Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
02 camaro, 427lsx, 106mm turbo. air/water, 18psi, leaving on 10psi, no ramp on the boost, c02 boostcontrol ams1000. 3.25 gear, 28x10.5 stiff wall, 3400lb car.

i switched to a power glide and the car went from a 5.6 to a 5.9 and lost 10 mpg, went 121 tonight, use to be 130s

·
Registered
197 Posts
Most transmission builders that I've talked with don't recommend a powerglide for any car weighing more than 2800 pounds. That isn't to say that you can't, but more gears to get all that mass moving is usually better.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the th400 was a stock first gear(2.48 i think), i have 1.80 gears in the power glide

·
Registered
27,956 Posts
I'm thinking converter needs to be reworked also. You killed off a ton of torque multiplication going from a 400 to a glide.

·
Drag Week Survivor
14,409 Posts
Most transmission builders that I've talked with don't recommend a powerglide for any car weighing more than 2800 pounds. That isn't to say that you can't, but more gears to get all that mass moving is usually better.
It's a turbo car, turbos like to be loaded, in alot of cases the heavier car will prefer the glide, But the converter must be built accordingly.

·
Registered
27,956 Posts

Think that would only apply to N/A cars, small tire nitrous cars over 3000 lbs generally work better with a glide too.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i talked to cameron, he said hit it with more boost, like 16-20lbs out of the hole, that seems like a lot of boost, i left on 10 and ran a total of 15, the car went 6.0 at 117, i thought that was way off. what do you guys think?

·
Registered
27,956 Posts
Well, the whole point of having a taller (lower numerically) ratio in the trans is so you can leave on more power, whether it's a nitrous or turbo car. Try it and see what happens, it will either speed up or slow down. Then you will have your answer.

Usually though, a car will still make close to it's mph...or real close to it, seems to me that if he is telling you to hit it with more boost than you are even using the converter design was missed to begin with. Or, was this converter not built for this car?

·
Registered
500 Posts
My car runs a th400 ,3.73 gear a 26 x8.5 tire and weights 3450 lbs , 5.57 @131on 9psi of boost ,1.42 60ft ,,manual boost controller,, i think something is definitely wrong ..

·
Registered
478 Posts
Your old SLR was 8.06
Your new SLR is 5.85
That is over a 2-point move your results would be expected.
You need to get it in the low 7.?? to high 6.?? range.

SLR = Starting Line Ratio
1.80 X 3.25 = 5.85
1.80 X 3.75 = 6.75
1.80 X 3.90 = 7.02
1.80 X 4.10 = 7.398

SLR is your most important gearing there is.
Forget about your finish line gearing it will be what it is.

·
nightmare on any street..
5,033 Posts
did the car spin? I couldnt tell from the video do to the other car. If not, I would put the power to that thing and see what happens.....

·
Drag Week Survivor
14,409 Posts
Forget about your finish line gearing it will be what it is.

That's foolish. What if that mentality of SLR first yeilds a 9,000 Rpm trap? I gear my shit to not exceed a certain Rpm through the traps. Personally I gear my current turbo combo to not exceed 7,800 rpm with converter slip factored, With that I live with the SLR i have and just add more boost to get it going sooner.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts