Yellow Bullet Forums banner
201 - 220 of 248 Posts

·
Administrator
137,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #201 ·
How many local tracks can run a local heads up series, though? I think that is a big benefit to running a bracket series; bracket guys will show up every race and chase points. Heads up will dwindle as guys break, or realize they can’t compete. It seems to me that heads up is great for a couple events per season to help the profit margins, but the bracket races are what help keep the gates open every weekend.
So, how do we attract spectators to a bracket race? I’m really not sure. One idea I think could be worth trying, would be a calcutta, like golf tournaments or ropings. Something that gets spectators invested in the outcome, and maybe the track makes a little money off it.
I agree with everything you are saying but sadly the way I see it is we will continue to see more tracks close each year as we see inflation rise, sponsors walking, spectators staying home, business costs rising, etc... I really hope I'm wrong

·
Registered
15,454 Posts
What killed drag racing? That is soooo simple: It was the drag racers. For some reason, at some point, they believed they should be compensated for their time and monetary investment. They kept pouring money in and assumed they were entitled to a monetary reward. Um. No. If it doesn't bring you joy, without a nickel of monetary compensation, stop now. You'll thank me later. And yes, I am still enjoying the heck out of it...30+ years later. Take care. Tom Worthington

·
Registered
26,337 Posts
No one has to work to go fast anymore. Pretty much everything sold today with a v6 or greater is running a 13-14s 1/4 at 95-100 or more trap. It used to take a lot of work, tinkering and tuning to get there and experience that kind of power and acceleration. Now you just go buy a Honda Odyssey. I think a giant generational gap has developed and the youngsters interested simply don't have the old timers around to give them some help like I had back in the late 90s, early 00s.
Brown Handwriting Grey Font Paper

Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Car Vehicle

Very true this truck i had ran this of course it was the left lane and had a V-6 only Modification was 93 octane fuel!!

·
Registered
9,653 Posts
No doubt.. not many people wanna cut apart a nice car.. and that's where the Mustang comes in...
That and they realized if they kept polishing a turd it still smelled the same.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Night racing until 2-3 in the morning. People want to know who won before they leave. With kids they can't stay till the end, so why go? And sitting in the stands watching a hour + cleanup? Paint drying is more exciting.

·
Registered
15,979 Posts
There are of course a lot of reasons. But in my book the cost of heads up racing is a major factor. I bought my car (after an 18 month search) for 23,500 dollars. That was with an engine and transmission and rear end with 8 motor and 6 light nitrous passes on them.

With this combo I was able to run Outlaw 10.5 at 75 and 80 every Friday night. 100 entry and 2000 to win, often with 30 or more car trying to make a slow and quick 8 car field. This was back in 2002 and my car would run a four on a well prepped modern track but on the 40 yr old blacktop of 75&80 which was prepped about 100 ft out my stuff would run 5.4s and people like Gil Mobley would usually run low teens. So for a total investment (truck trailer and car) of 35k I was able to win money almost every weekend and compete with some of the biggest names in 10.5 and actually managed to beat Mobley/Ulsch in points one year LOL.

What this meant for the track was a sell out crowd every Friday night with the entry fees and first hundred spectators making up the purse.

With track prep to 100 ft many a car went through the traps sideways.....
Compare to now a days where 200K will get you in the back of the field and the cars are running on flypaper and abort a run at the first sign of slippage and its no wonder why other than NPK the stands are basically empty.

Whats the answer? I don't know maybe a claimer no prep class LOL

·
Registered
7,499 Posts
Killed might be a strong word, perhaps when compared to the '60s absolutely.

My opinion, the ultimate responsibility for the decline lies ironically with Boomers and also Generation X. Youth today are just reacting to what options have been presented to them by those two generations. They are still filled with mostly the same testosterone, piss and vinegar as before.

It's a youth driven sport, and they sure as shit have no interest. Why would they?

Boomers have made sure old cheap performance cars are an untouchable investment for any young person.
Gen X have made sure new cheap performance cars don't exist.
Both have run up the cost of racing to full retard.
Both have enacted every law that keeps nailing this coffin shut.

·
Registered
8,308 Posts
its sad to go to a track and see only 10 people in the stands. maybe the owners should try lowering the prices down.
i know it costs money to keep a track open.
What's the point? If you cut the price in half and get 40% more people.....Well why?

I see that the low quality of entertainment of bracket racing, and the insane ever rising cost of heads up racing are killing the sport. What's left for tracks?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Being an oldie from back in the 60's drag racing scene.... I think the end started when the small local racer was ignored, by screwing over all all the stocker owners that had raced the same car for years (and by making their car obsolete), and deleting modified production.
Many raced in stock class then moved to mod production, using the same car body. Both classes were gone by mid 70's or so. The fans left with them.

Had to go to be newer car then, etc etc. Many people just felt like they got burned by NHRA. And TV was turned into pro class type races. OK to watch, but also for the average car guy, harder to want to relate to a $100,000 plus car of some kind.

And has been said.... over the years, thanks to the clowns trying to run the society, lots of sissy guys can't change the oil in their cars.

Anyway the old school drag racing was an era for the average person to have some fun, and a great experience, and at a reasonable expense. Not so much for the last 20-30+ years or so.

·
Registered
3,820 Posts
Very simple; technology.
Technology= more money to keep up, compete, etc.

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
View attachment 298028
View attachment 298027
Very true this truck i had ran this of course it was the left lane and had a V-6 only Modification was 93 octane fuel!!
I spent a lot of time and money making a 1984 S10 2dr Blazer run 14.0s at 100 back in the late 2000s. It was a lot of fun back then. Then the early 2010s came along and all the new Mustangs were running 12s and factory trucks running low 14s. One of my last trips to the track in that truck in about 2013 a factory stock V6 Honda Accord was beating me over and over again running 13.80s at 102-103 mph. Man that took the wind out of my sail for sure. I got rid of it and stepped up to an LS swapped 84 Corvette a few years later. The Corvette is shitload of fun and runs easy mid 11s at 125+ but I am starting to run into the same issues. Those new pony cars are so fucking fast I find myself in a similar predicament. I either need big power upgrades or jump to another platform just to stay ahead of the OEM stuff on the road.

·
Registered
6,498 Posts
I'd had added them but that's a given for not only dragstrips but any business... It's a shame what's happening to America and even more sad we just sit and do nothing about it. We as Americans are weak ass mother phuckers!!
Weak asses vote for the left, they are bringing down the house as fast as they can sell it.

·
Pontiac aficionado
3,092 Posts
Putting all the money in the top 2 spots for payoff and not paying decent money back thru the finishing spots caused a drop in the car count. Spend money, go 3 rounds and get nothing. Hummmmmmmmm.

201 - 220 of 248 Posts