Yellow Bullet Forums banner
161 - 180 of 248 Posts

·
Registered
32,689 Posts
Believe it or not I agree with you Randy. Before I was old enough to go to the races by myself I would occasionally see a race car on an open trailer or a dragster in a trailer with plexiglass sides going down the highway. We were usually headed to a campground somewhere. It was very exciting for this young kid crazy about cars.
I think there’s definitely something to this.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Not a spectator sport? Have you ever looked at the stands of a bracket race held in the 60s, 70s, 80s or 90s? If you have... you'd probably had noticed it was a constant decline all the way to the near nonexistence of spectators. People need to remember.. to save something is not to ignore the facts but rather view them for what they are..
That’s fair. I guess my point was that bracket racing doesn’t need the stands to be full to be alive and well. Would it be cool if people watched? Absolutely. But, there’s literally a $5k-$10k race every weekend somewhere. There’s quite a few $20k-$50k races. And, a handful of races that pay $100k+. All those races are paid by participant entries, so to me that means bracket racing is doing quite well.

·
Administrator
137,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #166 ·
That’s fair. I guess my point was that bracket racing doesn’t need the stands to be full to be alive and well. Would it be cool if people watched? Absolutely. But, there’s literally a $5k-$10k race every weekend somewhere. There’s quite a few $20k-$50k races. And, a handful of races that pay $100k+. All those races are paid by participant entries, so to me that means bracket racing is doing quite well.
I totally understand this but a track can be profitable enough to keep the doors open or very profitable where they wouldn't sell to the first bidder. I'm willing to bet the last 10 or so tracks that closed/sold wouldn't have if their stands were full every weekend...

BTW I appreciate your posts. I like objective views without the 3rd grade name calling...

·
Registered
7,652 Posts
I started racing in the '70s. Stands were always packed at bracket races, but there was usually some hired in fuel cars, pro stocks, or some jet cars. The only other things to do were go to the 1 screen theater, the roller rink, or the bar. Plus, drag racing on tv was a 6 week delayed broadcast, not same day or live like now. People also wanted to see their heroes up close because there were only half a dozen national events.

·
Registered
4,572 Posts
I think people have changed, and drag racing doesn't generate the interest it used to. It's just the way it is. It's not the only sport/pasttime that is gradually turning grey. As for things like motorhomes and enclosed trailers, they're not part of the problem, they're just signs of age. I look at going to the track as something that needs to be enjoyable. Thus, we camp at the track as often as we camp at a regular campground. Get home Friday night, load and leave in the span of a couple hours. The awning's out and I'm sipping a cocktail by 8 pm. End of the day Saturday, it's barbecue and beer time.

·
Registered
5,093 Posts
People in general don’t want to work so hard for so little fun. It’s a passion. The newer generations have too much options take their time up with.
we are already used to working hours and even driving hours for our hobby or aka life style.
Not sure if the exact words.
But man
The best car shows are at the race track.
People like heads up racing easy for regular fans to understand.
But it’s expensive. Unless maybe index racing which is still expensive, but considerably less.
You can build quite a bit competitively w used parts smart shopping but you got to put in the time and understand you will be limited more than likely.
It comes down to do you want to put in the time and money.
tracks need consistent income not justonce or even a couple times a month to survive.

·
Former RJ instigator
43,970 Posts
Democrats/tree hugging liberal shit for brains.

It seems to be doing pretty good in my area ( red state ), most of the tracks that have closed were in liberal shithole states.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Not sure about anywhere else but around here they don’t teach drivers ED in school anymore. That’s something you have to sign up for outside of school. This is not helping the situation at all.

·
Registered
26,337 Posts
Dragway 42 was built in the last 5 years. Very nice too. And I grew up during the real era of at home video games. (First Nintendo, Sega, etc.) I was to involved with sports and cars even though I had that stuff. Guess some are just built different.
I've haven't been to Dragway 42 yet since they reopened i do remember the old dusty Dragway 42 although they did have some good shade trees at the old track!!

·
Registered
8,308 Posts
Not a spectator sport? Have you ever looked at the stands of a bracket race held in the 60s, 70s, 80s or 90s? If you have... you'd probably had noticed it was a constant decline all the way to the near nonexistence of spectators. People need to remember.. to save something is not to ignore the facts but rather view them for what they are..
Point taken. While I stand by the premise that bracket racing is a different business model and not a spectator sport.......there used to be more spectators. And like you said, nothing was more exciting than watching the same cars go the same et time after time......that goal hasn't changed. So what did Monty? If it wasn't the type of racing, what are the other things at play spectator wise?

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
I am probably a guy in a guilty sea of not supporting the Hobby. Drag racing specifically. Losing my race buddy base to Cancer and such it just faded away on me. My dad faded away from it and is now just a passing fan though we both enjoy it. I follow it now just out of habit but at a minimal level. The car is covered up and appears to have a future in an estate sale lol....

Something else is the reality of racers. More speed is the addiction and that cost. And a person then takes 2 paths which is keep up at a minimum and that has been my path or throw the coals to it and either wreck yourself fiancially or have the zeal to go make a pile of money and follow your dream. I would say commitment is a good word.

Monty is right about the packed stands in the 70's and 80's. I can remember my first time to our local track in 1980. People everywhere and it was just a Sunday bracket race. And that's the deal. Tracks have to make money and it's a hard business model. If you don't follow the trends (NPK and grudge) it's a uphill battle. That would exclude any NHRA event because they make money period...

JW

161 - 180 of 248 Posts