Yellow Bullet Forums banner
181 - 200 of 248 Posts

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
I think the cost. Say what you will about bracket racing, but it does still allow someone to throw something together with their kids and be weekend warriors. As long as you are consistent, you can compete.
And you are correct. Until Mr. Brownstone shows up and almost always does. I have only met one person who didn't let that guy get in his head and that's my Dad. He has pile of Trophy's and never went any further. Most can't do that. And if so I have never met anyone else like that.

Dad can take his 16 year old daughter with a small budget and if they both try there will be success. But that's typically not how it works. Junior dragster is the staple of how to live your dream through the eyes of your kid... When a parent eats up more time at a starting line than a well funded Pro-stock team there's a problem lol...

JW

·
Registered
8,308 Posts
I see at local tracks all the time low dollar cars winning....consistently. Not so much in the no prep and other heads up type racing. Eventually the almighty dollar takes the win there.
In the big money races....of course you see higher investments. It's an investment just getting into those races. People are funny about what they spend on race cars at times too. Which cost more....your DD or your race car? Exactly how committed are you?

·
Administrator
137,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #183 ·
I think the cost. Say what you will about bracket racing, but it does still allow someone to throw something together with their kids and be weekend warriors. As long as you are consistent, you can compete.
Hi Dee!!

Bracket racing is awesome for the driver.. spectator not so much..

Index racing seems to keep the spectators in the stands watching..

I don't mind watching any class racing.. but sadly I am the minority...

·
Registered
7,385 Posts
We've had over 650 racers show up to YBN in years past. Covid race with limited racers we had just under 300... but keep looking in the mirror and tell yourself how much smarter you are than those who know.. You are a racer after all and why shouldn't you know the financial end?? :p:p:p
Lol. Damn...is this Horndogs account?
So....you had 650 cars show up to 1 of the 4 (I'd say) major heads up races for the year? Now that's good (honestly). But 400-500+ happens at ANY 25k and up race. And there are more than just 4 or so of these races. Not even sure why I'm arguing with someone who doesn't have a clue about this. It's like me arguing with you about the financial side.....except I never did and that's the only tool in your bag it seems. Again....stay in your lane and your seat.

·
Registered
7,385 Posts
Another note.
What bracket racing does is allows me to be at the track all day and hang out with some of the most genuine people I've ever met. Whether they have helped me or I've helped them. I've been around plenty of fake people in my life to know the difference. I don't think I could afford to be in the heads up game so my time would have been limited and opportunities/friends would have never happened. I would like to think this goes for any type of drag racing. That is almost half the reason I race I'd say.

·
Registered
7,385 Posts
I've haven't been to Dragway 42 yet since they reopened i do remember the old dusty Dragway 42 although they did have some good shade trees at the old track!!
Is is very nice (just look at the pics). Wish they'd change the win light to just staying on as it pulses now. Take the wrong look and you might not see you won (if other guy goes red and you leave first).

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
Marty nor Jensen race 1/4 mile.. Actually not many racers do anymore.. Easy to claim quickest when only 5% of racers are competing.. lol

Marty and Jensen have both gone much quicker than that "SB" Ford that's bigger than a 1100 CID Musi motor in the 1/8.. and neither needed 16 extra valves or 3 extra cams to do it.. Actually Jensen only needs 1 turbo to do it..

BTW Marty has a street car on baby tires compared to that featherweight Promod with a giant motor!! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
😂you just proved my point even more. Much quicker ? That “SB” ford ran a 3.72 and 218 to the 1/8 on one of its slower 1/4 passes. coyote is 351” and that SBC is 470”, it’s setup for 1/8 mile and the other car is 1/4 only. Twin 98s on that mutt and twin 94s on the little motor, and he’s still freight training his ass in the 1/8. Car weights are nearly identical. Stinnet went 3.69 on 315s.

Stinnet went to a SBC , now he’s no longer a contender. Looks like he should switch back

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
In the professional categories, multi-car teams definitely hurt. They killed off the privateer car owners. Next, is the NHRA’s dumbing down the rules and forcing cookie cutter cars. Finally, 1,000 foot tracks.
This says it all. I'll only ad that even the amateur/sportsman racers have followed suit and inadvertently raised the bar to the point where the average joe may feel embarrassed to pull into the pits with a pick up truck and a open trailer. all you see is 5th wheelers with awnings (and AC),stacker trailers toter homes etc...It's like a form of bullying or shaming.

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
No one has to work to go fast anymore. Pretty much everything sold today with a v6 or greater is running a 13-14s 1/4 at 95-100 or more trap. It used to take a lot of work, tinkering and tuning to get there and experience that kind of power and acceleration. Now you just go buy a Honda Odyssey. I think a giant generational gap has developed and the youngsters interested simply don't have the old timers around to give them some help like I had back in the late 90s, early 00s.

·
Registered
2019 Corvette ZO6
126 Posts
This says it all. I'll only ad that even the amateur/sportsman racers have followed suit and inadvertently raised the bar to the point where the average joe may feel embarrassed to pull into the pits with a pick up truck and a open trailer. all you see is 5th wheelers with awnings (and AC),stacker trailers toter homes etc...It's like a form of bullying or shaming.
Good point, although I can’t knock those that simply have more money. It does shows it has become a rich mans sport. I saw this start back in our days of Junior Drag racing. Some of the rigs parents pulled in with were unreal for a child’s sport. It made it more fun when we sent them packing up early.:)

·
Registered
998 Posts
1. Land. Most strips that were out in the middle of nowhere had things build up around them. Too many tree huggers and people move near tracks and then complain about the noise.

2. There's so much other stuff competing for your $$$ now and not nearly as much money left over for hobbies. The wife and I were talking about this the other day. You used to not have internet bills and expensive cell phone bills. There is also less leftover money of income vs taxes to pay hydro, groceries, growing mortgages, etc. Cost of living is SO much higher compared to income than it was.

3. I agree that open trailers helped get people excited. When I take my car on a trailer, I am constantly getting thumbs up and people talking to me.

4. Shop classes. Kids don't get their hands dirty and feel the excitement of accomplishing something with their own hands.

5. It didn't help up here (Great White North) when they completely banned leaded fuel, even for racing. The NHRA stopped coming here which almost killed some very nice tracks like SanAir. Some of them had to add drift tracks and stuff just to survive. A lot of the interest has shifted to stuff like that.

6. Younger people just don't go out as much as we did any more. I even find myself guilty of it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I'm lucky race with my son and grandson work on cars all winter race all summer get to race with a great bunch of guys and gals have a awesome track close run by a racer we have great turn out of spectators every week because of how track is run family atmosphere good food bring your grill and cooler if you want

·
Registered
428 Posts
very few drag cars have any appeal anymore. Just look at the Racing then and now thread, Back in the day race cars had names, were usually lettered up, had cool paint jobs, decals, etc. now most are made to look like street cars, no decals, no lettering, boring. Pro's are usually just painted in sponsors colors with stupid looking paint schemes. I could spend all day looking at photos of cars from the 60's, 70's, and 80's, even early 90' s. Current car photos you see a few cool looking ones but very few.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
I totally understand this but a track can be profitable enough to keep the doors open or very profitable where they wouldn't sell to the first bidder. I'm willing to bet the last 10 or so tracks that closed/sold wouldn't have if their stands were full every weekend...

BTW I appreciate your posts. I like objective views without the 3rd grade name calling...
How many local tracks can run a local heads up series, though? I think that is a big benefit to running a bracket series; bracket guys will show up every race and chase points. Heads up will dwindle as guys break, or realize they can’t compete. It seems to me that heads up is great for a couple events per season to help the profit margins, but the bracket races are what help keep the gates open every weekend.
So, how do we attract spectators to a bracket race? I’m really not sure. One idea I think could be worth trying, would be a calcutta, like golf tournaments or ropings. Something that gets spectators invested in the outcome, and maybe the track makes a little money off it.

·
Registered
8,308 Posts
How many local tracks can run a local heads up series, though? I think that is a big benefit to running a bracket series; bracket guys will show up every race and chase points. Heads up will dwindle as guys break, or realize they can’t compete. It seems to me that heads up is great for a couple events per season to help the profit margins, but the bracket races are what help keep the gates open every weekend.
So, how do we attract spectators to a bracket race? I’m really not sure. One idea I think could be worth trying, would be a calcutta, like golf tournaments or ropings. Something that gets spectators invested in the outcome, and maybe the track makes a little money off it.
Nailed it.

·
Registered
9,653 Posts
Jack stands, Camaro's look so much better on them than on the track.

Reactions: BLUEOVALRACER

·
Administrator
137,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #200 ·
😂you just proved my point even more. Much quicker ? That “SB” ford ran a 3.72 and 218 to the 1/8 on one of its slower 1/4 passes. coyote is 351” and that SBC is 470”, it’s setup for 1/8 mile and the other car is 1/4 only. Twin 98s on that mutt and twin 94s on the little motor, and he’s still freight training his ass in the 1/8. Car weights are nearly identical. Stinnet went 3.69 on 315s.

Stinnet went to a SBC , now he’s no longer a contender. Looks like he should switch back
Jensen ran 5.80s 12 years ago.. he ran a 3.65 to the 1/8 (much quicker than that unicorn Ford).. and he did it with 16 less valves, 3 less cams, 1 less turbo and 200 pounds heavier .. and that is a standard bore space SBC ...

Go Ford!!

181 - 200 of 248 Posts