Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like to kmow what your method is.
When clearing, I like to start on one side of roof, then other side of roof. Work my way down to the rear of the quarter panel. (I over lap half panels, so I don't have so much build up on edges). Work my way down the side back to front. Then clear the hood starting on that side and work my way across. Clear the other side using same method. Then finish with the bumper and deck lid.
Repeat process for each coat.

I don't paint for a career anymore and has been some time since I have.

What is you alls process on a complete paint job?

I am willing to try new ideas!
Thanks guys

·
Super Moderator
46,511 Posts
My spraying techniques differ depending on whether I'm spraying in a side draft booths vs down draft.

Down draft, I start on one side of the roof, starting in the middle and work my way to the side, then go to the other side and start in the middle again and work toward the other side. I also go down the rear sail panel on each side and stop before hitting the large part of the rear quarter.

I then do the trunk lid and surrounding valance and rear panels, standing behind the car, starting at the bottom of the rear window and working downward.

I then do the quarter connected to the first roof side/sail panel that I did, ensuring my paint will still melt into it.

Then the other quarter.

Then I do the opposite door, then the other.

As you can see I keep alternating sides, to keep painting panels near the ones that might set up first, so as not to let them dry too much before I spray an adjacent panel. Got to keep your paint melting in.

Then I do the hood just like the roof, but I travel right down onto the fender finishing it,....again making sure I start on the side where the first door was done.

I hope that makes sense.

In a cross draft, I just start at the end that is furthest from the exhaust fan, so I can continually wet the overspray that's if getting on the rest of the car as I paint.

If you start near the fan, as you work away from it, the overspray from your gun is getting on your freshly painted panels.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So on a cross draft, do you have the same technique of switching sides as you work your way back?
Or do you do your flat pieces first, then work down each side individually finishing up on the end nearest the filters?

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
The work here gets panel painted, but when the main car body is getting painted I start at center of roof down the sail panel, other side of roof down sail, back to opposite side lower quarter up and over trunk and down other quarter. Cross draft with fan at rear of car.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Is there anyone that sprays a roof or hood starting at your body forward then jumping to other side middle to edge? I have a paint Rep who insists on this method, keep a wet edge and from your belly and continue it over to other edge.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is there anyone that sprays a roof or hood starting at your body forward then jumping to other side middle to edge? I have a paint Rep who insists on this method, keep a wet edge and from your belly and continue it over to other edge.

Haha.....this is what I was trying to describe.
I start on one side of roof, or hood and work my way across to other side. This way it stays wet the whole way across.

·
Super Moderator
46,511 Posts
The work here gets panel painted, but when the main car body is getting painted I start at center of roof down the sail panel, other side of roof down sail, back to opposite side lower quarter up and over trunk and down other quarter. Cross draft with fan at rear of car.
That's pretty much how I described what I do,.....but my description was a lot more long winded,...lol,...sorry. :p

·
Super Moderator
46,511 Posts
I don't like that method because I don't like to be reaching over freshly applied, soaking wet paint with my arm, hose, gun, body, paint suit, etc,...etc,... when I can avoid it.

And unless you are the slowest painter in the world, starting at the center, then going to the other side to pick it up again in the center, is "not" going to be a problem as far as a wet edge is concerned.

·
Super Moderator
46,511 Posts
So on a cross draft, do you have the same technique of switching sides as you work your way back?
Or do you do your flat pieces first, then work down each side individually finishing up on the end nearest the filters?
I use the same, just start away from the exhaust, finish nearest to the exhaust.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Haha.....this is what I was trying to describe.
I start on one side of roof, or hood and work my way across to other side. This way it stays wet the whole way across.
I don't like that method because I don't like to be reaching over freshly applied, soaking wet paint with my arm, hose, gun, body, paint suit, etc,...etc,... when I can avoid it.

And unless you are the slowest painter in the world, starting at the center, then going to the other side to pick it up again in the center, is "not" going to be a problem as far as a wet edge is concerned.

If I can reach across panel say a decklid-off the car, then I will start at one edge and go to other with the starting edge nearest exhaust fan. As far as leaning over wet edge, I have hard time with that, I try to stay down wind:)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts