Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
LP-25.com
2,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to keep a land line number my shop has had for 30 years but moving out. Not opening back up but want to be able to screen business calls. Need the land line number fwd to my cell number. Also don't want to add a number to my cell account.

Anyone have a suggestion?

Thanks in advance.

·
Banned
7,331 Posts
Vonage. I moved a year and a half ago and transferred my land line to Vonage at that time. First year is $15 per month and after that it's $25 per month including all the taxes and fees. Lots of options on how to set it up but I just let everything go to voicemail. It can email or text you the transcribed messages and/or includes an audio file for you to listen to it. Or you can check messages and call logs on the internet.

Add in nomorobo (free) and no more robodialed messages any more, either.

It's VOIP so as long as you have internet service then you can have Vonage phone service. I absolutely love it, I even ripped all the phone lines and jacks out of the walls when fixing the house up. In the future everything will be wireless anyway.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I tried Google voice, we also used Ring Central. We switched to Vonage about 6 months ago, it's been great. We carried our number over, I have full control, automatic answering, phone screening, recording, call blocking, call handling, directory, we have several lines across several locations, with a bunch of desk phones, they all behave like we're in the same room. Just take a programmed phone and plug it into the internet somewhere and it works. I can take my desk phone across the country, plug it in somewhere, and it immediately works as if I were at my desk.

·
Banned
16,080 Posts
Google voice has limitations.
You have to have a laptop or desktop on and logged into your google e-mail account in order to hear an inbound call ringing.
It won't do that on an android device or IOS.

I use my google phone number for all my craigslist ads and it will send an alert to my cell phone when I receive a text or voice message. Then I just call the caller back.

·
Banned
7,331 Posts
I just checked my Vonage account and didn't see any mention of a referral bonus. But I did look at the rate plans again and there are other rate plans not listed. While talking with a rep I found out they have a "US and Canada 400" plan for $12.99 per month, or about $18 with taxes and fees. I switched to that since I don't use my home phone for outgoing calls. All incoming calls are still free.

·
Unfinished Project Champ
1,411 Posts
Google voice has limitations.
You have to have a laptop or desktop on and logged into your google e-mail account in order to hear an inbound call ringing.
It won't do that on an android device or IOS.

I use my google phone number for all my craigslist ads and it will send an alert to my cell phone when I receive a text or voice message. Then I just call the caller back.
Looks like he is going to use Vonage.

Anyway, at one time, don't know if this is still true (but google voice used to be free) and you could transfer your number to google voice and forward that number to any phone or even multiple phone numbers. It did not require that you had a computer to do this or have one turned on (that was a magic jack requirement at one time, don't know if it is still). The only issue was that if you wanted to call someone and the number to show up on the recipients caller ID to be the google voice number, you had to dial it from the computer. That of course could be changed on another providers cell phone to be that number, but if you were going to do that, you might as well of just ported the original number over to the cell phone anyways.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.