I have done with mine. I cut and sold firewood for years on the side. I used mine to get the wood out of logged places. Used a 15 cu-ft cart stack as high as I could, and would bring it out of places I couldn’t get my 4x4 in.

·
FHRITP
49,947 Posts
Some of you either are just hard on shit, or don’t know how to keep a mower together. I mowed 2 acres for nearly 9 years with a 4 year old used janky ass MTD box store mower. I bought a new one because I wanted a bigger deck. Gave the working 13 year old MTD away and it still mowing today. You don’t need a $10k mower get real

1 - 20 of 20 Posts